Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs

Options
  • 14-05-2007 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Alright.
    I'm 17 and will be doing my leaving cert this summer. Our class debs has been planned and almost everyone is real excited. Just out of curiosty, does it really matter if u go by yourself and if so, why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you look about 5 threads above you, theres a thread on the debs already. But anyway you're new, we're a new group of LCs and maybe we should have our own Debs thread.

First of all 17 is a dodgy age to be going to the Debs, most of them are pretty strict on ID so I'd sort that out.

Secondly, its no major drama in my opinion if you don't bring someone. You might miss out on the typical pictures etc but its no big deal really. If you really want someone.....there'll be plenty for you at it, logic goes out the window with drink.

Nuair a bhionn an t-ol istigh bionn an chiall amuigh. Or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Last year I was 17 and the place never checked for ID at all

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

If you are only 17 for the Debs, you have to leave at 00.30,when the whole thing does not finish until 02.00.

There is legislation about it and SHOULD be enforced by all hotels, but some may just ignore it. However I know the rochestown park in Cork is very strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

If you are only 17 for the Debs, you have to leave at 00.30,when the whole thing does not finish until 02.00.

There is legislation about it and SHOULD be enforced by all hotels, but some may just ignore it. However I know the rochestown park in Cork is very strict.
    2am? ours finishes around 6am. We have a booked breakfast for 5:30am!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

It ends in the hotel we are going to at exactly 2 but will go to the airport and leisureplex after this

• Advertisement

The legislation regarding this is quite clear; a person under thage of 18 cannot be in a licenced premises after 9:30 pm in the summer months. Debs or no Debs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

cson wrote:
    The legislation regarding this is quite clear; a person under thage of 18 cannot be in a licenced premises after 9:30 pm in the summer months. Debs or no Debs.
    It wasnt enforced for my debs last year( same as nehpets) and I was 17. idn't need ID either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

cson wrote:
    Choosing to obey it though, well, sin sceal eile. I think ours'll be going on until 3 or 4 in the morning with only half a dozen at most being 18 (excluding dates).

Yeah, it depends on hotel management I guess. I hope they're really strict at ours because most of our year will be 18 (well the ones that matter will :p ) and theres a whack load of underage 5th years coming to the afters (we sell afters tickets to cover costs) and I don't like any of them. They're a cocky arrogant bunch slagging us about having exams, I just laugh and say at least I don't have another year in school. *prays he won't be forced to eat humble pie on that on*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

I went last yr n was 17 didn't get asked 4 id at all they only thingh they wer strict on was servin shots!

It doesn't matter either whether u bring some1 r not cuz dis yr i no a few of my friends aren't bringin ne 1!

I wouldn't worry bout it cuz if u bring some1 u cud end up havin dem hangin off ya all night while ur tryin 2 get drunk....dis usually ends in a messy fight, happened last yr at d debs, tears,fake tan, drunk ppl, black eyeliner everywher, twas disasterous!

• Advertisement

Assez Bien wrote:
    It doesn't matter either whether u bring some1 r not cuz dis yr i no a few of my friends aren't bringin ne 1!

I wouldn't worry bout it cuz if u bring some1 u cud end up havin dem hangin off ya all night while ur tryin 2 get drunk

Yarr, that sounds like spinster talk to me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

so your 17?? who cares u be sound , ull get drink no bother!! get steamed and enjoy it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

I'd bring someone but only sum1 whos a friend. No one who'd think anything mite happen! (unless thats what you want of course!)

I went to my gf's debs last year when i was only 17 and i didnt get asked for ID as far as i can remember. Think it was in Leopardstown Pavillion

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

I'd bring someone but only sum1 whos a friend. No one who'd think anything mite happen! (unless thats what you want of course!)

I went to my gf's debs last year when i was only 17 and i didnt get asked for ID as far as i can remember. Think it was in Leopardstown Pavillion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Meh people as young as 15 get away with it at ours Debs. I'll only be 17 too, wouldn't worry about it, and no, I don't think there's something wrong with going alone, but maybe it'd be nice to have someone in the picture?

Rozabeez wrote:
    Meh people as young as 15 get away with it at ours Debs. I'll only be 17 too, wouldn't worry about it, and no, I don't think there's something wrong with going alone, but maybe it'd be nice to have someone in the picture?

You could like get a group photo of all the people who didn't bring someone and take bets on who'd turn out to be spinsters. That'd be fun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

If I was going to the debs, I would go alone. It's idiotic to put pressure on people to grab some randomer so they can feel "normal". If you're going out with someone, fair enough, but if not then what's the point? craziness IMO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

The debs is just for a laugh, nothing to serious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

cocoa wrote:
    If I was going to the debs, I would go alone. It's idiotic to put pressure on people to grab some randomer so they can feel "normal". If you're going out with someone, fair enough, but if not then what's the point? craziness IMO...

The more the merrier thats why and it only fair there should at least be one representation from the opposite sex in your guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

The more the merrier thats why and it only fair there should at least be one representation from the opposite sex in your guests.
    meh, I suppose if you're in a single sex school that's a point but I still reckon just grabbing some girl is stupid because 1. money and 2. it's a night where you want to have a bit of craic with your secondary school friends, sortah sucks to also have to take care of someone who doesn't know the group...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You'd have to be really, really unlucky to get ID'd at a debs. At last year's, me and just about everyone were 17, no problem, and won't be at this one either...but I'm 18 now.

Going alone is only a problem if you want the photos and such..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I was 16 when I went to one, never remember being asked for ID. Always help when you have a drink in hand though, and really long, messy, curly hair. False appearence altogether! You should get away with that whole part.

As for going alone, its only a problem if you think it is, not what anyone else thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Caoltan

ah, bollocks! i want to go but don't know who to ask and have no friends that i want to take? i need to ask some random girl, but how to do that?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

cson wrote:

First of all 17 is a dodgy age to be going to the Debs, most of them are pretty strict on ID so I'd sort that out.

Actually no, they're not strict at all. Some try to enforce a sort of sign here if you're under 18 thing but it never really works. They do search you thoroughly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Caoltan wrote:
    ah, bollocks! i want to go but don't know who to ask and have no friends that i want to take? i need to ask some random girl, but how to do that?:confused:

Try a girl in the lower classes? Theyll probably will say yes even if only so that they get to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

:| wrote:
    Actually no, they're not strict at all. Some try to enforce a sort of sign here if you're under 18 thing but it never really works. They do search you thoroughly though.

Not searched at mine??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

I think it really depends on the place though, What happens here (Cork) I find is that closer to the city you get the stricter the debs seem to be. Any of the country debs I've heard about are very relaxed.

Find out off people who've been before what the story is, as I said every place is different!

About going with or without someone, it's entirely up to you! We actually had this discussion in class today and it was interesting peoples opinions! Most people(even with boyfriends) tend to just want to bring some who they'll have a laugh with and will get along with their friends so they dont have to be babysitting them all night! So if you dont know anyone who will be lke that just go by yourself and have fun with the people you do know there! From what I know from debs anyway they'are anything but couple fests!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Caoltan wrote:

Man, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Theres not many I'd be too bothered about bringing, but gonna have to ttake the plunge something. Just ask someone, you may be to pissed to care by midnight:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Surely people have friends of the opposite sex that are also friends with your mates? I don't see why everyone is fussing about having to watch out for their partner!

On a side note...I broke up with my ex just after xmas and we sort of agreed to go to the debs together in August (obviously this agreement was copper-fastened before we went our separate ways). Now I have been told that she is still really excited about the prospect of going to the debs with me and she is really looking forward to August. However, I have recently met this girl who I would love to take to the debs but I wouldn't want to insult my ex. Oh why oh why must life be so complicated!!? So.... let the sageful words of wisdom come forth unto me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Surely people have friends of the opposite sex that are also friends with your mates? I don't see why everyone is fussing about having to watch out for their partner!

On a side note...I broke up with my ex just after xmas and we sort of agreed to go to the debs together in August (obviously this agreement was copper-fastened before we went our separate ways). Now I have been told that she is still really excited about the prospect of going to the debs with me and she is really looking forward to August. However, I have recently met this girl who I would love to take to the debs but I wouldn't want to insult my ex. Oh why oh why must life be so complicated!!? So.... let the sageful words of wisdom come forth unto me!

give her a kick in the eye

Advertisement