Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a possible career change into accountancy a lost cause?

• 14-05-2007 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

I have unfortunately had a bit of a disjointed career path to date. I currently work in a public sector organisation in Belfast, but tbh I kind of just drifted into the position and it by no means excites me. To briefly sum up by past, I completed my law degree at University of Ulster and then moved to Manchester to do a Legal Practice course.

Unfortunately I failed my legal practice course and ended up working for crap money as a paralegal in various places then in some call centres. However one position I temped in was with PwC in Manchester. Working here exposing me to the areas of audit and assurance and I grew to become interested in this particular area. I then read up on how one might go about getting ACA or CIMA qualified etc. However, I feel that I will be up against it with this one.

It seems that virtually everywhere insists upon a 2:1 and above at degree. Now I got a 2:2. I would be grateful if someone could advise me whether or not I have any chance whatsoever of potentially carving out a career in accountancy/audit.

Further to this, due to the fact that I have no prior academic accounting experience, should I do a Graduate Diploma in Accounting to make myself more marketable or should I just get on with sending out letters to accountancy practices with attached CV telling them that I have decided upon a career change and give my reasons why?

Sorry for the long post but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Anyone???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

If you dont send any cv's you certainly wont get the position you are after. A lot of places like to hire grads/employees with a legal background especially in assurance services.

It would be beneficial to think about beginning some sort of accounting course, whether it be a diploma, degree or ACCA/CIMA to gain a basic background. If they see this on your cv it will show that you are serious about the change and shows incentive.

Few of my friends got 2:2 in there accounting degrees and had no problems getting into practice. Personally I work in funds, another area where you could look to if its available, couple guys i worked with had law degrees and picked it up easily enough.

My advice is give it a go if its what you really want, nothing to lose.

Eggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

eggie wrote:
    If you dont send any cv's you certainly wont get the position you are after. A lot of places like to hire grads/employees with a legal background especially in assurance services.

It would be beneficial to think about beginning some sort of accounting course, whether it be a diploma, degree or ACCA/CIMA to gain a basic background. If they see this on your cv it will show that you are serious about the change and shows incentive.

Few of my friends got 2:2 in there accounting degrees and had no problems getting into practice. Personally I work in funds, another area where you could look to if its available, couple guys i worked with had law degrees and picked it up easily enough.

My advice is give it a go if its what you really want, nothing to lose.

Eggie.

Thanks for that! It just sometimes seems that these days when there are so many more graduates around that employers can opt to choose just 2:1 graduates. It is reassuring to heart of people out there with 2:2s that have got somewhere. I am actually thinking about doing a graduate diploma in accounting in University of Ulster. This course earns me quite a few exemptions from the professional qualifications it seems as well. It is good to get a few pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deebm

if you avoid the larger practices you should have no problem getting a job as trainee particularly in uk. make sure you have a valid reason for 2.2 even if its only young away from home etc, they will want to know that you are acedemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deebm

if you avoid the larger practices you should have no problem getting a job as trainee particularly in uk. make sure you have a valid reason for 2.2 even if its only young away from home etc, they will want to know that you are acedemic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement