Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

hi all, 7 of us have booked continental out of shannon, 370 return in feb. Cant wait!

Another friend now wants to go but the flights are gone to 1700 return! Any ideas, is there no hope of getting it cheaper?

Also we are going for my sisters 40th birthday and are spending one night in Brooklyn, the Wicked Monk pub and would like to go to dinner beforehand, any suggestions for a nice restaurant close by???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

hey y'all

off to NYNY on the 13th Feb and am looking for a copy of the Indo's small guide to NY that they were giving away with the paper months back.... anyone have a copy? will photocopy and send back if people want it back.

oh, any Korean restaurant recommendations?.... with the hot coals and decent galbi!! Have found Won Jo and Shilla on Yelp.com, anyone eat in these??

thanks

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Could anyone recommend a hostel in New York? There seems to be so many on hostelworld and so difficult to choose!

I just booked the L Hostel on 1961 7th Avenue in Harlem. Reviews on HW aren't bad, doubles look modern and ensuite. Also, have a gander on Expedia.ie for decent hotel & B&B discounts, although Expedia look for the full price up front.

FYI, after a bit more rooting on the net, the B&Bs up in Harlem get good ratings on TripAdvisor, might check them out the next time I travel over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

jkforde wrote: »
    oh, any Korean restaurant recommendations?.... with the hot coals and decent galbi!! Have found Won Jo and Shilla on Yelp.com, anyone eat in these??

thanks

Koreatown is on 32nd St between 5th and 6th (same st as my hotel so I was fairly familiar with it). I imagine you'll find something there. Also, try menupages.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

@ Tonituddle

I'd reccomend going to a New York All Stars game. It's soccer so at least there's a chance you'll really understand what's going on! They play in Giants Stadium so you get a chance to check the place out and it's SO much cheaper than NFL!

Hi

Has anyone had any experience accessing either T-mobile's or AT&T's GSM 3G\EDGE network in Manhattan on their own unlocked tri\quadband handset, i.e. bringing your own phone over to NY, sticking in a 3G sim card? I'm finding it very hard to get info on how to do this.

Cheers for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lollymcd wrote: »
    @ Tonituddle

I'd reccomend going to a New York All Stars game. It's soccer so at least there's a chance you'll really understand what's going on! They play in Giants Stadium so you get a chance to check the place out and it's SO much cheaper than NFL!

The New York Red Bulls are moving,they're moving into their own stadium in New Jersey. It's located in Harristown which is easily accessed from Manhattan on a NJTransit service from Penn station.

Hi

Has anyone had any experience accessing either T-mobile's or AT&T's GSM 3G\EDGE network in Manhattan on their own unlocked tri\quadband handset, i.e. bringing your own phone over to NY, sticking in a 3G sim card? I'm finding it very hard to get info on how to do this.

Cheers for any info

I've always gotten a 3g signal on my phone in NY,usually on AT&T Network. I'm on 3 here,never had to do anything special to access it tbh.

Pythia wrote: »
    Koreatown is on 32nd St between 5th and 6th (same st as my hotel so I was fairly familiar with it).

And play dodge the garbage!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Lads what's the story with this esta thing, heading to new York in
    march is it something that needs to be done online like???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

srdb20 wrote: »
    Lads what's the story with this esta thing, heading to new York in
    march is it something that needs to be done online like???

Big thread right under this one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

lord lucan wrote: »
    The New York Red Bulls are moving,they're moving into their own stadium in New Jersey. It's located in Harristown which is easily accessed from Manhattan on a NJTransit service from Penn station.

Had to google these Red Bull folks to see if they were the say guys I was talking about! The wonders of advertising! Sorry for mix up of original names, meant to say Metrostars not Allstars! Silly me!

Glad they got their own stadium though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

gimmick wrote: »
    I have booked the New Yorker Hotel in Midtown Manhatten for the end of October. We are going to a club in the Meat Packing District on our first night. Anyone any idea how far this is from Midtown Manhatten? Are we best getting a cab or subway or what?

Just booked the new yorker hotel for end of Feb, mostly good reviews on trip advisor etc. Is it as central as everyone says, and any tips for local eating/breakfast as we didn't include it?
    Thanks!

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Had to google these Red Bull folks to see if they were the say guys I was talking about! The wonders of advertising! Sorry for mix up of original names, meant to say Metrostars not Allstars! Silly me!

Glad they got their own stadium though! :)

They keep changing names! They were the NY-NJ Metrostars but done a deal with Red Bull which lead to another name change. Stadium looks great,you can see it from the NJTransit train from Newark to Manhattan.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Im looking at getting a Netbook and I have a relative coming home from the states, departing JFK.
    Is the duty free for electronics in JFK any good?
    Would anyone know of the name of the electrical stores, so I could possibly browse the stock they hold on their website

Cheers

Tiesto wrote: »
    Im looking at getting a Netbook and I have a relative coming home from the states, departing JFK.
    Would anyone know of the name of the electrical stores, so I could possibly browse the stock they hold on their website

Cheers

If flying Aer Lingus then no, that terminal is awful. I don't think they sell any really. It's mainly perfume and alcohol.

Just booked the new yorker hotel for end of Feb, mostly good reviews on trip advisor etc. Is it as central as everyone says, and any tips for local eating/breakfast as we didn't include it?
    Thanks!

Think I just passed it earlier. Is it on 34th St? We had breakfast earlier in the Starlight Diner which I think is very near. Nice place.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I've always gotten a 3g signal on my phone in NY,usually on AT&T Network. I'm on 3 here,never had to do anything special to access it tbh.

LordLucan, thanks for the reply. I know I can get data roaming (O2) but the charges are straight robbery for a few bits of data (9.91euros per MB!!). What I'm curious about is getting an AT&T or T-mobile data-enabled SIM card there and therefore bypass roaming. Anyone try this?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

finbarrk wrote: »
    Has anyone been at the Patricks Day parade? Just wondering how long does it go on for and what's the weather usually like then? Will the kids get bored with it after a while?

Hi, I went for Paddys Day with the kids, the parade was a waste of time! We got bored after 10 mins as it was just marchers, no floats and absolutely freezing, there was a snow blizzard!

Very hard to get into restaurants too around parade time, otherwise we had a ball and am returning in 3 weeks with the girls, no kids!

• Advertisement

LordLucan, thanks for the reply. I know I can get data roaming (O2) but the charges are straight robbery for a few bits of data (9.91euros per MB!!). What I'm curious about is getting an AT&T or T-mobile data-enabled SIM card there and therefore bypass roaming. Anyone try this?

From what i could see the US SIM cards have a slightly different set up to ours in terms of pricing. You can't just buy a Ready To Go sim and get going. They use Minutes so the cards are priced to allow xxx minutes and xxx data.

Have a look in this forum,search for US Sim cards,should find an answer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=411

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Think I just passed it earlier. Is it on 34th St? We had breakfast earlier in the Starlight Diner which I think is very near. Nice place.

Yep thats it on 34th and 8th.
    thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

If flying Aer Lingus then no, that terminal is awful. I don't think they sell any really. It's mainly perfume and alcohol.

ok
    Not exactly who they are flying with.. but thanks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SinginScientist

I stayed in millenium broadway hotel, amazingly comfortable, spacious and cheap. it is right in times square. staff are extremly helpful. great value for money. cant wait to go back to NYC and will definately be staying here xx:D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOJOC123

Hi Guys

Heading over to NYC in Sept with bf for his birthday and he is big into tennis, i just realised that its the US open when we are over there - just wondering if anyone has been to this or has any advice on where I should be looking for info.

Also as its his birthday I want to bring him for a nice meal so any ideas on that either would be great.

Thanks
    PS. Mods if this is in the wrong thread please feel free to move it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Never been there myself although I drove past it. It's out around Queens somewhere. Info here.

http://www.usopen.org/Visiting_the_Open/Fan_Guide.aspx?=SN

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tiesto wrote: »

Cheers

Just to reiterate what was said above. I flew with Delta last month and the terminal they fly from in JFK (which is the same as Aer Lingus I think) has very little in the electronics apart from a mobile phone store and a Apple Vending machine selling iPods and accessories.

Ask them to check out some local stores for you but remember the keyboard will be a Yank one with some of the symbols in different places.

JOJOC123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Heading over to NYC in Sept with bf for his birthday and he is big into tennis, i just realised that its the US open when we are over there - just wondering if anyone has been to this or has any advice on where I should be looking for info.

Also as its his birthday I want to bring him for a nice meal so any ideas on that either would be great.

Thanks
    PS. Mods if this is in the wrong thread please feel free to move it!!

The US Open is handy to get to. I went to a day session last August. I'd advise going to an evening session,the heat during the day was a killer,we had to keep going out to the concesions to get a drink and escape the intense sunshine. You can wander around the stadium and the practice courts even during matches.

You can get the subway out to The US Open. We got the 7 train out to Flushing,it's about 25/30 minutes iirc. Subway drops you right beside the Stadium(and Citifield,the Mets stadium if your interested). It leaves from Times Sq.

deadtiger wrote: »
    Just to reiterate what was said above. I flew with Delta last month and the terminal they fly from in JFK (which is the same as Aer Lingus I think) has very little in the electronics apart from a mobile phone store and a Apple Vending machine selling iPods and accessories.

Ask them to check out some local stores for you but remember the keyboard will be a Yank one with some of the symbols in different places.

Delta usually use Terminal 3,Aer Lingus use T4 iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..and each terminals selection of electronic goods at reasonable prices is equally shocking ;)

Advertisement