Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Don't Girls Do PE?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Assez Bien wrote:
    I already apologised for it!! Would you like a letter in writing stating my sincere apologies for my actions!?:p :D

no no, not at all. I think our posts/messages overlapped when I was editing my spelling mistake.

mea culpa and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Assez Bien wrote:
    The only thing that puts me off playin with the lads is d roughness cuz dey purposely take me out of it usually as i'm d only girl playin!! They lik 2 laugh as u get hit etc.....but i rather play with lads ne day over girls cuz they're all lik wavin hands in d air n screamin n stuf n dats comin 4m a girly girl, also i despise sweating but after a while u get a bit of roughness into ya n its grand....i'd luv 2 give 90% of girls a gud kick up d arse.:D :D

What the F is this?
    I can't understand a thing you said, it all just looks like random letters to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

tuxy wrote:
    What the F is this?
    I can't understand a thing you said, it all just looks like random letters to me.
    2 Hours ago called, it wants its comment back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

cson wrote:
    What happened then? :p

:D

The women seem to representing the "txt spkin", non-PE partaking generation that has come about. They still make a nice cake though!! :D

Am I the only person here who never had PE in secondary school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Assez Bien wrote:
    Sorry ur obviously confused....women can play sport n often play it better than men!!
    Name 1 real sport in which women consistently perform better than men. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Girls don't do PE because the gender specific social conditioning of the past has not yet been fully erased from Irish society.

If only they'd realise that they'd probably more attractive and healthy in the long run if they actually did do PE(ie. less likely to get fat or have to control their weight with retarded diets).

Then again, that's a paradox, since the social conditioning that discourages teenage girls from playing sport is the same social conditioning that makes them think that looking attractive is the most important thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

:confused:

I attend an all girls school and we all do PE up until leaving cert.

But I guess it's a pretty sporty school...and the facilities are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Naikon wrote:
    Dont forget Cleaning:)

and ironing.

thats it.. thats all...
    wimminz..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Girls don't do PE because the gender specific social conditioning of the past has not yet been fully erased from Irish society.

If only they'd realise that they'd probably more attractive and healthy in the long run if they actually did do PE(ie. less likely to get fat or have to control their weight with retarded diets).

Then again, that's a paradox, since the social conditioning that discourages teenage girls from playing sport is the same social conditioning that makes them think that looking attractive is the most important thing in the world.

Excellent insight Prof. JC 2K3.

Seriously though, thats about the most intellectual post I've ever read on Boards. Fantastic!

• Advertisement

Myth wrote:
    Am I the only person here who never had PE in secondary school?
    I thought it was compulsory for schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Marshy wrote:
    Name 1 real sport in which women consistently perform better than men. :p

Shopping.

Rozabeez wrote:
    Shopping.

Nah, men are better at that too, know what they want, exactly where it is and don't impulse buy as much as wimmin. So there for ya....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

cson wrote:
    Nah, men are better at that too, know what they want, exactly where it is and don't impulse buy as much as wimmin. So there for ya....

When was the last time you met a man who'd just found an amazing bargain?? Women have eyes for detail, y'see.

PE was compulsory between 1st-3rd year. It's optional now, but all you can do is hockey. I hate hockey, so I'd much rather spend the two hours a week in the library getting homework out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Rozabeez wrote:
    Shopping.

Just because you choose to carry a baseball bat when you shop, does not make it a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

cson wrote:

This! We don't take half a day to settle on a pair of shoes, and try on half the shop on the meantime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

cson wrote:

Ironing burns off around 300 calories if you have a big load.
    Hoovering burns off another 100 calories or so.
    Shopping is like weights, especially with these huge bags that are in fashion ya know... we just can't leave anything out.

Straightening you hair increases the muscle size of the Biceps.
    erm, and then having to lift all the clothes off the floor (again) to re-decide what to wear, its all hard sweaty work ya know!

I thought it was compulsory for schools?

Not sure how that'd be enforced when a school didn't have any sports facilities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i went to an all girls school and every single week without fail we'd bitch and whine about having to do PE so every single week without fail we'd be brought out for a walk instead!! :)

Malteaser! wrote:
    i went to an all girls school and every single week without fail we'd bitch and whine about having to do PE so every single week without fail we'd be brought out for a walk instead!! :)

Why?! Whats the big drama with doing PE? Its good for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i actually don't know, i think at 16 we were all just feeling a bit stroppy about being made do it!

The set up of it was crap and we all hated the PE teachers so i guess it was kinda a 'rebellion' againt them!! It feels like forever ago so i can't actually remember our real reasons!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

Can't speak for everyone but I can tell you why I don't do PE, and I'm in an all girls school...

No changing rooms
    No showers
    No PE Hall
    Every class is either rounders, football or a walk around the field.

It'd make more sense if they tried to encorporate more non-competitive things. We do have a trampoline but for some reason beyone me it's "for third years only."

Also classes are only 40 minutes long, so subtract five minutes to get into your PE uniform and five minutes to get out it only really leaves half an hour to do anything (that's assuming there isn't another 5 minutes lost for getting equipment ready and another ten for role call and the arguments with people who don't want to do PE.)

Well, you're not going to work up enough of a sweat in 30 mins to need a shower and what's the problem with no changing rooms? It's not like you have to get naked or anything. Sure girls get ready for discos and the likes in the company of their friends anyway.

And what's wrong with competitive things? More often than not, "non-competitive activities" is just code for "less physically exerting activities" - ie. not proper excercise.

I know what you mean with the lack of time, but if all goes to plan and you get 30 mins, it's still enough to do you some good.

I think the real, and larger, question, which extends beyond this forum, is whether or not teenage girls get enough proper excercise in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Our school has showers but i'd say i'm one of around 10 guys in the school who has actually used them, everyone seems to prefer to be dirty rather than share the showers with another naked man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Well, you're not going to work up enough of a sweat in 30 mins to need a shower

I disagree... 5/10 mins is easily enough if the exercise you're doing is anyway exerting... especially if you're out in the sun. and i'm not talking as someone unfit either...

Well, I meant to need a shower instantly. It's impractical to have showers after PE. You change your clothes, so it's not all that unhygenic to wait max 3/4 hours to have one when you go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Well, I meant to need a shower instantly. It's impractical to have showers after PE. You change your clothes, so it's not all that unhygenic to wait max 3/4 hours to have one when you go home.

Oo
    Questionable personal hygiene ethics tbh.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Well, you're not going to work up enough of a sweat in 30 mins to need a shower and what's the problem with no changing rooms? It's not like you have to get naked or anything. Sure girls get ready for discos and the likes in the company of their friends anyway.

And what's wrong with competitive things? More often than not, "non-competitive activities" is just code for "less physically exerting activities" - ie. not proper excercise.

I know what you mean with the lack of time, but if all goes to plan and you get 30 mins, it's still enough to do you some good.

I think the real, and larger, question, which extends beyond this forum, is whether or not teenage girls get enough proper excercise in general.
    Girls..Exercise? Anorexia is the new thing!

JC 2K3 wrote:

Yeah, have a lynx (or in girly cases, sure) shower - aka knacker shower and no-one will know the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My all-girls school has a double PE from first through to sixth year, with a triple in TY
    I hate it though,because we do yoga, badminton and grooming.
    sexist much?
    I want to play an actual sport,like basketball, tennis, hockey or dodgeball
    but for some reason after third year we have to do this female rubbish

Advertisement