Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NYCexcitement

Hi All, Going to NYC for Paddys Weekend ...yayyyy!:eek: Anyways it's my boyfriends birthday while we are there. Can I please get some recommendations on something different and maybe unique to do or place to go for it. Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Hi All, Going to NYC for Paddys Weekend ...yayyyy!:eek: Anyways it's my boyfriends birthday while we are there. Can I please get some recommendations on something different and maybe unique to do or place to go for it. Thanks in advance :)

What type of person is your boyfriend? What does he enjoy?

hiya, he likes a bit of a thrill, anything once its fun. He also likes historical things but I'd rather not do something like that as we will be sightseeing while there. There will be another couple with us so 4 people looking for something fun or exciting. Personally I was thinking (I know you will think it is awful) but going to a strip club and getting him a lap dance but seems really tacky!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Well, it's not stipping but I've always thought the trapeze school looks like a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

hiya, he likes a bit of a thrill, anything once its fun. He also likes historical things but I'd rather not do something like that as we will be sightseeing while there. There will be another couple with us so 4 people looking for something fun or exciting. Personally I was thinking (I know you will think it is awful) but going to a strip club and getting him a lap dance but seems really tacky!
    Well if he likes historical stuff I'd definitely recommend going to see the Intrepid Battleship. It's docked beside the dock where you do the Circle Line tour. We had an hour to kill before the next boat and it was brilliant. I was going mad that we left so little time to explore the place fully. There's loads of cool fighter jets and the Concorde (which you can get on, but we didn't have enough time :( ) on the ship's runway. It's not that expensive either.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well if he likes historical stuff I'd definitely recommend going to see the Intrepid Battleship. It's docked beside the dock where you do the Circle Line tour. We had an hour to kill before the next boat and it was brilliant. I was going mad that we left so little time to explore the place fully. There's loads of cool fighter jets and the Concorde (which you can get on, but we didn't have enough time :( ) on the ship's runway. It's not that expensive either.

Bazmo that is a brilliant idea :) I was just looking at it!! Sold!! He and I will absolutely love it and I'm sure the other couple will!! Thank you so much for telling me about this I really appreciate it. I was thinking of a baseball/basketball/hockey game but unfortunately there are none on while we are there. We will be out and about for the Paddy's Day parade so I will have to plan the Battleship around this :eek:

Bazmo that is a brilliant idea :) I was just looking at it!! Sold!! He and I will absolutely love it and I'm sure the other couple will!! Thank you so much for telling me about this I really appreciate it. I was thinking of a baseball/basketball/hockey game but unfortunately there are none on while we are there. We will be out and about for the Paddy's Day parade so I will have to plan the Battleship around this :eek:

There is always something on around the area. The Brooklyn Nets are playing the Atlanta Hawks in Brooklyn on Paddy's Day at 8PM.

http://www.stubhub.com/brooklyn-nets-tickets/brooklyn-nets-brooklyn-barclays-center-3-17-2013-4118659/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Myself and a friend are moving to NY for 5 months for a work placement. In case we can't get accommodation sorted before we go, we've booked a hostel for the first ten nights.

Booked the hostel last night, thought it was OK. Near central park, on manhattan island, even if it is a bit north. Figured out this morning that it's actually in East Harlem. East Harlem has a rep for being a rough area, but is it really as bad as it is made out to be? We can cancel the hostel and only lose our first nights fee (around €20 each), but it is by far the cheapest hostel we can find.

Obviously we aren't going to be taking the p*ss over there, but we are going to want to go out around New York and experience the nightlife etc. Just curious about people's thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Myself and a friend are moving to NY for 5 months for a work placement. In case we can't get accommodation sorted before we go, we've booked a hostel for the first ten nights.

Booked the hostel last night, thought it was OK. Near central park, on manhattan island, even if it is a bit north. Figured out this morning that it's actually in East Harlem. East Harlem has a rep for being a rough area, but is it really as bad as it is made out to be? We can cancel the hostel and only lose our first nights fee (around €20 each), but it is by far the cheapest hostel we can find.

Obviously we aren't going to be taking the p*ss over there, but we are going to want to go out around New York and experience the nightlife etc. Just curious about people's thoughts.

You don't give the street address but I imagine you will be fine and have no problems. When I moved to NY me and a friend stayed on a hostel on 125th street for 5 nights and while we didn't see one other white person at all around our hostel we never felt unsafe or threatened. NY has stats as the safest big city in the world - you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I live in the area to the south of East/Spanish Harlem. It has gentrified a lot over the last couple of years. I know a couple of people who live in the area and they have never had any problems.

There is good transportation from that part of Manhattan to get further south (4,5,6 train on Lexington Ave and the Select Bus on 2nd Avenue).

There is more crime above 96th St than below, but like any big city, have your wits about you and it'll be fine. As previous poster said, New York has very low crime stats and it is the most populated city in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Right going on a cruise and it starts and ends in New jersey.....then staying in NY...around times square for 5 nights (Paddys Day included)....anyway way a couple of questions......Are hotel is the Algonquin....anyone ever stayed there and whats it like....i know i will have to go out to that Woodbury Common with her shopping for a day.....and another day will be just on the Piss for Patricks Day....but for the other few days...would love her just to go shopping and leave me to hit some bars.....not the tourists traps......but local bars, were tourists would be welcome......anyone have any recomendations ....Cheers...................Oh i might have to go and see the big statute of the lady holding the olympic torch.......but hopefully i could do that in the morning and get it over and done with

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

efc67 wrote: »
    Right going on a cruise and it starts and ends in New jersey.....then staying in NY...around times square for 5 nights (Paddys Day included)....anyway way a couple of questions......Are hotel is the Algonquin....anyone ever stayed there and whats it like....i know i will have to go out to that Woodbury Common with her shopping for a day.....and another day will be just on the Piss for Patricks Day....but for the other few days...would love her just to go shopping and leave me to hit some bars.....not the tourists traps......but local bars, were tourists would be welcome......anyone have any recomendations ....Cheers...................Oh i might have to go and see the big statute of the lady holding the olympic torch.......but hopefully i could do that in the morning and get it over and done with

Statue of Liberty is closed and no opening date has been announced - after Hurricane Sandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You sound like great fun

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You sound like great fun

Oh i am....just not into getting dragged round shops all day

• Registered Users Posts: 37 solarchick

Hi All,

Heading to new york for 5 days thurs 14th-Tues 19th March. Am looking for some advice , would have loved to have seen the ellis island museum and the statue of liberty but it seems to be closed after hurricane sandy, is this true? We were thinking of getting a two day new york pass, has anyone done this before and realistically what did they fit in in two days? we are not the rushing around from place to place type so not sure if its for us but it does seem to be good value. Also what will we do for paddys day I hear the parade is kinda boring is this true? We are staying in the hilton on west 54th street I think so from what I gather we are central enough.

one last thing would we get jersey gardens in in half a day??! I would imagine woodbury common would take the full day.

Thanks in advance for your advice ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

solarchick wrote: »
    Hi All,

Heading to new york for 5 days thurs 14th-Tues 19th March. Am looking for some advice , would have loved to have seen the ellis island museum and the statue of liberty but it seems to be closed after hurricane sandy, is this true? We were thinking of getting a two day new york pass, has anyone done this before and realistically what did they fit in in two days? we are not the rushing around from place to place type so not sure if its for us but it does seem to be good value. Also what will we do for paddys day I hear the parade is kinda boring is this true? We are staying in the hilton on west 54th street I think so from what I gather we are central enough.

one last thing would we get jersey gardens in in half a day??! I would imagine woodbury common would take the full day.

Ya it is still closed after sandy.

You are not far from times square and 5th ave were ye are staying

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

Hi All,

Commons is a tourist trap. Avoid. Jersey gardens you might do in half a day if you'll be outside when the shops open the door. Go to century 21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭slingerz

Woodbury Common >>>>>> Jersey Gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭slingerz

Im moving to the NYC area full time this summer with work. Our offices will be located in Jersey City so I think staying in Hoboken would be best for both closeness to work and access to Manhattan.

Any tips on finding suitable accoomodatyion as everything seems to be $2000+., ideally would like to stay with likeminded irish over there rather than anyti=hing else as a private rental seems prohibitably expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

slingerz wrote: »
    Im moving to the NYC area full time this summer with work. Our offices will be located in Jersey City so I think staying in Hoboken would be best for both closeness to work and access to Manhattan.

Any tips on finding suitable accoomodatyion as everything seems to be $2000+., ideally would like to stay with likeminded irish over there rather than anyti=hing else as a private rental seems prohibitably expensive

Hoboken is very expensive. You won't get much for 2k. Secaucus is not that far away but still close enough to jersey city plus pretty easy to commute. There is a real estate agent there called Paterson real estate they can find you rental easy enough. The lady's name is Jeanie. A few Irish live there. If you are looking to stay with a few Irish people in Hoboken/Jersey City your best bet is to talk to some one like Paulie in mulligans bar on first street in hoboken. He knows all the local Irish and would be able to point u in the right direction.

• Advertisement

Hi All

Heading to Newyork 14th MArch-19th March
    Can you please look at my planned iteniry and give me some advice on whether or not you think its "do-able" or not!!

thanks in advance for your advice

Thursday arrive @ 5pm- hotel 7pm
    dinner & relax

Friday
    American Natural History Museum

Rockefeller Centre, -

Central Park, rent a boat maybe

Broadway show that night

Saturday
    11am –timeshare meeting at our hotel (have to attend or else get penalised by 500$),

Circle Line cruise,

meeting up with friends that evening\night for a party

Sunday,
    st patricks day parade,

9\11 memorial

Monday
    Jersey Gardens (-shopping )

Empire State at night

Tuesday -depart at 7.40pm –

Central park in the morning? 5th aveue shopping-

leave hotel at 3.30pm for airport.

Thanks all ! :D:):o

Hi All

Heading to Newyork 14th MArch-19th March
    Can you please look at my planned iteniry and give me some advice on whether or not you think its "do-able" or not!!

thanks in advance for your advice

Thursday arrive @ 5pm- hotel 7pm
    dinner & relax

Friday
    American Natural History Museum

Rockefeller Centre, -

Central Park, rent a boat maybe

Broadway show that night

Saturday
    11am –timeshare meeting at our hotel (have to attend or else get penalised by 500$),

Circle Line cruise,

meeting up with friends that evening\night for a party

Sunday,
    st patricks day parade,

9\11 memorial

Monday
    Jersey Gardens (-shopping )

Empire State at night

Tuesday -depart at 7.40pm –

Central park in the morning? 5th aveue shopping-

leave hotel at 3.30pm for airport.

Thanks all ! :D:):o

Ok i will be there from the 15th to the 20th.....had all my days planned out..........................till i found out the St Patricks Parade is on the 16th (Saturday) and not on the day itself..................messed all my plans up....now have to go on a heavy session 2 days running :)

thanks for the heads up efc67!! luckily I saw this and had not made reservations.

any other opinions on my iteniry??

Do I need to book ground zero tickets in advance?

thanks for the heads up efc67!! luckily I saw this and had not made reservations.

any other opinions on my iteniry??

Do I need to book ground zero tickets in advance?

Not sure about booking tickets for ground zero......We arrived in New York yesterday and its very cold so wrap up....they are giving snow tomorrow, but I am going on a cruuse today for 10 days so will be back in New York on 15th, hopefully will all be gone by then........I was up at 6.30 this morning so headed out to see if I could get a coffee at that time...expected no one to be around.....but was busier here than on a saturday afternoon in Grafton Street........getting dragged to macys in a bit, so pray for me

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yew_tree

You must reserve a pass for Ground Zero here: http://www.911memorial.org/visitor-passes

The museum is not open yet as far as I know but this pass gets you into the garden and area around the reflective pools where all the names of those who died are.

This area will be open to the general public (i,e without having to book) I gather once the new WTC site is fully complete. Except airport style security when going through. I brought my passport but was not asked for it, but I would bring it anyway just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

Not sure about booking tickets for ground zero......We arrived in New York yesterday and its very cold so wrap up....they are giving snow tomorrow, but I am going on a cruuse today for 10 days so will be back in New York on 15th, hopefully will all be gone by then........I was up at 6.30 this morning so headed out to see if I could get a coffee at that time...expected no one to be around.....but was busier here than on a saturday afternoon in Grafton Street........getting dragged to macys in a bit, so pray for me

I feel sorry for you. I went with my mother the first time and she made me do all the floors, all I wanted was to see santa

wheres the best site to book a broadway show? I presume its better to book in advance?

yew_tree wrote: »

This area will be open to the general public (i,e without having to book) I gather once the new WTC site is fully complete. Except airport style security when going through. I brought my passport but was not asked for it, but I would bring it anyway just in case.

Don't bother about the passport. I've been there 5-6 times and never was asked for ID, nevermind Passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

slingerz wrote: »

Well $2k is probably not unrealistic for Hoboken but you could probably find cheaper. However also consider parts of Jersey City ( look at near the PATH system - Grove St is an interesting area) - beware JC varies. Another cheaper alternative would be somewhere on the light rail system - e.g Bayonne or maybe Weehawken. Further out and you will probably need to have a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

my friend is looking to go to New York August Next year. I know its a long time away but its the only time he can get a week off. had a look at the flights and they are between € 1450 - 1540 is there a better time to book. I think that's a little expensive all help appreciated

Advertisement