Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

hI
    this may be answered before but can not find it :confused: Going to New York on this Monday and was just wondering how much in value can you bring back as gifts etc..don't want to break the law:)
    Thanks..Great thread by the way..thanks for all info
    MV

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This site breaks it down

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭madonna123

used to live in NYC.. happy days!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

not sure to be honest, just leave no tags on the stuff you buy, when you go pack a full case of clothes even if it means leaving some of your older stuff. i heard that passengers going with light luggage are being stopped coming back with heavy luggage. same as every where, look around dont buy the first thing you see. even the outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Hi all,

Just wondering what is the limit on the value of goods that one can bring home before the Irish Customs apply charges.

Apart from the duty free allowance on Alcohol, etc, is everything else taxable?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Thank you, sold. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I hope customs crack down on those who breach the limits, just because its mostly middle class types who do this NY shopping rather than NI shopping doesn't make it more tolerable in those 'be patriotic stakes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Travel & Holidays would make far more sense for the original query - nothing to do with Politics. Moved to the appropriate forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Myself and my wife are looking to go to New York were allot of shopping will be done. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a major difference in the baggaga allowance weight of the Airlines that fly into New York. Another addition to this one we are looking to fly out on the 24th of feb returning the 1st of March. Using Sky Scanner the cheapest direct flights are with Aer Lingus at €408 each flying out of Dub and into JFK . I know its a bit of a lottery but if any expierenced traveller to NYC can suggest if they will come down or go up ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 a_chara

Hi,
    Originaly posted this in the things to do in thread but may be better answered in here?
    Does anyone have any recomendations for things to do in New York for new years eve please?

I'll be there with my gf (both mid twenties), we're thinking about going on one of the cruises which cost about $160 each with dinner and free bar, other options are to pay into a club or pub which cost around the same for general admission - also sounds like they'll be a bit crowded to be honest.
    The times square thing seems a bit restricted also, most sites saying we'd need to go very early and wait around in pens and can't move for the day - don't know how true that is but I haven't really been sold on the idea anyway.

Anyone on here been over there at New Year before? any suggestions welcome, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

We went to NYC for NYE 2 years ago. We went to TGI Fridays on Times Square. This cost about $250 each and included all you can eat buffet, open bar and, crucially, we were allowed out onto Times Square for midnight. The food was actually really nice and I'm quite picky. Would definitely recommend it if you can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Consider getting yourself onto the Brookyln Bridge instead of Times Square. Some info here

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭nikki 122

miss new york so much it was the most amazing holiday ever, went ice skating in the rockafeller centre went for a run in central park, ive never been so cold in my life but was soooo worth it........ i have to reccomend 5 guys burgers for any meat lover this is the place for you, it does not look like much but has the best burgers ever, the standard is a double and all extras are free, its on 56th and 8th, woodbury common is not as impressive as id expected especially after prime outlets in orlando, best advice for trip to new york = wear comfy shoes have a small digital camera and bring massage cream for your legs everynight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

Hi,
    Does anybody know the best hotels to stay in while in New York City? :confused:
    Not looking for the most expensive but they would have to be a min 3star!!!
    Also if anybody knows of any particular websites that provide excellent packages to the USA that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

rocco wrote: »
    Myself and my wife are looking to go to New York were allot of shopping will be done. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a major difference in the baggaga allowance weight of the Airlines that fly into New York. Another addition to this one we are looking to fly out on the 24th of feb returning the 1st of March. Using Sky Scanner the cheapest direct flights are with Aer Lingus at €408 each flying out of Dub and into JFK . I know its a bit of a lottery but if any expierenced traveller to NYC can suggest if they will come down or go up ?

Thanks

Hi Rocco,

I've been to NY 5 times now, my 6th trip will overlap with yours 26th Feb-2nd March PM me your details and I'll send you own NY guide. I keep adding to it each time i go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chemgirl

Hiya me and my sister are heading to new york on monday. We are flying with delta and i've been reading on this forum that the terminal is horrible im just wondering how bad is bad as this is our first trip away together and my sister has a disability! Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

chemgirl wrote: »
    Hiya me and my sister are heading to new york on monday. We are flying with delta and i've been reading on this forum that the terminal is horrible im just wondering how bad is bad as this is our first trip away together and my sister has a disability! Thanks for the help :)

It ain't the best i'm afraid, it could be worse though....

Bring a good book and grab a coffee, the duty free is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chemgirl

Ms Happy wrote: »
    It ain't the best i'm afraid, it could be worse though....

Bring a good book and grab a coffee, the duty free is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Ok I've read through EVERY single post on this thread.
    Excellent info I have to say. :D

Heading to New York for the whole summer(YaY!)
    Just wondering if anyone has done anything a bit different from the normal tourist stuff.

I'm going to try and get as much of this done as possible(from all your suggestions):
    -NFL game(or some sport)
    -Shopping(all those various places mentioned)
    -Broadway
    -Helicopter over Manhatten
    -Rockafeller Plaza/Centre
    -Museum
    -Restaurants (revolving one definitely!)
    -Brooklyn Bridge walk
    -Staten Ferry/Statue Liberty/Ellis Island
    -Ground Zero
    -Madison Square Garden

Fair enough that is plenty to keep me going all summer..

BUT

I'd like some other funky/out-there/mad type things to do?

I'm going to try and get hold of some episodes of "How Low Can You Go?"
    As those lads always had mad things to do in whatever country they were in. I know they went all aroud America and no doubt hit NYC.

If anyone here has any info/advice I'd be very grateful!
    Thanks
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Amyjackson4

Go to a rangers hockey game, serendipity 3 restaurant and have the frozen hot chocolate(its famous), dylans candy bar, birdland jazz bar. You should go onto cbs.com and book tickets to the david letterman show, its loads of fun! Check out The Cloisters its part of the met. If you are a movie fan they do tours of famous movie location. I lived in new york and it took me a while to get around a lot of stuff! Its very hard to go somewhere were their isn't tourist to be honest, you might find someones office but thats about it! Since you are there for the summer you should venture out of new york for a day! I know lots of restaurants, clubs, pubs and cafes! Let me know if you want any recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

finbarrk wrote: »
    Has anyone been at the Patricks Day parade? Just wondering how long does it go on for and what's the weather usually like then? Will the kids get bored with it after a while?

Parade starts at 11am and finishes around 4-5pm. Check out link below to see the schedule of marchers and you could try to pinpoint the parts you want to see. Keep in mind the parade goes on for a 2 mile stretch or so - so you need to pick your viewing spot and get there early as the popular areas will be busy and you may not get to view easily - especially for kids. You could do a search to see if you could find a good spot to view from. I used to work in NYC and usually viewed from one of the streets in the 40's. If the day is good it's an unbelievably great day out. Keep in mind it's NY and snow is not uncommon - or freezing temperatures - just keep a look out for weather info before you leave - you could also experience a perfectly sunny, mild spring day! Enjoy and have fun.:)

http://www.saintpatricksdayparade.com/NYC/newyorkcity.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Does anyone know when does the Ice skating finish up in the Rockefeller Center? We are going in March and are wondering will it still be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Amyjackson4

It tends to finish up about april so you should be ok. It can get a bit manic and its only really worth if the christmas decorations are up. I'd recommend the Wollman rink in central park. It a lot more picturesque and a little bit quieter. I'd save Rockerfeller for a christmas visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Go to a rangers hockey game, serendipity 3 restaurant and have the frozen hot chocolate(its famous), dylans candy bar, birdland jazz bar. You should go onto cbs.com and book tickets to the david letterman show, its loads of fun! Check out The Cloisters its part of the met. If you are a movie fan they do tours of famous movie location. I lived in new york and it took me a while to get around a lot of stuff! Its very hard to go somewhere were their isn't tourist to be honest, you might find someones office but thats about it! Since you are there for the summer you should venture out of new york for a day! I know lots of restaurants, clubs, pubs and cafes! Let me know if you want any recommendations!

Frozen hot chocolate? Madness! I like it :D
    LOVE that film, so shall definitely check it out.

Yeah I've added a few others to the list

-Madame Tussauds
    -Museum of Sex (no idea what in under God it's going to be like but shall check it out!)
    -Bronx/Queens Zoo
    -Apollo Theater+ Sunday Morning Gospel thingy in Harlem
    -Markets (early on Sat morning around Hell's Kitchen-meant to be very good)
    -Movies+TV sites tour/Sex+The City Tour/Sopranos Tour
    -Niagra Falls Day Trip
    -Washington Day Trip
    -Pacha Nightclub

People should check out- This website for cheaper passes into many attractions

Best to look through them all before buying the first one.
    One of the New York passes get you into way more attractions than the other. Plus pick out the best helicopter option for you.

All I have to do now is find a nightclub that is purely 70s.
    Another one that is 80s
    And only that is like the 1920s!!!!

No entry unless you are dressed up in the appropriate gear :D
    There has to be places like that somewhere in NY!!

I think I have covered loads of non-alcoholic activities so if you could pop up a few suggestions here for some clubs and pubs that would be great.
    Either the names or if you can't remember the name what streets they are on would be great.

I've heard NY changes so much though and they are always looking for the latest fancy bar and so loads end up opening and shutting down pretty quick.

EDIT: As well as "dance" nightclubs...is there any good metal bars/clubs or rock bars?
    Alternative music bars. Those types of places.
    Cheers!

It tends to finish up about april so you should be ok. It can get a bit manic and its only really worth if the christmas decorations are up. I'd recommend the Wollman rink in central park. It a lot more picturesque and a little bit quieter. I'd save Rockerfeller for a christmas visit.

Thanks for that info Amy, I'll try the Central park one I'd say because we were planning to go up there to see the zoo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Guys I'm looking to go to a New york Knicks game when I'm over in New York and dont want to pay over the odds for tickets. I am going for the experience more than anything I wouldn't be a huge Basketball fan. I was looking at getting tickets off the site below.Anyone have a recommendation of what would be a fair price to be again I don't need court side seats but I don't want to be looking at it from the roof tops. If anyone has been to Madison before I would love to hear from you.

http://www.thegarden.com/tickets/ticket-exchange.html

Cheers
    Ian

Whatever you do don't buy tickets off the guys selling them outside the Garden. They will be duds. I got caught myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Can anyone recommend an apartment or a reasonably priced hotel? I'm going for two weeks in July. I want a nice enough place (just clean and comfortable really) but I don't wanna break the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

rocco wrote: »
    Guys I'm looking to go to a New york Knicks game when I'm over in New York and dont want to pay over the odds for tickets. I am going for the experience more than anything I wouldn't be a huge Basketball fan. I was looking at getting tickets off the site below.Anyone have a recommendation of what would be a fair price to be again I don't need court side seats but I don't want to be looking at it from the roof tops. If anyone has been to Madison before I would love to hear from you.

http://www.thegarden.com/tickets/ticket-exchange.html

Cheers
    Ian
    its a great experience.worth spending $100+ on a seat.
    thread on basketball board.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719060

Advertisement