Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torrent Download speed

Options
  • 14-05-2007 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for improving download speed using ripwave from Irish Broadband.
    I am currently getting a max download speed of 40/50 kb/s.
    I've heard people saying they are getting 200/300 kb/s.
    I usually download overnight or when i'm at work during the day so it is'nt really a problem but it would be nice to get those blistering speeds I hear people mention.
    Is this as fast as I can expect with ripwave?
    Am I correct in saying that port forwarding is only an issue if you use a router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 revin

hey there. I think the main thing to consider with torrents is the upload speed. you need to find a max upload speed that is something like 80% of your actual upload max in order to leave some spare bandwidth for other comms, new connection negitiations etc etc. through testing with my 3mb BT line I found that a max torrent upload speed of 25kB was best, as my real top upload speed is more like 35kb/s. Any higher and it actually chokes the download speed believe it or not. Any lower and the other torrent leechers are not getting enough from you, so they are not giving their max to you.

Obviously the number and quality of seeders/leechers makes a big difference (one guy from the US with a FAT pipe can give you 200k on his own!) but trying different upload speed ratings will help you reach your best potential speed.

hope this helps!

Kev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

i use Utorrent and without even opening up a port, I get speeds of 200/250k max. Setting my upload to 10 because anything lower will reduce the download speed and anything higher the same.

When I opened up a port I got 350k constantly..I am with BT.

My firewall is on but I have allowed uTorrent to access the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

I think thats the best your gonna get from Ripwave. Its not really true Broadband. I have the ripwave plus and i'm pretty close to the mast and the most i've ever gotten was 70Kb/s down. Just to see what my upload was like i didnt put a limit on it and the best i got up was only about 20 kb/s, so i now limit it to 10.

To be honest its more than i expected from ripwave.on the Eircom 1mb package the most i got down was about 100 kb/s. Considering the standard ripwave is only 512kb down, your not doing too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I was thinking as much, I can still download maybe 1.5gb per day which is fine for my needs.
    I still think that ripwave is a decent enough product for the price considering there is no download cap with the service.
    I once tried tampering with the settings whilst under the influence expecting blazing speeds but ended up doing more harm than good, had to restore by computer settings and now use the default settings on Utorrent.
    Thanks for you help, looks like i'm not gonna get those speeds unless I get a landline.

Advertisement