Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

You'll love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Hi

We are going to NYC in May. We will be going to Jersey Gardens and Woodbury. We have a little girl, she will be 1 so public transport isnt really an option.

Has anyone ever used car service to either one? I have heard of people who book a car to collect them from hotel and it will wait for them and then drop back into the city. The cost seems to be around $100. If anyone has used them can they please recommend where or how to go about booking one?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

@glineli - I was in NY last June and we visited Jersey Garden's Mall too, we got the bus service which was fine for adults, but definitely check out a town car rental from your hotel concierge if you've got a baby going as the journey is long enough and the bus gets fairly packed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am on a fly drive in July (Chicago to Boston)

I'll be arriving from Washington direction.

I haven't booked a hotel yet but am I better of giving back my hire car in New York and getting the train to Boston instead of keeping it in New York and driving up to Boston?

Will search through the thread for hotels and probably revert back.

I am told to try and stay around 31st street.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Does anyone have any anecdotal idea about the current situation for getting unskilled work in NYC? A friend is thinking of heading over for the summer but not sure if its worth paying for a J1 if it will be too hard to get a job? Judging by Ireland where it can take months to get a low paid unskilled job it seems hopeless, but I assume thigns are better in NYC?
    Any opinions appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭G-unit10

Hi all, just a few questions for my 1st trip to ny.

Wondering whether people have experiences of the tv/movie on location tour. I'm wondering is it worth it or should I just visit the friends building myself and forget the rest that im not too interested in. Has anyone done it and loved it though?
    Also, anyone recommend a good comedy club?Heard good things about loads of them, just looking for an irish perspective for a club on a friday or sunday night.
    Finally, is there somewhere thats good for mens clothes(21 yo) apart from the well known tourist-packed stores that anyone can direct me to?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I'm thinking of moving to NYC in December on a 1 year work internship visa.

Can anyone tell me if its hard to get a job in the finance area and about accomodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Does anyone have any anecdotal idea about the current situation for getting unskilled work in NYC? A friend is thinking of heading over for the summer but not sure if its worth paying for a J1 if it will be too hard to get a job? Judging by Ireland where it can take months to get a low paid unskilled job it seems hopeless, but I assume thigns are better in NYC?
    Any opinions appreciated!

If they know someone it would be easier. If they are going illegally they are threading a fine line and I advise against it; unskilled means low paid and NY is expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

G-unit10 wrote: »
    Hi all, just a few questions for my 1st trip to ny.

Wondering whether people have experiences of the tv/movie on location tour. I'm wondering is it worth it or should I just visit the friends building myself and forget the rest that im not too interested in. Has anyone done it and loved it though?
    Also, anyone recommend a good comedy club?Heard good things about loads of them, just looking for an irish perspective for a club on a friday or sunday night.
    Finally, is there somewhere thats good for mens clothes(21 yo) apart from the well known tourist-packed stores that anyone can direct me to?

Thanks

The Sopranos one is quite good and there is also a Sex and the City one.

what is a good price per night for a nice hotel in new york?

looking around 30th to 40th street. never been to ny but going on where is good to stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Trampas wrote: »

looking around 30th to 40th street. never been to ny but going on where is good to stay

The New Yorker is on 34th street. Stayed there before and it was really nice, I would throughly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Trampas wrote: »

Ive been over a few times stayed in the Pennsylvania on 7th and 34st right across street from madsion square garden

Tip when booking a room ask for a room on floors 11th and up there much better and cleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

lizt wrote: »
    The New Yorker is on 34th street. Stayed there before and it was really nice, I would throughly recommend it!

+1 for the New Yorker.
    I'm on their mailing list and get great offers from time to time.
    and the Tick Tock diner which is attached to it is really good - great food, huge portions and not too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Guys anyone know how humid it gets in July? My OH dies here when it's 30C! Am I in for a week of her complaining and moaning non stop about the heat?! :P

Michael B wrote: »
    Guys anyone know how humid it gets in July? My OH dies here when it's 30C! Am I in for a week of her complaining and moaning non stop about the heat?! :P

It will be quite humid that time of year...Sorry!
    But ALL shops and hotel and really all buildings will have AC on all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭G-unit10

Hi, just wondering if anyone has flown to ny with delta in the recent past. I know people have said thats its not personal videos but overhead screens, but Im wondering has it changed over as seatguru is claimin AVOD is on the specific flight. Also, what is the food like and does the alcohol be restricted to just the one complimentary drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 donegal.295

Anyone got any advice on new york short let apartments? would like to go to new york for 4 weeks in the summer and rent an apartment rather than stay in a hotel for that length of time

I know my aunt stayed in apartments off times square and found them to be really good.... Can't remember the name off the top of my head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

Hey,
    Im heading over June 10th with two other guys on a and we're lookin to get an aparrment until mid-late august....whats the best places to look to get one??

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bravadin

Anyone know anything about the Gershwin hotel. My daughter and her friend are thinking of booking a room here but the reviews she has found are very mixed. It's on e27 th St. It seems to be a hostel as well as a hotel. Any advice welcome.

• Advertisement

How hard it is to drive in new york?

Will be arriving by car from washington and need to make it 40st.

Is it hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 billyburg

Hey,
    Im heading over June 10th with two other guys on a and we're lookin to get an aparrment until mid-late august....whats the best places to look to get one??

newyork.craigslist.org, look under sublets / temporary.
    just don't hand over any money until you know its for real, or use paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

hi just wondering if any one has stayed here before?? due to stay here in aug for 7 nights and was just wondering if any one has been already.

house45 wrote: »
    hi just wondering if any one has stayed here before?? due to stay here in aug for 7 nights and was just wondering if any one has been already.

Mentioned earlier in this thread. I stayed there for 5 nights about 2 years ago, it's very nice. Nice and modern, clean and decent room sizes by NYC's standards. Nice and central too, just two blocks away from the central bus station and one block away from Macy's. There's a subway station across the road too. It has a nice diner attached to it as well.
    Plus it's actually not that expensive compared to other hotels of a similar standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Has anyone ever stayed in Distrikt Hotel NYC?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

what the work scene like in ny construction have all my paperwork thinking of going back am i crazy::

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cunninstunt

Heading to NY for 5 nights in November, Thanksgiving week actually. Thinking of booking in at the Staybridge Suites 334 W 40th. Has anyone ever stayed here? Reviews on trip advisor look very good and seems like a decent location. Have never been to new york before so was just looking for some feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

house45 wrote: »

Stayed there in March. Super clean but small rooms, brilliant location across the roads from MSG short walk to empire state, Macys, time Sq. Not a bad word to say about the place. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Heading to NY for 5 nights in November, Thanksgiving week actually. Thinking of booking in at the Staybridge Suites 334 W 40th. Has anyone ever stayed here? Reviews on trip advisor look very good and seems like a decent location. Have never been to new york before so was just looking for some feedback.

You are really going too like it there for thanks giving week. If you can go see the radio city show that well be on and go see santa in Macys. me and my mother went and got a photo with him. He knew all about the bad weather that was here. He must be the real Santa.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

Anyone have a good site to book a return transfer from JFK airport into manhattan

Advertisement