Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE Broadband 100% Coverage by end of year?

Options
  • 14-05-2007 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

What do you think to their claim in The Sunday Business Post? Can they do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No-one can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

He's right, it can't be done, Dempsey made a similar promise on the webcast on RTE last week but it's just an electioneering stunt, it WILL NOT HAPPEN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

any company that makes that sort of claim are Charlatans.

Noted :(

The Government could do it by using a mix of ISPs. But not their current idea using a fake coverage map and a single winner of a NBS. The NBS might give 70% to 80% coverage.

Many people in areas currently "offically" with DSL or Wireless coverage can't get it. No-one is going to publically release how many people are not even tested or fail install in "covered" areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dreambiz

watty wrote:
    No-one can do it.

They said this about people flying too, man-on-the-moon, etc. It's an admirable goal at the very least.

Since I badly need/want the coverage that isn't available in my area (the middle of Co. Wicklow) I'm going to try and hold them to it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Expect them to be coming soon in 2020 Dreambiz .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What watty should have said was that no one will do it. It is possible that the whole country could avail of broadband services, through various media, but it's unlikely that any one company will over do it. Given unlimited financial backing it could happen, but they'd never get a return for their investment so no company is going to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

100% coverage by the end of the year me arse.

I'm one of the poor unfortunates that pay for ice and half the time the connection's unusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Sounds like Eircell ten years ago..No way will they do it..Its a get your name around the place stunt..
    i was however talkin to a mate of mine that works for Ice and he tells me in the next six to eight weeks they hope to be turning on over thirty base stations.. (in various locations).. So they are trying...:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dreambiz wrote:
    They said this about people flying too, man-on-the-moon, etc. It's an admirable goal at the very least.

Since I badly need/want the coverage that isn't available in my area (the middle of Co. Wicklow) I'm going to try and hold them to it!

When did people start flying?

• Advertisement

Gossamer Condor: Guy peddled flying clingfilm plane across channel?

But no flying pigs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭lukin

The thing is some non-techie people think that when every single exchange in the country is DSL-enabled that means there is 100% b'band coverage.
    Of course this is not the case due to the 4km distance issue.
    As it stands b'band is available everwhere in Ireland, because you can get satellite b'bad anywhere but it costs too much.
    What me and others want is 100% affordable b'band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Satellite broadband can't be used for playing games online either because of bad latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Mayhem, if you want to participate in a conversation here reply in the thread instead of linking to your blog.

Moriarty wrote:
    Mayhem, if you want to participate in a conversation here reply in the thread instead of linking to your blog.

You want me to cut & paste then?

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If it's relevant to the thread, I really don't care how it gets into the text box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Maybe they should concentrate on giving their existing customers a proper service, before they start talking about the whole country.
    Their Speed is less than dial up a lot of the time. It most certainly isnt the speed that they sold their customers.

Latency is so bad that games and voip are impossible, yet they sell their own gamer and voip packages.

do a search on icecomms and you'll see what i mean.

PS : Isnt Fran Rooney famous for talking big but not actually having what he says he has. Baltimore ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I read that blog , what bits of irishwan are using mesh ?

bushy... wrote:
    I read that blog , what bits of irishwan are using mesh ?

I am not actively involved with the IrishWAN but IIRC the parts of the network that were managed by Marlow as least were mesh capable. That was off course before he and his network was un-ceremoniuosly removed form the network...
    Off course feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

E.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

mayhem# wrote:
    I am not actively involved with the IrishWAN but IIRC the parts of the network that were managed by Marlow as least were mesh capable.

E.

Lemme guess you have mesh gear for sale now .....

Anyway back to it , using and capable are two different things , the whole thing was/is/could be easily mesh capable
    ..... Just like part of it was running ospf years ago on an OS put together by a lad in that area, with no problems.

It stopped at a node running two different commercial OS's side by side , on of them didn't do ospf too well . Why didn't it run the magic homegrown OS ? Cos it was a good few years ago and ( open source) drivers weren't out for the cards at the time.

So a year or so ago , Marlow tried to get ospf going on some nodes up around Galway ( most running the commercial OS that didn't work properly) . Then something like a power failure type thing would happen and cause chaos.

Anyway Marlow clearly states that his network has nothing to do with the wan , look on the boards here or give him a call.

Advertisement