Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭evolutionix

Hi folks,

Will be in NYC for Patricks day for 7 nights. Any suggestions for paddy's day? Do irish groups going out there throw parties? Have a plan for the week but open to ideas for patricks day? Cheers. Also looking for a good quality food / romantic place for dinner for one of the nights?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Hi folks,

Will be in NYC for Patricks day for 7 nights. Any suggestions for paddy's day? Do irish groups going out there throw parties? Have a plan for the week but open to ideas for patricks day? Cheers. Also looking for a good quality food / romantic place for dinner for one of the nights?

Thanks

will be there same week for a stag. Paddys day the pogues are playing so we got tickets for that. Might be an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tfc484

Hi folks,

Thanks

When in NY you can go down the City and celebrate with all the different nationalities, or you can spend it in the the Irish ghetto's of Woodside (Queens) or Woodlawn (Bornx )
    If you spending it in Manhattan, some decent pubs are:
    The Irish Pub 57th st on 7th Ave
    The Blarney Stone on 44th and 3rd
    The Landsdown 45th on 10 ave
    Connollys 45th on Broadway
    Pig and Whistle 55th st on 3ave
    The Blarney Stone on 44th and 3rd
    The Playwright 49th on 7th

A decent romantic place to eat is the Harbor Lights on Pier 17.
    Good Views, with a Fab view of the city in a romantic setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Id say twud be some night to pull a foreign wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Can anyone please tell me what Delta are like to fly with, booked with next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭furiousox

slimboyfat wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me what Delta are like to fly with, booked with next week?

Hi
    Flew with them to JFK last November and they were great.
    Not the most modern plane you'll ever see (757 I think?) but the cabin crew were fantastic, very friendly and attentive.
    Plenty of food and free alcohol all the way to JFK made it the quickest 7 hr flight ever!
    We got chatting to the stewardess and told her it was our first trip to NY since our honeymoon 15 years ago, 5 mins later she came back with a bottle of champagne for us!
    So yeah, nothing but good things to say about Delta! :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭G-unit10

Yeah flying with delta myself in may, just wondering if anyone can give detils on the in-flight entertainment and the food?

Also, theres some awful stories about delta's jfk terminal 3 on the net- what are the experiences of boardies here? flying on to chicago from the same terminal a few days later- expecting hell on earth from what i've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Anybody here ever gone on hols alone to New York?
    I am due to go in 2 weeks but the person I'm going with is sick and has been certified not fit for travel so can't go.
    If I can't convince the OH to go with me I'm not going to forfeit my holiday, just don't know if I would be fit for a week in a big city alone!! Have done the beach holiday alone before and that was fine but it's not a relaxing/read a book holiday, it's an action packed sightseeing/shopping holiday (which is why the OH isn't too keen!)
    Oh wow, just saw your post now. I might be too late with this post as you may already be over there. You will have a fab time. don't worry at all, just take the same precautions you would in any big city.

I love NY, been there a few times on my own. I'm going to Washington in mid-April and then will travel up to NY for 5 days on my own, so looking forward to it!

What to see??

Ellis Island, Ground Zero, Sopranos Tour, all the museurms -they're great, try the Tenement Museum after you go to Ellis Island

The Lincoln Centre -I love the NY Metropolitan and the opera there

Shopping if you must - don't miss the Tommy Hilfiger shop in Woodbury, Jersey Gardens & Maceys

Restaurants - try Restaurant Row on 46th St

Ellies Stardust Diner - you have to go there, especially for breakfast. The waiters sing to you, if you can bear it early in the morning!

NY is that kind of place - you'll never feel bored and you'll never be lonely - I love it! I've been there about 6 times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Hi I'm looking too book a week in new York in October can someone tell me best place too stay for shopping and nightlife please and which airline or travel agent is best too book with? How much money would the average person need to bring for a weeks holiday for shopping eating out tipping etc? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Similar to Smyths q above mine, I am hoping to book a trip for myself and my gf to New York. While I know Christmas seems to be the fave time to go, I was thinking prior to this, like in the coming months during Summer.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it will all cost (for us both) via:

Flights - economy
    Hotel for 5-7nights- someway decent and not 200 hundred miles outside the city ;)
    Average spending money per day for usual things - eating out, drinks etc.

The time of year we go is flexible so I suppose a happy medium between being out of the high season but not miserable dead time of year either (though New York is probably never dead!)

Hoping to surprise her with this and pay for all flights and accommodation and let her look after her spending money :) so just even a rough idea would do. I do know flights cost will rise in coming weeks by about a hundred at least due to Libya etc.

Also advice on whether to book individually or as a package much appreciated , and whether 5 days is enough time to enjoy New York properly. I do realise this will be expensive but only young once!

Really appreciated :)

edit: working my way through this thread from the start too btw! Also my budget to cover x2 flights and accommodation is up to 2500 (euro) - realistic? As I said I want a nice hotel, fairly central if possible. Any advice appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ryker

Hi tommy21 and symths i am going to new york in november for 5 nights with my wife and daughter staying in new yorker in mid town good hotel in great location. It is costing us 2710 for flights and hotel we booked with tour america, 100 euro deposit per person the balance has to be paid off 8 weeks before we go.

I always go in november before thanksgiving it tends to get mad after that, it is a good time to go you pick up some xmas presents and the weather tends to be ok. You can check out hotel reviews on trip advisor but to be honest you cant please everybody hope this helps if you want to know anythoing else just ask

ryker wrote: »
    Hi tommy21 and symths i am going to new york in november for 5 nights with my wife and daughter staying in new yorker in mid town good hotel in great location. It is costing us 2710 for flights and hotel we booked with tour america, 100 euro deposit per person the balance has to be paid off 8 weeks before we go.

I always go in november before thanksgiving it tends to get mad after that, it is a good time to go you pick up some xmas presents and the weather tends to be ok. You can check out hotel reviews on trip advisor but to be honest you cant please everybody hope this helps if you want to know anythoing else just ask

Thanks for the reply Ryker :)

Since you've been before, can you tell me the pros and cons of going in summer time? Or is NY city always a great place to visit no matter what time of year? I just feel November is so far off and if it had been last year we had gone we would have been snowed in in NY! So summer is better for us I think.

How much would you budget per day there? Is 5 or 7 days better in your opinion? I think I would book with agent too, you have more comeback that way, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

One disadvantage of going in the summer is the heat. We went in August and it was pretty hot and humid. That wont be an issue if you don't mind the heat/humidity but since there is a lot of walking to be done there it can get a bit tiresome.

One disadvantage of going in the summer is the heat. We went in August and it was pretty hot and humid. That wont be an issue if you don't mind the heat/humidity but since there is a lot of walking to be done there it can get a bit tiresome.

Hmm I believe we knew each other in a former life - name change much? ;)

Cheers for the info. Yeah actually considering how my whole view of New York has been formed via movies showing those type of conditions, I am looking forward to a blast of heat!

Ah I've been found out. :p

I actually found the heat okay tbh. Himself nearly died but he's a wuss.

Ah I've been found out. :p

I actually found the heat okay tbh. Himself nearly died but he's a wuss.

Have not booked yet, the other option is Paris but I think now I have a bit of funds its now or never the way things are going! Do you mind me asking roughly how much it cost, from flights and accommodation to daily living expenses and spending money, per person?

Flights were €690 each but then we flew Dublin - NY - Boston - Dublin so that would have made it more expensive. Hotel was €1200 for 6 nights. As for daily expenses, no idea really. I really can't remember.

Between Paris and NY I'd go with the latter.

Flights were €690 each but then we flew Dublin - NY - Boston - Dublin so that would have made it more expensive. Hotel was €1200 for 6 nights. As for daily expenses, no idea really. I really can't remember.

Between Paris and NY I'd go with the latter.

Yeah I'm getting about €1500 for two flights return in July. Figured roughly the same for accom too. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ryker

Hi tommy21 the waether in summer can be very uncomfortable but if you dont mind that the flights in oct and nov work out between 500 to 550 euros each. You would be looking at between 200 to 300 dollars per day to spend but alot more if want to do some shopping.The best way to see new york is to walk also the subway is a great way to get around not expensive at all, also alot of stuff to do is free.

There is a good podcast on itunes called new york minute it gives you audio guide of new york city it gives you some good ideas hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fendigal

Hi guys..flying to NYC with Aerlingus in couple of wks, just wondering is there much in-flight entertainment? And do we get food on the flight or do you have to buy the food on flight? Thanks

• Advertisement

ryker wrote: »
    Hi tommy21 the waether in summer can be very uncomfortable but if you dont mind that the flights in oct and nov work out between 500 to 550 euros each. You would be looking at between 200 to 300 dollars per day to spend but alot more if want to do some shopping.The best way to see new york is to walk also the subway is a great way to get around not expensive at all, also alot of stuff to do is free.

There is a good podcast on itunes called new york minute it gives you audio guide of new york city it gives you some good ideas hope this helps.

Hey thanks for replying again - $200-300 per day seems way too high (do you mean each or in total for 2 which is understandable) if your just talking sight seeing and food etc.for one person. Shopping etc. is another expense of course as you say!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

fendigal wrote: »
    Hi guys..flying to NYC with Aerlingus in couple of wks, just wondering is there much in-flight entertainment? And do we get food on the flight or do you have to buy the food on flight? Thanks

You should check the Aer Lingus website... http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/onboardandarrival/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Oh wow, just saw your post now. I might be too late with this post as you may already be over there. You will have a fab time. don't worry at all, just take the same precautions you would in any big city.

I love NY, been there a few times on my own. I'm going to Washington in mid-April and then will travel up to NY for 5 days on my own, so looking forward to it!

What to see??

Ellis Island, Ground Zero, Sopranos Tour, all the museurms -they're great, try the Tenement Museum after you go to Ellis Island

The Lincoln Centre -I love the NY Metropolitan and the opera there

Shopping if you must - don't miss the Tommy Hilfiger shop in Woodbury, Jersey Gardens & Maceys

Restaurants - try Restaurant Row on 46th St

Ellies Stardust Diner - you have to go there, especially for breakfast. The waiters sing to you, if you can bear it early in the morning!

NY is that kind of place - you'll never feel bored and you'll never be lonely - I love it! I've been there about 6 times already.

Himself came with me after all, but had to leave a day earlier than me due to work commitments so I had a day to myself to shop to my hearts content!
    We had the New York Pass so did all the museums and sights in 3 days (very tiring!) but the museums are amazing, particularly the natural history museum. Also went to the bodies exhibition which I didn't get to see in Dublin last year.
    Went to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island as well, great museum - so sad, but fascinating.

slimboyfat wrote: »

Just flew with them last week, not the most modern of planes so no individual entertainment in the seat back in front of you, just the shared tv - on the plus side, the most legroom I've had on a plane in a long time so got a good bit of sleep on the way home.
    The staff are great, quite funny, and actually seem to enjoy their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Himself came with me after all, but had to leave a day earlier than me due to work commitments so I had a day to myself to shop to my hearts content!
    We had the New York Pass so did all the museums and sights in 3 days (very tiring!) but the museums are amazing, particularly the natural history museum. Also went to the bodies exhibition which I didn't get to see in Dublin last year.
    Went to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island as well, great museum - so sad, but fascinating.

Whats ellis Island like. we missed the last boat out when were over. MYmother was soo mad annoyed we missed it because here granny with through it when she move over at a very young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

cena wrote: »
    Whats ellis Island like. we missed the last boat out when were over. MYmother was soo mad annoyed we missed it because here granny with through it when she move over at a very young age.

Ellis Island is nice. There's a good audioguide tour around it as well as guided tours every few hours. It's quite interesting. It's surprising how many people go to the statue of liberty but not ellis island

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

there was only one boat left when we got there. the que is long with all the security they have. we where well over an hour waiting too get on the boat too the statue. Its was the one thing she really wanted too see besides the statue. We'll go the next time. it was 30 years since she was over so i paid for her and me too go over for her 50th birthday.

cena wrote: »

If you have personal family history you will find it fascinating. There is a lot of memorobilia from many of the ships that landed, from the passenger lists to a selection of passports of the immigrants.
    Definately one of the highlights of our trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Getting worried about the price of my holiday now..I know it's a package deal but it just seems crazily cheap compared to prices posted here? Vegas 5 nights, LA 6 nights, NY 4 nights...€1400 all in, all flights and accom (no hostels! All of the hotels are nice, one is 5star suite) 3 flights, 2 with stopovers- so, 5 flights really? Sounds like we'll be in the baggage hold at this rate, flying Continental.

Really excited about NY, can't believe I forgot about Ellis Island! Great thread, picking up lots of recommendations for food places etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

I was thinking of going to NY with Continantel i see they fly from Dublin to Newark

anyone else used what your experinces

Advertisement