Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

tankbarry wrote: »
    my friend is looking to go to New York August Next year. I know its a long time away but its the only time he can get a week off. had a look at the flights and they are between € 1450 - 1540 is there a better time to book. I think that's a little expensive all help appreciated

I wouldn't go near NYC in August. Tell your friend to read the text below from Tripadvisor's weather data on NYC...

Note that 86F is 30C exactly so 'upper 80s' means 30-32C. Add high humidity to that and it will feel more like 35-40C.

July, August

Weather: Hot, humid, sticky, sometimes oppressive. And that's outside, never mind the subways. Temps range from 70-95 and can get north of 100 occasionally, but highs are usually in the mid to upper 80's. Anticipate 20 degree temperature spikes in the subways. It's rather disgusting down there, and the heat brings out the worst subway odors. Don't underestimate the concept of humidity: it can make a warm day feel much hotter.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g60763-s208/New-York-City:New-York:Weather.And.When.To.Go.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

coylemj wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near NYC in August. Tell your friend to read the text below from Tripadvisor's weather data on NYC...

Note that 86F is 30C exactly so 'upper 80s' means 30-32C. Add high humidity to that and it will feel more like 35-40C.

July, August

Weather: Hot, humid, sticky, sometimes oppressive. And that's outside, never mind the subways. Temps range from 70-95 and can get north of 100 occasionally, but highs are usually in the mid to upper 80's. Anticipate 20 degree temperature spikes in the subways. It's rather disgusting down there, and the heat brings out the worst subway odors. Don't underestimate the concept of humidity: it can make a warm day feel much hotter.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g60763-s208/New-York-City:New-York:Weather.And.When.To.Go.html

This past August was beautiful. Plenty of Upper-70's/lower 80's days with very few humid days. Same for the August before if I remember rightly.

July was a different story, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

what is the best time after that to go Maybe late september

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    This past August was beautiful. Plenty of Upper-70's/lower 80's days with very few humid days. Same for the August before if I remember rightly.

July was a different story, however.

+1 NYC is pretty variable, you can be lucky or unlucky at any time of the year. I was there one Thanksgiving when the cops were out in short-sleeve shirts, the next time I was there for Thanksgiving it was bitterly cold with light snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I wouldnt not go based on weather because as said it can be variable. August while humid can be a bit quieter as the natives tend to get out of the city.

Regarding flights try www.skyscanner.ie

September can also be quite humid but there is no bad time to go to that city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I went a few years back and the trip was nearly cancelled due to a snow storm. When we got there it was -10° soooo cold!! But on the last day of the trip (1 days later) the temperature got up to around +18°! This was early March. So yeah, the weather can be so changeable.

Not sure I'd like to go at the height of the summer though, as I find it hard going visiting places in overbearing heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

what price should we be looking at for the 2 of us for the flights , we are now thinking about late november early december for going over

tankbarry wrote: »
    what price should we be looking at for the 2 of us for the flights , we are now thinking about late november early december for going over

Check the Aerlingus website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

Better still, check www.ebookers.ie

I think Delta work out cheapest, American Airlines are flying from Dublin now as well.
    We flew with Delta last time and they were very good.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Better still, check www.ebookers.ie

I think Delta work out cheapest, American Airlines are flying from Dublin now as well.
    We flew with Delta last time and they were very good.

I was more so saying that the poster should really check online themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

When I went to NY in Dec of 09 I think I got my flights with aer lingus for about €570 return

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

if you wanted a reasonably priced hotel for 2 in NYC for the 10-17 of Nov, is it a good idea to book now or later? I've been searching hotwire and priceline, one of the best deals is a hotel in Central Park west for about 810 CAD including the high hotwire taxes, 2.5 star, I think its "Astor in the Park" judging from betterbidding.com. Is that pretty good or better to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭ooter

Just came across this thread,was considering a trip to new York around Easter time next year for 2 adults and 2 kids under 18 for 5-7 days,could anyone give me a rough idea of what I should expect to pay,is it any more expensive for that time of year?
    Not looking to stay in the Ritz,decent accommodation and ease of access is all I'm looking for.
    Would I be better booking my own flights/accommodation or looking for a package deal?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭davidlynchis

Quick question! I am travelling to New York tomorrow and I want to pick up a good bit of duty free alcohol for a party I am having back here in Ireland. Does anyone know roughly if the duty free in America is cheaper than the loop in Dublin airport? Not sure whether to do the shop and collect in Dublin or pick it up in the states on my flight back.

Its about €15 for a litre bottle of brand spirits in the Loop.

I know its a bit of a "how long is a piece of string question" and Im not looking for definitive prices (seem to be impossible to find!) just a rough guide from people who have travelled recently!

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Shop and collect only works for people flying within the EU

from their website http://www.theloop.ie/t/ShopCollect

**** Please note that the Shop & Collect service is only available to passengers travelling within the European Union. ****

Advertisement