Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Has anyone stayed in the Salisbury - it is reasonably highly placed on TripAdvisor but the only reference to it here was a similar unanswered question two years ago. I guess it ain't that popular with Boardsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed in the Salisbury - it is reasonably highly placed on TripAdvisor but the only reference to it here was a similar unanswered question two years ago. I guess it ain't that popular with Boardsites.

I stayed there in 2008. i loved it, its clean, staff are friendly, rooms are large and its very central to everything. i'm going to stay there again when i go back next year

Cheers - haven't heard anyhting bad about it to be honest - did you go for the breakfast? Some say you are better off going to a diner - is a diner way cheaper for similar stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

the breakfasts in the salisbury were all you can eat type affairs. I had it a few times and it was good but its worth wandering about to get some different things. bagels every morning are quite heavy haha. its just a pay at the end of your stay thing as far as i remember.

the breakfasts in the salisbury were all you can eat type affairs. I had it a few times and it was good but its worth wandering about to get some different things. bagels every morning are quite heavy haha. its just a pay at the end of your stay thing as far as i remember.

Cheers - mix and match is probably the way to go - nice to know the hotel breakfast is adequate if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Folks

anyone have any thoughts/experience of the Amsterdam Inn (on Amsterdam avenue)?

Clearly a budget hotel, but TripAdvisor is generally positive & the location seems reasonable.

My expectations are in keeping with the price, just wondering if any of you have personal experience of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Four Points By Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea is going for about $130 plus taxes a night on priceline. It's the best deal I've seen yet.
    Two rooms worked out $1630.90 including taxes and insurance for 5 nights. Dates its available are around November. The same deal is on hotwire for $2K($169 plus taxes a night) or €3000 on hotels.com!!!. Anyone stayed here before?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Just a quick question for those that have used Hotwire for hotels in New York. In general how did it work out? I'm paranoid about using it and ending up somewhere dodgy. Any tips on how to ensure you end up somewhere decent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Hrududu wrote: »
    Just a quick question for those that have used Hotwire for hotels in New York. In general how did it work out? I'm paranoid about using it and ending up somewhere dodgy. Any tips on how to ensure you end up somewhere decent?

Use betterbidding to help with hotwire. Priceline usually gives better prices though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Hi all.. I am heading to New York in November and I was wondering if anyone who has been there before knows of any good places that I can get Studio Ghibli merchandise? i.e. plush toys, books etc.. I would like to get some toys for my kids - and I can buy them online, but I would be interested to see if anyone has been able to source any in NY? Thanks!..

• Advertisement

trustno1 wrote: »
    Hi all.. I am heading to New York in November and I was wondering if anyone who has been there before knows of any good places that I can get Studio Ghibli merchandise? i.e. plush toys, books etc.. I would like to get some toys for my kids - and I can buy them online, but I would be interested to see if anyone has been able to source any in NY? Thanks!..

Will be in a few toy shops there next week - if I see anything I'll let you know

I'm currently looking at flights at the moment. The past few times I've gone with Delta, on one flight they had screens in the back of the seat in front. But for every other flight its been the shared screens.

I think Aer Lingus have the personal screens but does anyone know if its for all flights?

Also looking at Continental and was wondering the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Also looking at Continental and was wondering the same thing.
    Flew with Continental last year and they had the personal screens. Think they have them for all flights (one of the reasons a friend recommended them) but not a 100% sure.

Flew with Continental last year and they had the personal screens. Think they have them for all flights (one of the reasons a friend recommended them) but not a 100% sure.
    Just found a website called SeatGuru where you can enter your flight number and it tells you what each flight has. It says that the Continental flights have the screens on all flights. So I'm hoping its right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just found a website called SeatGuru where you can enter your flight number and it tells you what each flight has. It says that the Continental flights have the screens on all flights. So I'm hoping its right.

Continental do have personal screens and a pretty good selection of movies and tv shows. They have a nice mix of old and new movies. They have pretty good food also (for an airline anyway). We flew with them to Newark last month, I like flying with Continental, they would be my first choice. I always find them very competitively priced too. Check out the site www.skyscanner.net it's a good site for pricing all airlines.

ncmc wrote: »
    I always find them very competitively priced too. Check out the site www.skyscanner.net it's a good site for pricing all airlines.
    When the Euro is strong against the dollar you can also book on their American website and save yourself an extra few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

who is the best too travel with when goiing over too. i'v used that sky scanner site. delta comes up the cheapest. should we get travel insurance for going over there.

were going staying with family

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

cena wrote: »
    who is the best too travel with when goiing over too. i'v used that sky scanner site. delta comes up the cheapest. should we get travel insurance for going over there.

were going staying with family

If you don't get travel insurance and injure yourself, you could be looking at a bill of thousands as far as I know. I always get it when going outside EU.

Pythia wrote: »
    If you don't get travel insurance and injure yourself, you could be looking at a bill of thousands as far as I know. I always get it when going outside EU.

would i better off getting it when booking the flights or do it at two different times

A lot of companies do one trip insurance or if you're going away for the year you can get yearly insurance. If you have health insurance with the likes of VHI they do good deals for existing customers. You'd be absolutely crazy not to get anything though.

• Advertisement

not with vhi or anyone like that. if go and book it with a travel agent can i get the insurance with them

Yeah, but look on line too. You'll probably get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

cena wrote: »
    not with vhi or anyone like that. if go and book it with a travel agent can i get the insurance with them

It's cheaper to get it yourself. Just get it a few days before you go. Try http://www.getcover.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Pythia wrote: »
    It's cheaper to get it yourself. Just get it a few days before you go. Try http://www.getcover.ie/

Just be careful to read the small print, my husband and I once got annual travel insurance with the cheapest company we could find online. Turns out, they didn't cover pre-existing illnesses. My husband ended up in hospital in the US with a pre existing condition and we were liable for medical bills. Cheapest isn't always best! An expensive lesson for us. If you are with AIB, I think their travel insurance is quite cheap and decent coverage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

2. What's the best (cost effective) way to get to our hotel on Lexington from JFK?

Subway will be cheapest.

3. Can anyone recommend a good spot for Sushi?

Japonica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Has anyone stayed in the metropolitan hotel nyc (I think it's called the doubletree too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

anyone been to NYC at xmas?

is it cold? it'll be my first time visiting NYC so im excited:D

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I'm going to be in New York for New Year (27th Dec to 2 Jan).

Never been to New York before.

Anyone recommend some things I should see/do at this particular time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

PH4T wrote: »
    I'm going to be in New York for New Year (27th Dec to 2 Jan).

Never been to New York before.

Anyone recommend some things I should see/do at this particular time of year?

Most definitely ice skating in Central Park and the Rockefeller centre. Both are meant to be friggin magical.

Spent the summer in NY but would LOVE to see it at Xmas.

Are you going to be in Times Square for the countdown at New Years Eve? That looks amazing, definitely wanna try that some year.

Bring some seriously warm clothes though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

This is a great thread for information on NY, thanks to everyone who contributed. I am a complete NY amatuer and I am looking for some advice. Myself & the girlfriend are flying out to NY next week (26th)for the first time mostly for xmas shopping but we would like to see some sights also. We are flying with Delta and we are spending 4 nights in the Hudson Hotel on 58th street. Has anyone had any experience in this hotel? Read mixed reviews so far. And also advice on transport from JFK to Manhatten, we dont mind taking a taxi really

Also for anyone who has flown with Delta recently it says on their website that your first checked bag is free but a second bag is charged at $55, is that correct?

We are looking to go Woodbury Common
    Empire State Building
    Top Of The Rock
    Macy's / Bloomingdales
    Times Square
    Ground Zero
    Central Park
    Statue Of Liberty

Would that be a reasonable itinerary or would it be pushing it?

Advertisement