Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Any ideas on where 8 lads could go in the US for a drinking/sight-seeing holiday.
    Was in NYC 8 years ago and really loved it. whats it like for a lads break and are there any cheap enough hotels or apartments to rent for 2 weeks?

Or would ye suggest anywhere else in the US?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nollaig1989

Hi,

I'm just wondering can anybody give me information about going to New York on a J1? Was it tough to get a job? And accommodation? I've never been on a J1 but I really want to do it, and in NYC - but I'm afraid of making the wrong choice. :o I don't just want to have a good time, I wanna earn some money this Summer too..

Also, there is a possibility I may be going on my own (that's how bad I want to go to New York!) Is this a stupid idea? :eek: Should I just go along with the other 2 girls who I know?(who want to go to Florida, or something)

Help appreciated! :pac:

Nollaig

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

Hi all,

As loads of people on here have NY experience I would like you to fill in a top 5 for me. I am goint for 7 nights in March 3-10th and am looking for the top 5 things to do. Obvioulsy I will be doing the norm, empire state, staten island ferry, ground zero etc etc but I am looking for the little gems that rarely appear on peoples lists. Its my first time west of Cliften so would appreciate any suggestions.

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

You have to get in a sporting event, either the
    New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden on the 3rd or the 6th
    Or the New York Knicks on the 7th.

The Lion King, is also worth seeing venturing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

Cheers but I have you beat by 1. The hotel is the New Yorker, across the road from the garden. The missus has boughts tickets for the Rangers on the 6th, the Nicks on the 7th and Bon Jovi some other night. Good ideas though, keep em coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

barrmur wrote: »
    Hi all,

As loads of people on here have NY experience I would like you to fill in a top 5 for me. I am goint for 7 nights in March 3-10th and am looking for the top 5 things to do. Obvioulsy I will be doing the norm, empire state, staten island ferry, ground zero etc etc but I am looking for the little gems that rarely appear on peoples lists. Its my first time west of Cliften so would appreciate any suggestions.

Barry

My top 5 would be: (in no particular order a la X Factor :))
    - Central Park
    - Stroll round Greenwich Village/Washington Square Park
    - Intrepid Museum (aircraft carrier)
    - Walk Brooklyn Bridge
    - Top of The Rock (Rockefeller Centre, much better than Empire State IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nathansredarmy

hi just wondering could anyone help me im looking to book a hotel was wondering if anyone knew best sites example booking.com ect im looking for one that includes tax in price quoted cheers thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Hi all. Planning on bringing my girlfriend to New York in the first week of July. Does anyone have any recommendations on what sites I should go with to book the flights and hotel? Neither of us have been before so not sure what the best way to go about it is. Cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 k22ritz

hi can anyone tell me if there are any problems bringing shopping purchased in new york back into ireland ..people have been telling me to fill my suitcase with old clothes etc to make my suitcase heavier going out and to cut tags of clothing....not sure what to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

Hi,
    Heading over to New York in Feb. Planning on seeing a few sights are we better off buying an attractions package from the tour company or would it be cheaper to wait till we arrive? Also has anybody used the ticketmaster ticket exchange for Madison Square Garden(cant get tickets together for hockey)?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

k22ritz wrote: »
    hi can anyone tell me if there are any problems bringing shopping purchased in new york back into ireland ..people have been telling me to fill my suitcase with old clothes etc to make my suitcase heavier going out and to cut tags of clothing....not sure what to do...

HI - from seeing your post I am now wondering the same . I 'm heading over soon too and plan to shop ! Although people are telling me to just bring an empty suitcase , not heard of any problems lately of friends coming back but yes as far as I know do cut off tags from stuff you buy coming home .

Michael B wrote: »
    Hi all. Planning on bringing my girlfriend to New York in the first week of July. Does anyone have any recommendations on what sites I should go with to book the flights and hotel? Neither of us have been before so not sure what the best way to go about it is. Cheers!

Hi - have a look at Radio City Apartments , they are very popular , we are heading there tomorrow :D , we booked it through expedia .com , or you can book directly from the hotel's site , sorry not sure how to do links yet ! But if you google it you will find it , good luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

What airline are you all travelling with? We want to book our trip there soon and I'm not too confident in Aer Lingus for obvious reasons. Are most of ye going with British airlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Clare Bear wrote: »
    What airline are you all travelling with? We want to book our trip there soon and I'm not too confident in Aer Lingus for obvious reasons. Are most of ye going with British airlines?

Check ebookers.ie or skyscanner.ie for the different airlines price comparisons.
    I'm flying later this month with Delta, not pushed on them but they were about €50 cheaper than the rest when I was booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Check ebookers.ie or skyscanner.ie for the different airlines price comparisons.
    I'm flying later this month with Delta, not pushed on them but they were about €50 cheaper than the rest when I was booking.

Great thanks, I'll check them out.

Clare Bear wrote: »

Boked ours through American Holidays. Flying with Continential and staying in The New Yorker. 4 nights for €615 each

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

4 nights for €615 each.

is that just the hotel

We're flying with Delta 416E return inc tax . Staying in Radio City Apartments $615 incl taxes for an apt with two dbl beds , kitchen sitting room etc , for 4 nights .

gucciali wrote: »
    We're flying with Delta 416E return inc tax . Staying in Radio City Apartments $615 incl taxes for an apt with two dbl beds , kitchen sitting room etc , for 4 nights .

have you been into the radio city place. i was in it for the radio city rockettes christmas show. words can't explain how good it really was. with with the cousin and her family. even found myself crying a few times as they had kids with them just too watch there faces.

inside is unbellievable. its very posh looking. well it was around the tanks giving weekend.

your also going too be near the nhl ice hockey store which i would recommend going too.

hoping too head again this year

cena wrote: »
    4 nights for €615 each.

is that just the hotel

No flights aswell. Flights were about €430 to €480 before christmas and went down in the new year to around €390 not fully sure, we ended up booking a combined flight and hotel option with Amerian holidays.(hope it all works out, I checked with the hotel already to make sure it was booked)

• Advertisement

No flights aswell. Flights were about €430 to €480 before christmas and went down in the new year to around €390 not fully sure, we ended up booking a combined flight and hotel option with Amerian holidays.(hope it all works out, I checked with the hotel already to make sure it was booked)

that sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 damothekid

hey brianomc im goin to new york and hoping to get ticket for knicks game on 23rd feb.very expensive over the net.what are chances of getting one on the night? am landing on the 23rd on day of game.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Anyone know where the best place is to sell a New York Hotel reservation? Is there any websites that would be more suited to travel deals? Something came up and I cant head over now for St Patricks weekend and need to sell the reservation

Anybody here ever gone on hols alone to New York?
    I am due to go in 2 weeks but the person I'm going with is sick and has been certified not fit for travel so can't go.
    If I can't convince the OH to go with me I'm not going to forfeit my holiday, just don't know if I would be fit for a week in a big city alone!! Have done the beach holiday alone before and that was fine but it's not a relaxing/read a book holiday, it's an action packed sightseeing/shopping holiday (which is why the OH isn't too keen!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Anybody here ever gone on hols alone to New York?
    I am due to go in 2 weeks but the person I'm going with is sick and has been certified not fit for travel so can't go.
    If I can't convince the OH to go with me I'm not going to forfeit my holiday, just don't know if I would be fit for a week in a big city alone!! Have done the beach holiday alone before and that was fine but it's not a relaxing/read a book holiday, it's an action packed sightseeing/shopping holiday (which is why the OH isn't too keen!)

Like your probably better off on your own for the shopping would you not agree? Just relax at night in your room dont stay out late if your worried about safety.

I will say there is lots of creeps in the city who would bother a woaman on her own depends on how able you are for that.

tipp86 wrote: »
    Like your probably better off on your own for the shopping would you not agree? Just relax at night in your room dont stay out late if your worried about safety.

I will say there is lots of creeps in the city who would bother a woaman on her own depends on how able you are for that.

Not worried about safety really, more the lonliness of it! I just would feel a bit odd sightseeing alone, shopping alone is not a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

damothekid wrote: »
    hey brianomc im goin to new york and hoping to get ticket for knicks game on 23rd feb.very expensive over the net.what are chances of getting one on the night? am landing on the 23rd on day of game.thanks
    Tried getting them on the day when i was over there a few weeks ago, all to no avail. They give you the option of waiting in a cancellation line, but god only knows how long you will be waiting and how expensive they will be. Book in advance if you can
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

damothekid wrote: »

If you cross the road from maddison garden to the pennsylivan hotel there will be guys selling tickets touts Depending on who the knicks are playing the price of the ticket anyway if you leave till near the start of the game you will get a ticket cheap worked for last year and the year before that

bob50 wrote: »
    If you cross the road from maddison garden to the pennsylivan hotel there will be guys selling tickets touts Depending on who the knicks are playing the price of the ticket anyway if you leave till near the start of the game you will get a ticket cheap worked for last year and the year before that

Listen to what the man says it worked for me elsewhere. wait for the game to start and look like you dont care if you go or not. You should get them under face value.

• Advertisement

Please people do not be fooled by sales people before you go up the empire state building. I startled a few of them with throwing the online prices in there face and they just walked away. There not a scam but essentially your paying more than you have to. Just go in and pay at the desk inside or pay online. Feel i needed to bold this as i hate been ripped off.

Oh yes i booked broadway comedy club tickets off a guy on the street for $10 each. I had been to comedy a few times in toronto and its great. I was partly disapointed with NY as they have a 2 drink min with drinks been $8 a bottle and they add 20% tip.

I personally spent more than that in toronto but i hate been forced into things and this was a real put off for me. They also have horrible seating arrangements compared to other places.

Part of me says if you can handle these issues its a great show the comedians did not disappoint.

I done Jersey gardens great spot and also century 21 is quiet good aswell.

I stayed in woodside queens which saved a bit on accomadation and food was cheaper there aswell.

Advertisement