Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

finbarrk wrote: »
    Has anyone been at the Patricks Day parade? Just wondering how long does it go on for and what's the weather usually like then? Will the kids get bored with it after a while?
    I was there last there - watched the first hour of it, was good to see, loads of marching bands and groups not doing anything else other than marching. It wasn't too cold out, was nice. I was expecting the city to be very crowded, but it was grand - went away for about 4 hours and came back along the route and it was still going strong at 4pm with very few people watching it.
    The pubs and restaurants are very strict on the day and ask ALL ages for ID. They don't wanna have the street full of drunks. I think we were the only ones not wearing green...everyone else was. The weather was nice though all that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stik

Hi, I'm looking at hotels in New York for a short break but any of the ones that I've looked at are non-smoking. Would anyone know of any hotels that have bedrooms that you can smoke in or are all New York hotels completely non-smoking? Or could you just have a sneaky cig at the window or bathroom ;) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

stik wrote: »
    Or could you just have a sneaky cig at the window or bathroom ;) ?

They'll charge you a 200 dollar cleaning fee if they smell smoke in your bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

stik wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking at hotels in New York for a short break but any of the ones that I've looked at are non-smoking. Would anyone know of any hotels that have bedrooms that you can smoke in or are all New York hotels completely non-smoking? Or could you just have a sneaky cig at the window or bathroom ;) ?

My usual hotel of choice,the Red roof inn has smoking rooms,never had a problem getting one.

http://www.redroof.com/reservations/property-detail.aspx?pid=00605

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

Hi All,

Im heading to NY new week and was hoping to go and see A Steady Rain with Daniel Craig&Hugh Jackman on broadway while its still on. Its seems that all the tickets are sold out. Anyone know where I could get tickets and if the play is any good?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

going to new york in december and hoping to go to a show so all advise appreciated on what to wear ..:confused: want to bring as little clothes as possible to leave room for ALL that shopping..many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stik

Enii wrote: »
    They'll charge you a 200 dollar cleaning fee if they smell smoke in your bedroom.
    Thanks, better scrap that idea so!
    lord lucan wrote: »
    My usual hotel of choice,the Red roof inn has smoking rooms,never had a problem getting one.

http://www.redroof.com/reservations/property-detail.aspx?pid=00605
    Thanks for that, not available for my dates, but you put my mind at ease because I was beginning to think that all NY hotels were non-smoking. Eventually went with the Wellington Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Restaurants. Heading this weekend. Any good restaurants to recommend where we would be looking to spenad about $300?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

namaimo wrote: »
    Hi All,

Im heading to NY new week and was hoping to go and see A Steady Rain with Daniel Craig&Hugh Jackman on broadway while its still on. Its seems that all the tickets are sold out. Anyone know where I could get tickets and if the play is any good?!

you could go to the theatre the day you arrive and see what days there are some tickets available, people return tickets all the time...

Does o2 phones work in the states?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I'm on o2, but the network switches over to t-mobile when I'm there. If you go into BestBuy, you can pick up a pay-as-you-go phone for about $30 and that has a tenner credit on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

tfak85 wrote: »
    you could go to the theatre the day you arrive and see what days there are some tickets available, people return tickets all the time...

Go to craigslist.org and click the NYC link and then look under tickets. You will often see people trying to get rid of their tickets for a lot cheaper than the original price.

gimmick wrote: »
    Restaurants. Heading this weekend. Any good restaurants to recommend where we would be looking to spenad about $300?

Le Cirque
    La Bernadin
    Lutece
    The Four Seasons

going to new york in december and hoping to go to a show so all advise appreciated on what to wear ..:confused: want to bring as little clothes as possible to leave room for ALL that shopping..many thanks

Wear casual. No one dresses up anymore, except the dumb tourists. You will just look like someone who never goes to the theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

i know its not union square but we stayed in radio city apartments. we had 2 double beds, 1 bedroom, kitchen, sitting room 800 euro 6 nights. they have bigger rooms with more bed rooms, not sure of the price. 1800 hotels are who we use

"Wear casual. No one dresses up anymore, except the dumb tourists. You will just look like someone who never goes to the theatre. "

that's brilliant thanks ..5 weeks and 6 days to go ..can't wait:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Is there anyway of buying tickets on ticketmaster.com for broadway? I want to buy tickets to The Lion King but It doesnt seem to give you an option to fill in address outside the US or Canada. Broadway.com charges huge amounts of fees so id prefer not to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

cooperguy wrote: »
    Is there anyway of buying tickets on ticketmaster.com for broadway? I want to buy tickets to The Lion King but It doesnt seem to give you an option to fill in address outside the US or Canada. Broadway.com charges huge amounts of fees so id prefer not to use them.

Just back from NYC and my dad got the tix for the Lion King on ticketmaster no issues, think he used the address/ZIP code of your hotel.

The Lion King is absolutely incredible, do NOT miss it whatever you do!

sdonn wrote: »
    Just back from NYC and my dad got the tix for the Lion King on ticketmaster no issues, think he used the address/ZIP code of your hotel.

Tickets booked, thanks for the help. I hope it lives up to your review!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

Hi all,

Heading over in about 2 weeks for 5 days, want to head out to experience the New York night life so any suggestions on bars or clubs to go to? Looked at a few sites and everything suggested was Jazz related. I would be more into live music and a club or 2.

Thanks

Ps. Thanks for posting advice on how to sort out Lion King tickets, saves me asking :-)

• Advertisement

hi
    Just 2 more questions ! and I know it's there somewhere about tips but can't find it .when do we tip the cleaners in the hotel room.every day or at the end ? and what show would any one recommend .I enjoyed the film Billy Elliott ,anyone been to that ..open to all suggestions and thanks ins advance for all your help .This is a great thread
    Many thanks mv

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

We are planning to go to Avenue Q, I love the songs from it. Wicked is also supposed to be great.

Last time I was in NYC, we were going to tip at the end and the second last day our maid told us she had cleaned our room all week and she wouldn't be in tomorrow so I gave her a twenty, but otherwise I would have left it on the table on the last day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

mackey087 wrote: »
    i know its not union square but we stayed in radio city apartments. we had 2 double beds, 1 bedroom, kitchen, sitting room 800 euro 6 nights. they have bigger rooms with more bed rooms, not sure of the price. 1800 hotels are who we use

I'm staying there in a few weeks :D how far of a walk is it to Times Square? can you recommend any good bars or clubs in the vacinity?? I'm going with my family for 3 nites but myself and the sister have vowed to paint the town red at least one of the nights while we're there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

hi
    Just 2 more questions ! and I know it's there somewhere about tips but can't find it .when do we tip the cleaners in the hotel room.every day or at the end ? and what show would any one recommend .I enjoyed the film Billy Elliott ,anyone been to that ..open to all suggestions and thanks ins advance for all your help .This is a great thread
    Many thanks mv

I've never tipped the room cleaner tbh. I've always figured that in my twisted logic that the man/woman cleaning your room could finish their week the day before you leave hence someone else who has done nothing for you gets the cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

lord lucan wrote: »
    I've never tipped the room cleaner tbh. I've always figured that in my twisted logic that the man/woman cleaning your room could finish their week the day before you leave hence someone else who has done nothing for you gets the cash!
    I've always just left whatever change I've managed to accumulate over my stay. Not much point taking it with you, unless you're holidaying in Europe! :)

I would be more into live music and a club or 2.

Check out CIELO in the meatpacking district. Mostly house music. I was there last week and loved it. That said, I am a house fan.

If you like good beer check out one of the Heartland Brewhouses as well. We went to the one at the base of the empire state building. Their Heffeweissen is lovely.

gimmick wrote: »
    Restaurants. Heading this weekend. Any good restaurants to recommend where we would be looking to spend about $300?

Ended up going to TAO and Spice Market. Both very very nice.

sdonn wrote: »

Was at the Lion King on Tuesday. It was absolutely fantastic. I will be recommending it to anybody I know going to New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Longfordian

Folks,

If you are looking to save money on lodging I have a spare bedroom and bathroom in my apt in a very high end luxury doorman building in the Flatiron district. Apt has cable TV, wireless internet, gym, valet service, doorman and concierge and is located at Fifth Ave and 26th St. Full high-end kitchen .You can walk to Times Square, Macy's, Rockefeller Center and Union Sq. If you want to live like a real New Yorker while you are here drop me a line. Rates are E100 per night for the room. Full high-end kitchen Christmas and New Years are already booked but other times may be available. You can see the building here and here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

Only a week to go to the trip, planning on going on the trip out to the statue of liberty on one of the days. Does anyone recommend the climb up to the top of it??

I'm not the best with small enclosed spaces and especially when you throw in stairs. Judging by the descriptions on the websites its cramped and I've heard its narrow stairs which have the spacing between each stair and are windy. I cant stand the thoughts of doing it, but if its worth while then I'll probably give it a go.

So should I just go for it or am I missing much by not climbing?? Or whats the stair like?

Advertisement