Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Go to Chocolate by the bald man in Union Square and get "Death by Chocolate" best chocolate ever

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Hi guys

Im off to New York next saturday week for my wifes 40th birthday.We are hoping to take in a show so my question/questions are...What show to go see?as there are so many to choose from.
    Is it best to book from here online? or do it there at the discount booths.There is a discount site that you can join but a bit nervous of using it.Any help appreciated plus any other pointers.Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Can anyone recommend a limo service company from JFK to New York. Ive google a few but and found this guy http://www.cheapnewyorklimousines.com/quotes.php
    who seems very reasonable but im a bit weary as the price seems too good to be true for all the *extras* you get.
    There is 7 of us travelling together - well 6 and a half really as the 7th member is a baby....I have requested a baby seat in the car also but Im not sure if they will accomodate.
    Can anyone help, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

cowhands wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a limo service company from JFK to New York. Ive google a few but and found this guy http://www.cheapnewyorklimousines.com/quotes.php
    who seems very reasonable but im a bit weary as the price seems too good to be true for all the *extras* you get.
    There is 7 of us travelling together - well 6 and a half really as the 7th member is a baby....I have requested a baby seat in the car also but Im not sure if they will accomodate.
    Can anyone help, thanks.

I usually find Dial7 the best, Just google Dial7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

rovers2001 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Im off to New York next saturday week for my wifes 40th birthday.We are hoping to take in a show so my question/questions are...What show to go see?as there are so many to choose from.
    Is it best to book from here online? or do it there at the discount booths.There is a discount site that you can join but a bit nervous of using it.Any help appreciated plus any other pointers.Thanks in advance.

I think unless you definatley want to see a particular show you shouldn't book in advance because of the high prices. If you go to the ticket booth on Times Square you can get half price tickets for most shows on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

Like Finbarrk said above go to times square and queue up at the ticket booths, they go on sale at 3pm so you should probably start queueing at 2.30. You'll save a good bit on the tickets. I would recommend going to see Phantom Of The Opera, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Heading to New York for a week in June and was going to rent a short stay holiday apartment but don't think I will after reading these discussions on Trip Advisor:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2666480-Www_feelnyc_com_anyone_used-New_York_City_New_York.html

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3321072-Feelnyc_com_a_scam_really-New_York_City_New_York.html

Was loooking at an apartment on feelnyc.com which suited our needs and was within our price range but when I checked some reviews for feelnyc.com I found out that short stay apartment rental is actually illegal in New York. Because it's illegal there aren't any regulations/legislation to protect people from being scammed.

How annoying! Hotels are quite a bit more expensive. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Legal things being more expensive than illegal ones? Yes, well, that's life! :)

The point of my post was to express my shock at holiday apartments being illegal in New York, not that hotels are more expensive. Holiday apartments, legal or illegal, are cheaper than hotels in most cities/countrys.

But thanks anyway for your constructive reply.

KevR wrote: »
    The point of my post was to express my shock at holiday apartments being illegal in New York, not that hotels are more expensive. Holiday apartments, legal or illegal, are cheaper than hotels in most cities/countrys.

But thanks anyway for your constructive reply.

http://www.radiocityapartments.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anyone know any good clubs that would open during the week? Was looking at Pacha but seems it only opens Fri/Sat nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Hi all,
    Myself and a buddy of mine are planning 9 nights in Ney york in April. Got twin room in Hilton Garden Inn for $110 per night between us so happy with that. Just got a few questions.

Thinking of doing this 6-hour walking tour. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d1174408-Reviews-Real_New_York_Tours-New_York_City_New_York.html. Got good reviews. Has anyone tried this? Worth $40?

Will probably spend sunday in central park (day of rest!). Can someone recommend things to do there?

This site provides tours of the statue of liberty. http://www.statuecruises.com/ferry-service/welcome.aspx. You can now go up to the crown. Has anyone been up in the crown before? Is it worth $15? (that includes the ferry cost).

Going to see a broadway show. Other advice on here says we should just queue and buy them from ticket booths. Any chance we wouldn't get the tickets?

Hoping to see some sporting event in Madison Square Garden. Should we book these tickets online or can you get them from the ticket booths there?

Finally, we're planning a day trip to Washington DC. It's a 3.5 hour train trip there! Should we book the tickets online now via AMTRAK, or just buy them at Penn Station?

Alot of questions there! We arrive on a thursday and leave the following saturday week. We're hoping to do most of the sightseeing mid-week when it's not too busy. Advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

PS. Great Thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Planning a holiday to Orlando later this year and travelling with Continental via Newark. If I choose a return flight with a long connection time (land in Newark at 10.30am and not travelling to Dublin until around 9pm), is it possible to check my bags through to Dublin and then head into New York for a day sightseeing?
    Has anyone done this? Any ideas on whether there is enough time to do - will have kids with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

vicadd wrote: »
    Planning a holiday to Orlando later this year and travelling with Continental via Newark. If I choose a return flight with a long connection time (land in Newark at 10.30am and not travelling to Dublin until around 9pm), is it possible to check my bags through to Dublin and then head into New York for a day sightseeing?
    Has anyone done this? Any ideas on whether there is enough time to do - will have kids with us.

Airtrain to Newark Liberty rail station and train into Manhattan will take about 45 minutes. So it you landed on time you'd probably be in the city by 12.00 at the latest. You'd want to be leaving Manhattan by 18.00 at the latest to get back to Newark for check in for your flight.

So i reckon you'd have about 6 hours in Manhattan. The Empire state building is about a 10 minute walk from Penn station. Macys is around the corner. Times Sq. is about 15 minute walk from Penn station. You could have a decent afternoon in Manhattan imo.

I'm not sure if the transfer desk will take your luggage that far ahead of your flight,it wouldn't hurt to ask though. It wouldn't be worth your while heading into Manhattan with luggage in tow.

Thanks Lord Lucan. That sounds like it could work out okay. Unless anyone has experience of doing this - I might try calling Continental to see if they will check my bags through this far in advance. Their site says you need to take them if staying overnight but no details on checking them through 10 - 12 hours early.

I called Continental today and they say that my bags will be checked through from Orlando all the way to Dublin, so I am free to travel into New York for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Hey,

Does anyone know of any singles bars in NYC (around central manhattan) ? Nothing seedy!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was in the Joshua Tree a couple of weeeks ago on my own and it was fine. It's on 3rd ave at 54th st.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOJOC123

Hi Guys

Heading to NYC in September and think im going to get a taxi into manhattan and then get a shuttle bus from Grand Central to JFK - has anyone done this and how did they find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

For travelling into Manhatten from JFK just take the airtrain to Jamaica station and then a commuter train into Penn Station. It only costs about $16 and it's much quicker and cheaper than the cab commute.

• Advertisement

I think I paid $60 + a tip for a JFK-Manhattan taxi journey (in 2008 though, not too sure if prices are still the same now). Takes roughly an hour depending on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Quicker than the cab commute? Are you sure?

Have paid 50-60 dollars on each of the 5 occassions I have been there.

For travelling into Manhatten from JFK just take the airtrain to Jamaica station and then a commuter train into Penn Station. It only costs about $16 and it's much quicker and cheaper than the cab commute.

And then from Penn Station to the subway, perhaps change trains, walk from station to hotel.

Get a taxi on the way in. It's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Pythia wrote: »
    And then from Penn Station to the subway, perhaps change trains, walk from station to hotel.

Get a taxi on the way in. It's worth it.

I was there in February, I took a cab into Manhattan and it took over an hour. (regular NYC traffic) I didn't see any sights just a brief glimpse of the skyline as we came over whatever bridge he took us.
    And it cost us €75 including tip.

On the way home it had been snowing heavily all day and traffic was really bad so it would have taken a lot longer.
    Our hotel was opposite Penn Station on 8th Ave so we didn't have to get a cab or subway to it.

There was no waiting as the train that goes to Jamaica station leaves at least every 10mins. It was full of commuters (both locals and visitors) heading to JFK with their suitcases and took less than half an hour to get to Jamaica station.
    The station is connected to the airtrain so there's no distance there either. It's just one stop and then it reaches the terminals in JFK.
    In total it took about 40mins and a lot cheaper.

I would never get a cab again after getting the train.
    I've also flown into Newark and the bus from there is ok too.:)

When thinking about JFK-Manhattan taxis, you must also remember that there can be a pretty big queue at the JFK taxi rank sometimes. I remember having to queue for 20-25 mins and then the actual journey took 60 mins in the traffic.

Thinkin on getting a car from Newark into Manhattan. Im looking at Dial7 which was listed on the airports transport page. Has anyone ever used this service? Its $44 for two people including luggage. Seems alot cheaper than a taxi.

www.dial7.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Try this first. 27 dollars return, pick up at the airport and drop you in the city. I've used them before, excellent service, very quick and you are not left waiting more than 20 minutes.

Cheers

Thanks, Ill have a look at that one. One more thing, we are going shopping in Woodbury Commons, we have tickets for GrayLine bus already. Someone suggested brinigng a small case to put all the shopping in as its easier. Does the bus accomadate people bringing cases and do many people do it??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Slunk wrote: »
    Thinkin on getting a car from Newark into Manhattan. Im looking at Dial7 which was listed on the airports transport page. Has anyone ever used this service? Its $44 for two people including luggage. Seems alot cheaper than a taxi.

www.dial7.com

I used them when I was there last year. You still have to pay the toll fees and you'll also need to ring them when you get there to get them to pick you....plus tips.

After getting fleeced on the way back to Newark I'll never get a taxi to or from Airport when I head back. Taxis only seem worth it if there's a few people going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Slunk wrote: »
    Thanks, Ill have a look at that one. One more thing, we are going shopping in Woodbury Commons, we have tickets for GrayLine bus already. Someone suggested brinigng a small case to put all the shopping in as its easier. Does the bus accomadate people bringing cases and do many people do it??

Yep, bring a big case. There is enough room and the driver will store it for you. I've done that myself too and while you might feel silly at the start you'll be happy at the end.

Cheers

Advertisement