Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oh what to do...

• 14-05-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

i'm going to be building a new computer in the next couple of weeks but i'm left with a AMD 3000+ cpu (2.0ghz), an MSi K8N neo3(nForce 4 with pci-ex) and a gig of pc3200(scan oem elixir 2X512). I'd like to do something with them but selling them on ebay wont get me much money and i don't think building a new system around them wouldn't be worthwhile. Overclocking really isn't an option given that the board refuses to post after a 100ghz increase in CPU speed. Do you think i should hold on to them a build a system or just forget they ever existed and move on to my new pc? in saying that i wouldn't mind a pc in my living room...:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Make it a media centre pc maybe? I dont have a clue how to go about it but it could be done id say?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

i was thinking along those lines but i was trying to figure out what parts to buy i was thinking case wise of maybe an akasa zen just cause they are so cheap but do you think the system could run vista smoothly? i suppose that is majorly graphics based... i wouldn't mind doing that just is there any way of doing it on the cheap, i kinda spent alot of money on my last rig:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You could run vista no problems, But dont expect it to be fast. Your best bet would to load ubuntu on it, and use it as a media pc/file server. Just throw in a wifi card and a 750gb hdd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Sounds like a good idea any suggestions for a graphics card, power supply etc. I would really like to mod a case as well but don't know where to start. Initially i was thinking of a paintjob maybe red but i'd like to cut a detailed window. There's some pretty cool stencils on this site but some can be a bit complex, am i being a bit adventurous for a my first time with a dremel?

Also given the value of my processor is pretty much null at this stage i was thinking of lapping it and seeing the sticky i'm almost sold but i was curious can you buy similar materials to that lapping kit in Ireland?

Advertisement