Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Don't Girls Do PE?

Options
  • 14-05-2007 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭

Im getting kinda nostalgic here, its my last PE class (hopefully) ever and i just noticed during the year that out of our whole year only one or two girls actually do PE most of the time.

Maybe its just our school, or maybe i'm generalising but it just seems a bit odd tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

In my school a lot of them didnt want to do it cos i think when the girls ran we just stared at their boobies:D :D

But i think it was cos they didnt like getting sweaty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Is it a mixed school?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't it compulsory for everyone to do PE? I remember girls in my school trying to blame cramps and stuff but that only worked sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well I'm in an all girls school, but a lot of the time people don't do PE because they're lazy and don't like running around. Might mess up their hair, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is it a mixed school?

Yeah it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

In my school a lot of them didnt want to do it cos i think when the girls ran we just stared at their boobies:D :D

But i think it was cos they didnt like getting sweaty!

Your entire post wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

We don't get PE after the JC. Apart from slavery during TY...run a few miles..uphill...

We don't get PE after the JC. Apart from slavery during TY...run a few miles..uphill...

Is it a female complex or something?

I just don't understand it. Actually, I don't understand women full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Women can't play sport. That's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

Is there PE in senior cycle, I have not had a PE class since 3rd year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I had it in 4th and 5th but not in 6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

Nehpets wrote:

Sorry ur obviously confused....women can play sport n often play it better than men!! Also cson i always tog 4 pe n kick ye'r asses wen wer playin!!:D :D

Assez Bien wrote:
    Sorry ur obviously confused....women can play sport n often play it better than men!! Also cson i always tog 4 pe n kick ye'r asses wen wer playin!!:D :D

Oh yeah.....you.

Yeah me, u.......seriously tho u cant tar us all with the one 'women r only good 4 two things....cooking n bedding' brush

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a minefield. There's the whole issue of communal changing rooms, communal showers, sweatiness, men staring at your jiggling boobies and so on...

No messing here, but that's hard for a lot of teenage girls to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'd say it's down to a number of factors.

PE in Ireland is taught quite badly in a number of schools. And instead of being what it's supposed to be, it's a game of football or similar. Therefore, PE becomes competitive and about winning, losing and performance. Some women are put off sports by this type of competition, especially when they're often out competed by men.

Next, it's the physiological aspect. If you do PE and it requires you to run around this means sweat, being out of breath, rapid heart beat, and other uncomfortable side affects if you're quite unfit. So instead of getting the enjoyment out of exercise, unfit people can get cramps and other things.

Closely related to this is hygiene. Woman are probably a bit less enthusiastic about getting all sweaty and then not having the opportunity to shower properly either due to cold showers, no showers, dirty showers, lack of privacy, or not sufficient time. Then if they are self-concious or worried about their appearance they may not want to mess up makeup, hair, all that type of thing that usually doesnt apply to men.

Finally, and probably most important, either due to the above reasons or others, girls just aren't into sport and exercise as much as men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Nehpets wrote:

lol

Most do PE in our school. I don't coz I don't like any of the sports... they used let us play tennis/go swimming but the crappy new management did away with it. We have it once a week now too!

The only thing that puts me off playin with the lads is d roughness cuz dey purposely take me out of it usually as i'm d only girl playin!! They lik 2 laugh as u get hit etc.....but i rather play with lads ne day over girls cuz they're all lik wavin hands in d air n screamin n stuf n dats comin 4m a girly girl, also i despise sweating but after a while u get a bit of roughness into ya n its grand....i'd luv 2 give 90% of girls a gud kick up d arse.:D :D

Assez Bien wrote:
    'women r only good 4 two things....cooking n bedding'

You said it yourself there :D:p

Its a commonly recognised fact of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Dont forget Cleaning:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

now now boys, lets not be getting jealous of the girls, we can't help that most of us take a bit of pride iin our appearance in school!! :D

And AssezBien, please stop using text speak!!It's soo annoying, no one will take your post seriously if you keep it up!

Hey hush u, ye'd b very sorry without us!! May i ask wat are men good 4?! Nothing, i think is the answer ur lukin 4!! ha ha god i'm scarin myself soundin lik a feminist.....eww.:eek: :eek:

And AssezBien, please stop using text speak!!It's soo annoying, no one will take your post seriously if you keep it up![/QUOTE]

I'm sorry i think i have the right to freedom of speech, would you speak to me like that if i had a speech impediment?!:p :p

Ah no its just a habit, i write a lot of emails and have 2 write shorthand so it sticks whenever i'm at a computer!! Sorry 4 annoying you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I rather enjoyed PE for 1st-3rd year.

Assez Bien wrote:
    Hey hush u, ye'd b very sorry without us!! May i ask wat are men good 4?! Nothing, i think is the answer ur lukin 4!! ha ha god i'm scarin myself soundin lik a feminist.....eww.:eek: :eek:

The feminist warpath will only get ya a boot up the arse.
    Rozabeez wrote:
    I rather enjoyed PE for 1st-3rd year.

What happened then? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Hiya Assez Bien,

I enjoy your perspective, but it's annoying to me too, to read your text speak.

Besides, it's part of the terms and contitions, NOT to use it.
    (a sticky on the main page)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40505

regards,
    T

cson wrote:
    The feminist warpath will only get ya a boot up the arse.

No the only thing i was afraid of was the whole unshaven armpits a la a certain teacher in school!!!
    Yes i am being stereotypical but meh!

tampopo wrote:
    Hiya Assez Bien,

I enjoy your prespective, but it's annoying to me too, to read your text speak.

regards,
    T

I already apologised for it!! Would you like a letter in writing stating my sincere apologies for my actions!?:p :D

tampopo wrote:
    Hiya Assez Bien,

I enjoy your perspective, but it's annoying to me too, to read your text speak.

(a sticky on the main page)

regards,
    T

Right, she already apologised for it. The charter discourages people form using it, it doesn't say its not allowed, at least if you're going to quote it, quote it correctly.

Anyway, I'm not advocating its use, I fcuking hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

We stopped doing it in 5th year :(

Advertisement