Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox live.Broadband for Apartments

• 14-05-2007 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

im moving out of my home (nice folks left it to me for a while when they moved country) where i have eircom 3mb.

i use xbox live and torrents daily. i know im going to be restricted but im trying to find the best option.

i have a fear that i will end up getting clearwire and that would be my last resort.

does anyone here have a apartment with a succesful wireless connection to support xbox 360 live?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Apartments are messy, as most of the time apartment location, structure and landlord will not permit installation of a satellite etc.

I'm in a similar situation as yourself and I just went for the Eircom package with wireless router....which you probably are already familiar with in your last place of residence.

I know its a bit pricey as you need to get a phone line in but in my area (Harolds Cross) it was one of the few real options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i didnt think they did a wireless broadband. i presumed they only did DSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

By wireless he means he's using asdl with a wireless router... Im using BT n find them great...

My mate lives in bog land n is using Irish broadband(wireless) and its grand for Live

and do you know what kind of package he uses? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Theres two types of wireless BB that you can get around Dublin. One with an aerial and one with a box you just plug in. The plug in box will give you horrible ping time which will make playing online impossible but will be ok for downloading. With an external aerial it will work fine but I assume thats not a choice for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have Irish Broadband and am able to play HL2 online with it with low latency.

Just don't go down the ripwave route. Breeze is the package you want. Basically you'll have to attach an reciever to the apartment more than likely or get a phone line/cable provider.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Don't go with Clearwire if you like braodband for anything apart from surfing!
    They have blocked P2P (torrents ect) and a 2 Meg connection is €59 Per Month (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Moussdog

I'm living in an apartment in Dublin 8 and was faced with the same dilemma i.e. no satellites, no phone line. I was convinced to go with magnet as I had heard great things but it wasn't until I rang NTL to setup my digital TV (Can't get sky - no satellites) that they advised me they could supply me with broadband aswell.

Now I know alot of people complain about NTL service but I havn't had 1 single problem with them. If you enquire about special offers they also give you the first 6 months half price. 6mb broadband and all channels (movies sport etc) for €60.

I use the internet for identical purposes, torrents and xbox live. Have a look into it anyway.

yeah ive heard both great and bad about NTL. i dont know if i can cope with a crap connection with my xbox live. ill probably be living in Rathfarnham area if that makes any difference.

mostly new places around there..would that mean they would be wired for telelphones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They should but there's no guarantees because this government takes broadband that seriously.

I'd go with NTL if I were you because generally only the people with problems are vocal so they are probably okay. It would be useful if you could find out from someone else if they are good in your area. If you head over to xbox360-ireland.com there is a thread on what broadband each user is on. If you go to the broadband section here, you might be able to find someone living in the area that can advise you.

• Advertisement

ahh you part of shane and the cow invasion :P

Advertisement