Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Slunk wrote: »
    Thanks, Ill have a look at that one. One more thing, we are going shopping in Woodbury Commons, we have tickets for GrayLine bus already. Someone suggested brinigng a small case to put all the shopping in as its easier. Does the bus accomadate people bringing cases and do many people do it??

Yes, the buses have plenty of room for suitcases.
    Some people bring them, others buy them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I used them when I was there last year. You still have to pay the toll fees and you'll also need to ring them when you get there to get them to pick you....plus tips.

After getting fleeced on the way back to Newark I'll never get a taxi to or from Airport when I head back. Taxis only seem worth it if there's a few people going.

Approx how much is the tolls? We will have a bit of baggage as we will be coming from two weeks in orlando so trains seem a bit of a hassle.

The Euro is at an 18 month low against the dollar so ye all better budget for everything costing a fifth or more than you thought.
    A Euro gets you 20c less in the dollar than before Xmas and it's getting worse by the day.It's $1.24 today.
    Parity wouldn't surprise me by the end of the year-thats 1€=$1 folks
    OUCH for those of us with plans to head to the states this summer.

The tolls are no more than $4.50 iirc coming in from jfk to manhattan iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Euro is at an 18 month low against the dollar so ye all better budget for everything costing a fifth or more than you thought.
    A Euro gets you 20c less in the dollar than before Xmas and it's getting worse by the day.It's $1.24 today.
    Parity wouldn't surprise me by the end of the year-thats 1€=$1 folks
    OUCH for those of us with plans to head to the states this summer.

The tolls are no more than $4.50 iirc coming in from jfk to manhattan iirc.

Yeah its a pain alright about the currency, although its been around $1.35 for most of the year up until the last week, so I`d factor in more like a 10% reduction than expected.

I`m flying out(volcano permitting) on Tuesday. When it dipped last week, I bought 1000 euro worth of dollars and got a rate of $1.26. I wished I bought more now. I`m just going to go with it now, use my credit card for the two weeks I`m over there, and whatever the rate is, well, so be it.

I remember being in Florida a few years back and getting 92 US cents to the Euro so that puts some perspective on it.

New York/The US can still be an incredibly cheap place compared to Ireland, just not as cheap as it was. For a one or two week holiday, its not worrying too much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

What is the average I should expect to pay for a hotel room in New York per night?
    3* or 4*. Either in December or April.

Or can anyone recommend a mid-range place that they have stayed before?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Just back from NY. What a place, thought it was great. We got the bus in from Newark airport. $25 return with three stops around midtown. Worked out perfect for us :)

Dont know how much it would be but we stayed at the dylan hotel, just at grand central station. We were originally to stay somewhere else but after reading reviews on lots of hotels, which were nearly all bad we decided to get travel agent to change it. Lovely spot and on a not so busy street while still being in the middle of everything. Definatley recommend it

Back in NY again after a week in Vegas. Staying in the red roof inn on west 32nd. It's no frills and pricey(although cheap by NY standards) but we love it. Stayed here before and the location is brilliant. I just love this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

adox wrote: »
    Back in NY again after a week in Vegas. Staying in the red roof inn on west 32nd. It's no frills and pricey(although cheap by NY standards) but we love it. Stayed here before and the location is brilliant. I just love this city.

Good choice. I've stayed there about 8 times now,great location,good prices and their loyalty scheme is pretty good too,i've got loads of free nights out of them.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Good choice. I've stayed there about 8 times now,great location,good prices and their loyalty scheme is pretty good too,i've got loads of free nights out of them.:)

Yeah we reply like it. The location is great. Love the area. My mrs lves the frozen yogurt place straight across the road that all the Korean girls go to. It's our regular stop on the way back.

Have you tried any of the Korean restaurants nearby? We are thinking about trying one out before we head home. The weather here is great at the moment. We were shopping and eating for the first half of the day before heading up to Central Park after lunch for a couple of hours.

Back in the rom now relaxing before heading out for the night in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yeah we reply like it. The location is great. Love the area. My mrs lves the frozen yogurt place straight across the road that all the Korean girls go to. It's our regular stop on the way back.

Have you tried any of the Korean restaurants nearby? We are thinking about trying one out before we head home. The weather here is great at the moment. We were shopping and eating for the first half of the day before heading up to Central Park after lunch for a couple of hours.

Back in the rom now relaxing before heading out for the night in about an hour.

I love the RRI! Stayed there 3 times now. Always thought some of those Korean places looked a little dodgy so I always avoided them. The California Pizza Kitchen is lovely and nearby if you want something casual.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »

Do they take the vouchers there or do you need more than one to make up a free night?

Pythia wrote: »
    Do they take the vouchers there or do you need more than one to make up a free night?

The Manhattan RRI requires 2 free night certificates for a one night stay. The only pain in the arse is you have to ring their call centre in Ohio and give each certificate number individually when booking a stay.

Last day here today. Just for future reference, they have changed the name of the hotel today. I'm sitting in the lobby watching them finish the sign. It's now called The New York Manhattan Hotel. It also has nyma on the sides of the sign. :)

Last day here today. Just for future reference, they have changed the name of the hotel today. I'm sitting in the lobby watching them finish the sign. It's now called The New York Manhattan Hotel. It also has nyma on the sides of the sign. :)

Check out Foleys around the corner on 33rd between 5th & B/Way. Great boozer.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fleets

Going to New York for a week in July, any suggestions for the Manhattan area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

fleets wrote: »
    Going to New York for a week in July, any suggestions for the Manhattan area?
    Suggestions for what - entertainment, accomodation, food, etc? Can you be specific on what you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Bateaux dinner cruise fantastic sights and food lovely quite expensive but well worth it in my opinion.Also a show on broadway we did phantom of the opera excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cailin13

Hi all, looking for any tips for cheapish nice clean hotel for 3 nights at end of October? Any tips / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Budget about 200euro a night max.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Radio city Apartments five minutes from Time square on west 49th street.Stayed there twice reasonably cheap and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Looking to go to New York mid July, and need a cheap hostel or hotel for about 4 nights. Any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

niallo24 wrote: »
    Any ideas??
    Read back over the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am heading to New York in August and due to the falling euro, I won't have that much money for shopping. However I would love to buy something unique and unusual like a vintage handbag or jewellry. Has anyone been to any of the flea markets in the city? I know there are ones in Brooklyn and Hells Kitchen, any info about quality of stuff, prices etc?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

cailin13 wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for any tips for cheapish nice clean hotel for 3 nights at end of October? Any tips / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Budget about 200euro a night max.

Stayed in the Grand Hyatt New York beside Central Station in Jan and it worked out at around €500 for 4 nights. Great location to see the sights. Hotel was ok a bit dated on the inside but it did what we wanted.

Check the different hotel booking sites and the prices varied between the ones that I used by over €100.

I'd recommend seeing The Phantom of the Opera as well. That was an excellent night out (bought the tickets for the wifes birthday!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

niallo24 wrote: »
    Looking to go to New York mid July, and need a cheap hostel or hotel for about 4 nights. Any ideas??

'Cheap' is kind of a relative term in Manhatten. For any kind of basic hotel that isn't a complete flea pit, you would be looking at $150 plus per night (plus taxes of 14%). That said, there are good deals out there for July and August (the summer being considered low season due to the heat). This website seems to have some good offers http://www.dealbase.com/New-York-City-hotel-deals-discounts-47 you could also have a look at www.travelzoo.com and www.quikbook.com don't forget to add those taxes of 14% on to every price you see though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Looking at going to New York in October for 5nights.. there will be 5 of us.. anyone have any experience of the Affinia Dumont or any other hotel that accommadates 5people? or any recommendations are welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 skazy

Does anyone have any restaurant or bar recommendations in NYC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Was wondering, what is the cheapest time of year to book flights to New York from Cork or Shannon?

Thanks.

I've been to NYC three times in January and found it was about the cheapest month you could go in terms of hotel and flights. Of course the trade off is the freezing weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Happy_Lady

Balthazar is a lovely restaurant in NYC...

Its on Spring st.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Take in a Mets game at Citiffield. Good excuse to have a few beers in the sun!

Advertisement