Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yildiz any good?

Options
  • 14-05-2007 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

I just bought a new yildiz under over shot gun. Its was cheaper than other second hand over unders i was looking at plus it was brand new. Anyone know what these guns are like, are they reliable? Im just a beginner so its no beretta quality Im after, but I still want somethin half decent. Any thoughts or comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

From the reports coming in on them,they seem to be pretty good value for money,and near enough on par with Spanish guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Its was cheaper than other second hand over unders i was looking at plus it was brand new. Any thoughts or comments?

Good luck with the new gun Foxman.

Yildiz are relatively new to the Irish Market, yet I have already seen a good number of them well loosened out.
    Generally, guns are similar to any other commodity in that you get what you pay for.

A Yildiz will fire when you pull the trigger and will invariably hit your target if you point it in the right direction yet I am of the belief that the shooting experience is diminished when using a lower grade gun.

This standard gun will adequately serve you for a stroll around the fields taking the odd shot but I would not recommend it for you or the well being of the gun to undertake prolonged sessions at clays or a red letter day in the pigeon hide, as I believe that they are just not this type of gun.

The plus of buying a starter grade gun is that you can find your way in the shooting world with it and having decided on whether you want to take up target shooting you can then move up a grade to a more suitable model.

Good luck with the new gun, many hours of happy safe shooting with it.

P.S. Before anyone else pipes in I will openly declare that Yes, I am a self professed shotgun snob! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

Foxman,

One of my best friends bought a Yildiz, and it was absolutely crap. A dreadful, unreliable gun, that literally fell apart in 2 years( screws falling out). As soon as you can move it on, and make sure the dealer you bought it from will honour a trade-in, and does not offer to sell it for you, as happened to my friend. For the record I am not a gun snob, but with first hand experience of this turkish rubbish I cannot recommend them.

mosulli4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

What would you recommend as a good beginner shotgun for foxman then?

Yildiz??
    Lanber??
    Miroku??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

you could try and pick up a 2nd hand Browning or beretta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Own a yildiz, good field gun, wouldnt go bashing a couple hundred clays out of it!! Wouldnt be too kean on spending the day shooting crows with it either, invest in a new shoulder if you do, but you get what you pay for!! An entry level O/U for rough field shooting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

If you want something robust, reasonably priced and able to act as an all rounder You'd be much better off going for a Lanber sporter. i've just replaced one with a B525 and i already regret not keeping it as a second hide gun.:(

The only reason i changed it is because i am a gun snob:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Hezz700 wrote:
    If you want something robust, reasonably priced and able to act as an all rounder You'd be much better off going for a Lanber sporter.

+1

Additionally, have a look at the Winchester Select.

A little pricier than the Lanber but you are getting a very good value gun for your money.

Buying guns is very similar to cars, I often ask shooters, if they had a fixed fee whether they would buy a second hand quality make of gun or a brand new piece of sh*t?

I suppose the question answers itself.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Yildiz??
    Lanber??
    Miroku??

Yet another Lanber fan here, very hard to beat for value.

Why do you have Miroku on the list? They'd be in a higher class altogether than the "price conscious" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

I shoot a Benelli semi auto usually but last year was informed that many clay shooting grounds are not happy with semi auto's. I noticed this myself after being told and on a few occasions it was mentioned.

I decided to buy a budget O/U for clays as I only shoot them for practice and also to support club fund raising.

I bought a Bettinsoli Sporter and was amazed with the build and quality.....great value for money at €420 second hand. The gun was in 'as new' condition , still stiff & tight when you opened it.

I would definitely recommend a second hand Bettinsoli as a budget starter gun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

Those Bettinsolis are a nice looking gun, wouldnt mind a turn with one.

But to the point of the thread, Foxman will be fine if its just for game or the odd rabbit. The field grade Yildiz will shoot loose quickly if used for regular clay shooting. Spares are available readily through Millards but that's cold comfort when you have to get the gun rejointed after 1000 cartridges.

So If its going to be shot like, 50 times a year or so then it'll be fine for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Thanks for the thoughts. Ill only be using it for a bit of vermin control and maybe the odd pheasent if i have time, no clays or anythin like that so i should be ok then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 etoman3

i bought a semi automatic yildiz professional and was wondering if anyone has one is there any problems with it or is it a reliable gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Im shooting one and i find it ok have spent time shooting pigeons and clays and it seems ok. Though i will be upgrading to a berreta once money allows.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Baikal are as good a gun as you will get for the money. Hardly ever seen a bad review. ;) Thinkin of the semi auto version myself at the moment, funds permitting:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

etoman3 wrote: »
    i bought a semi automatic yildiz professional and was wondering if anyone has one is there any problems with it or is it a reliable gun?

i have one about 2 yrs now ,the locking bolt broke on it but i got another one no prob ,other than that it serves a purpose ,pigeons and ducks from a hide and the odd fox drive

ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jamesomara

MrFoxMan,
    Don't worry about the gun: get out there, be safe, and have fun.

I have had expensive guns that shot like crap and cheap guns that shot like Olympians.

Once you notice that you gun is limiting you (not the other way around) then you'll know it's time for a new one.

Until then, get out and shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

A friend of mine has one (yildiz) about 18 month's and has broken the firing pin 3 times allready,I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

Yildiz are produced by a company in Turkey as their own brand, they also mass produce gun parts widley used in the Italian guntrade and by one English manufacturer.

AYA of Spain produce their own line of guns and mass produce gun parts widley used in Spain the UK and America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 etoman3

thanks for the info i'll be doing the same as soon as i get the fianance just waiting for funds and the gun licencing to simmer down abit for the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

i started shooting when i was 17 im 26 now i was given a baikal
    fixed choke over an under i had the gun for 6 years and it never let
    me down and it got a fair few knocks and bangs and its still being
    used to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I got a Lanber O/U last December and I can't fault it. I was in another shop and they where pushing the Yildiz on me and throwing in a case and game bag. However, I spent a few extra hundred on the Lanber and I'm well pleased with it. I have used it for pigeons, hares, crows. I have never fired a Yildiz but I researched them before I brought and the same points metioned here where coming up again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

I have a yildiz now for a few years only use it for a bit of vermin control and a bit of pheasant shooting.
    If you not going to be banging hundreds of clays every weekend or out in the fields the yildiz will do you fine no point having €2000 worth of a gun sitting in a safe collecting dust.
    Once you find yourself spending more time out with the gun then you can go looking at a more up market shotgun (like i did) def recommend a beretta at that stage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Hey foxman, first gun i ever bought was a lanber game gun, bought it of sean harding for about 450 new i think, about 9 years ago. Shot foxes, ducks, pheasant, rabbits and pigeon. Ive put countless amounts of cartriges through it and can honestly say ive never had a bit of bother with it. I would defenitly recommend them. Had a friend that had a yildiz and it literally fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Buying my first gun and was looking in to Yildiz, but am reading better reviews on the Baikals. Loking at this deal at the moment- http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.........Anyone know what these guns are like..........

Short answer...............****e :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

i have a yildiz o/u for about a year now, its the first shotgun i've owned and i cant complain. i use it for rough shooting, a bit of vermin, and every now and then i'll blast 20 or 30 clays with it. if i start to use the shotgun more i might upgrade to a fabarm semi auto. a mate has one and its one of the nicest shotguns i've ever put up to my shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

They are a heap of ****, they break firing pin's wholesale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Buy a gun that fits you properly.
    Buy the gun, not the name.
    Yildiz make some good and some crap guns.
    Lanber ditto.
    Baikal are tough, usually heavy and often ugly.
    Buy a good second-hand Brit or Spanish gun.
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Bananaman wrote: »
    What would you recommend as a good beginner shotgun for foxman then?

Yildiz??
    Lanber??
    Miroku??

Baikal......beat down briers and drive fence posts:p

Advertisement