Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger English (Teaching English Abroad)

• 14-05-2007 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've noticed a lot of english teaching jobs abroad originating from this company on jobs.ie With all the cowboy outfits around and with all the perks these guys seem to be offering to their employees (free return tickets to Korea, free accomodation, 1550-2000 euro/month (is this the average salary for english teachers abroad?) no experience neccesary etc.) I'm just wondering if anyone knows of, or has had experience with them and what kind of rep. do they have? If I'm going to be flying halfway around the world to work for them it'd be nice to hear some opinions. thanks

I've also been looking around at teaching English to foreign students within Ireland but the few colleges I've looked at require a degree of some form or another (which I don't have and most likely won't be attaining anytime soon). I'm under the impression this is a State requirement to teach English in any form within Ireland, or are there other options open to me if I want to pursue this without spending the next 3-4 years back in college getting a degree...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

whitelie wrote:
    I've noticed a lot of english teaching jobs abroad originating from this company on jobs.ie With all the cowboy outfits around and with all the perks these guys seem to be offering to their employees (free return tickets to Korea, free accomodation, 1550-2000 euro/month (is this the average salary for english teachers abroad?) no experience neccesary etc.) I'm just wondering if anyone knows of, or has had experience with them and what kind of rep. do they have? If I'm going to be flying halfway around the world to work for them it'd be nice to hear some opinions. thanks

I've also been looking around at teaching English to foreigners within Ireland but the few colleges I've looked at require a degree of some form or another (which I don't have and most likely won't be attaining anytime soon). I'm under the impression this is a State requirement to teach English in any form within Ireland, or are there other options open to me if I want to pursue this without spending the next 3-4 years back in college getting a degree...?

Hi Whitelie,

As far as I know a university degree is a requirement for teaching in Ireland. I don't think there is any way of getting around that. It's not a strict requirement in the UK though (at least it wasn't a few years ago for summer school teaching anyway) or in some other countries.
    I don't know anything about the Asian company you are describing, but the conditions they offer do sound too good to be true... I think there might be something fishy going on there, though the salary and conditions in some Asian countries do seem to be a lot better than most European countries, and maybe they are just desparate for English teachers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

hi, i can only speak for korea but as far as i know most other asian countries are the same or similar.

most foreign teachers with most agencies in korea are offered free accomodation for the duration of your contract. you are also offered your return flights paid for too. on top of that you are given a bonus of one months pay when you successfully complete your contract. you are required though, to pay into a pension and also for medical care from your monthly salary. im not quite sure how much for each, but most places will pay 50% of all medical costs which arise while you are under a contract.

before signing any contract though you should always read through it a couple of times. i am at the moment looking for a job so ive been researching the background of schools online and its not been a pretty picture. lets just hope it is better than what ive read from some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JamesBarrow

Hi:pac:

:cool:most foreign teachers with most agencies in korea are offered free accomodation for the duration of your contract. you are also offered your return flights paid for too. on top of that you are given a bonus of one months pay when you successfully complete your contract. you are required though, to pay into a pension and also for medical care from your monthly salary. im not quite sure how much for each, but most places will pay 50% of all medical costs which arise while you are under a contract and i thank u...........:)
    www.staffingpower.com

www.sentersoftech.com

Advertisement