Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

Hi guys, sorry mods if this is in the wrong place.

I need to travel to New York for 5 days in november. Where will I get the cheapest flights? I seem to be able to get circa €400 return...is this about the best I 'll be able to get??

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DoraExplora

Thanks Mr Liffey, where re you seeing these gud hotel prices, i cant find any

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Can anybody recommend a cheap hostel that isnt a complete dive in Manhattan? Ill be looking for a private twin room.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Thanks Mr Liffey, where re you seeing these gud hotel prices, i cant find any

A tip I first saw on here, but well worth repeating in this thread - use Priceline.com, and "name your own price" - basically you bid for hotel rooms. Read sites such as www.betterbidding.com to find out how to do this. It is substantially cheaper than booking conventionally - especially for New York. Examples:

I got a room in June for a 4 star in Midtown @ €70 a night for two people. The same reservation through the hotel's own site was €240 a night.

I got another room this month for a 3.5 star in Midtown for €94 a night for two people, and the hotel's site was was working out at €215 a night.

I'd highly recommend it once you know what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭netvista

hey. just booked the hotel fopr my trip but realised that i only put 1 adult instead of 2. I can't cancel or ammend the booking (special price) so is there any other way to get it changed such as offering some brown envelopes at the desk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

netvista wrote: »
    hey. just booked the hotel fopr my trip but realised that i only put 1 adult instead of 2. I can't cancel or ammend the booking (special price) so is there any other way to get it changed such as offering some brown envelopes at the desk?
    Who did you book with?

Generally, you can just email the hotel and tell them you made a mistake. If it's a couple staying in the room it shouldn't be a problem as most rooms have a double bed in them, but if it's two mates and you want a bed it might be a bit of hassle for them. But either way it's easily sorted out.
    Just phone or email the hotel or the company you booked it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭netvista

thanks bazmo. everything sorted now.

on another note can anyone suggest a few good shop for the following:

electronics
    camping gear/sports wear
    and some bargain clothes shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Can anyone recommend a hostel in New York, I want to go for a few weeks in December. Are they safe? Has anyone ever stayed at the Lafayette International Hostel?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

cooperguy wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a cheap hostel that isnt a complete dive in Manhattan? Ill be looking for a private twin room.

Hey, I just checked out of the Hotel Pennsylvania (its down by Madison Square Garden) yesterday. Its rather dated but has nice beds and shower and isnt dirty, I got it for 444 for 3 nights (Fri-Sat-Sun) on priceline.com

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eddie-n07

Staying in Hotel Pennsylvannia for a week from saturday. Thats reassuring to hear its liveable in! Have read some awfull things about it.

Any cool bars/clubs/restaurants near this hotel that anyone would reccommend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Longfordian

netvista wrote: »
    thanks bazmo. everything sorted now.

on another note can anyone suggest a few good shop for the following:

electronics
    camping gear/sports wear
    and some bargain clothes shops

Try Tents and Trails on Park Place or Paragon on Broadway for camping stuff
    B & H for electronics 10th ave and 35th I think
    For clothes century21 is hard to beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

Can anyone recommend a hostel in New York, I want to go for a few weeks in December. Are they safe? Has anyone ever stayed at the Lafayette International Hostel?

I stayed in a really cool place about 2 years ago - arrived at 2am like a train wreck and they were so nice to me. Organised a shuttle bus to the airport for me on the cheap too. For the life of me I cant remember the name of it, just searched back through my emails and cant find it. I definately have a receipt or something at home though so will have a look and get back to you cos it had a nice crowd and was near Central Park.

FOUND IT!! Its called Continental Hostel, 330 West 95th Street, New York. It was really safe (has storage lockers for you to keep important stuff in while you're off walkies) and as I said already, had a nice crowd. It has a games room and nice sofa tv area for relaxing as well.

Just searched for it there on trip advisor and its called Fresh Hostel or something?? Dont know if they changed name, seems a bit odd. Reviews look 50/50 but all I can say is I liked it, cheap and cheerful! $18 for a 6 bed mixed dorm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

If anyone is interested & flying to JFK with Aer Lingus.
    This week we flow out on EI 105 on 'st Ronan'
    & back (EI108) on 'st Munchin' & both of these plane had the personal screens:D,not the screens in the centre that everyone has to watch:(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mill21

Hi, Anyone know how much notice you have to give before registering on the ESTA US immigration website.
    I haven't registered yet, but was thinking of getting a last minute hotel deal for tues/wed for 3 nights in NY. (with standby flights)
    Is that possible?

thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Don't worry about ESTA, you can do it anytime before getting on the plane. The immigration in Dublin still use and require you to fill in the older green form (think it's the i94), they won't even look at the ESTA form.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

hshortt - if you're going to give information, it might be useful to give correct info.

The US government recommend that the ESTA be completed at least 72 hours before travel. Mill21, you can complete it at any time - you don't have to wait to go on a trip to do it. It's free, and available at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov. Your registration is valid for 2 years or until you get a new passport.

The I-94W will still be completed by you at the airport/on board the aircraft. The ESTA is electronic so it's not a case of "they won't look". There is nothing physical for them to look at, the ESTA information is on the immigrations officer's screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

PS - "standby flights" don't really exist for those outside the airline industry.

Especially to the USA - they like to know who is coming long before they start the trip as much as is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Yadaa yadda yadda. Until the ESTA replaces the need to complete the i94w (thanks for the clarification), it's a pointless in Printing it out as recommended by the same site, it takes the same information as the i94w and not one offical person will ask to see it.

Will no one think of the trees? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Matt107av

Hi we are looking to travel to new York for a weekend around Christmas time hopefully but not fussy on dates.
    I suppose three nights, never been there before and I need advice of a good affordable agent/holiday company to book the trip with.

Please advise and also areas/hotels to stay over there, we can fly from belfast or Dublin, direct flight though.

Please help thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Hi

Heading to NY with the family for the mid term break in October. We're thinking of taking in a show on Broadway - Mary Poppins is on - I have a 4 and a 9 year old.

I know you can queue up and get discounted tickets but would rather book now and be assured of tickets.

Whats the best way to book - has the hand of ....master extended to the States or are there other options. I saw another ticket site on the web yesterday offering tickets for this show but a bit concerned that is might be a tout type site

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Im not sure where you can buy tickets online, but whenever we were going to a show we used the TKTS booth in times square. Never had an issue getting tickets for any show on the day, even wicked, which is constantly sold out.

details here:
    http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56&%20do=v

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

josh59 wrote: »
    Hi

Heading to NY with the family for the mid term break in October. We're thinking of taking in a show on Broadway - Mary Poppins is on - I have a 4 and a 9 year old.

I know you can queue up and get discounted tickets but would rather book now and be assured of tickets.

Whats the best way to book - has the hand of ....master extended to the States or are there other options. I saw another ticket site on the web yesterday offering tickets for this show but a bit concerned that is might be a tout type site

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

We bought tickets with ticketmaster for Mary Poppins before we left, $36 each or something for mezzanine seats, twas grand! The show was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Hi All,

I want to take my girlfrind to New York in December for 4 nights to do some shopping and take in the sights.

Just wondering where would I find the best deals for flights and hotel?

Cheers,

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jay28 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I want to take my girlfrind to New York in December for 4 nights to do some shopping and take in the sights.

Just wondering where would I find the best deals for flights and hotel?

Cheers,

Jay
    Don't mean to be abrupt, but you could try reading through the thread. Looooooads of info on Hotels & Flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Just did, cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Can no-one help me with Hostels?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Can no-one help me with Hostels?

Eh, someone did!
    vixenbees wrote: »
    I stayed in a really cool place about 2 years ago - arrived at 2am like a train wreck and they were so nice to me. Organised a shuttle bus to the airport for me on the cheap too. For the life of me I cant remember the name of it, just searched back through my emails and cant find it. I definately have a receipt or something at home though so will have a look and get back to you cos it had a nice crowd and was near Central Park.

FOUND IT!! Its called Continental Hostel, 330 West 95th Street, New York. It was really safe (has storage lockers for you to keep important stuff in while you're off walkies) and as I said already, had a nice crowd. It has a games room and nice sofa tv area for relaxing as well.

Just searched for it there on trip advisor and its called Fresh Hostel or something?? Dont know if they changed name, seems a bit odd. Reviews look 50/50 but all I can say is I liked it, cheap and cheerful! $18 for a 6 bed mixed dorm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nyc baby

For anyone heading to NYC Nov, Dec, etc check out continental flights at the moment are €380 inc taxes this also applies to Jan....also try momondo.com which will give you the cheapest flights options....the New Yorker Hotel is a good spot to stay as its just been renovated, room are small but the location is great as is the 24 hour tick tock diner connected to the hotel....hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nyc baby

Apologies.... continental site spitting out crazy prices today for Nov and Dec but keep checking it as I just booked Jan for €380 each and Nov and Dec were the same prices few days back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Matt107av

Thanks NYC baby, really helpful. Please excuse my ignorance but which airport is closest to NYC is it jfk? Sorry never been to the states.
    What's the best way to get from airport to city centre?

Advertisement