Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Only a week to go to the trip, planning on going on the trip out to the statue of liberty on one of the days. Does anyone recommend the climb up to the top of it??

I'm not the best with small enclosed spaces and especially when you throw in stairs. Judging by the descriptions on the websites its cramped and I've heard its narrow stairs which have the spacing between each stair and are windy. I cant stand the thoughts of doing it, but if its worth while then I'll probably give it a go.

So should I just go for it or am I missing much by not climbing?? Or whats the stair like?

You need a seperate ticket for the crown,they're sold out for the next month. You could chance your arm and ask at the kiosk if they have any spare. There's only a limited amount released every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

I wouldn't bother going up the crown to be honest. You don't see much more than you would on the ground.

I'm like you and get a bit claustrophobic and by the time i'd got to the top i really just glanced and then headed back down as i was so uncomfortable, even without that there are so many people behind you you don't feel ok with looking out for more than a minute i'd say.

I found the Ellis Island tour great myself really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dereko1969 wrote: »
    I found the Ellis Island tour great myself really interesting.
    I agree. Ellis Island is infinitely more interesting than the Statue of Liberty.

Only advice would be to get down to the Ferry early, and by early I mean 8am early. Get over to the Statue of Liberty, get your pictures taken and then hop on the next Ferry to Ellis Island and spend a good bit of time there. They do free tours or you can pick an audio guide at the reception for $12 which is what we did and it was great. You could just wander around the place at your own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I am going over to New York in May.I am heading to orlando first and will be getting a connecting flight in Newark. Do you take your bags of and put them back on for flight to orlando.

Also whats the best way to get to Manhattan from Newark? Our hotel is across from 34th Penn Station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

if its a connecting flight you will check it in dublin and you should get it in newark. we used the share a ride mini bus. $60 return for both of us. if you use the public bus the terminal in manhattan is not to far from 34th st. not sure of the price but it would be cheaper. took us 35 mins to get to hotel just off time square

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Slunk wrote: »
    I am going over to New York in May.I am heading to orlando first and will be getting a connecting flight in Newark. Do you take your bags of and put them back on for flight to orlando.

Also whats the best way to get to Manhattan from Newark? Our hotel is across from 34th Penn Station

The Airtrain goes from Newark to Penn. http://www.stewartintlairport.com/airtrainnewark/fromNewark_midtownMan.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

the yellow taxi (as far as i know car and mini bus type) has a flat rate to any where in Manhattan of $45 plus tolls.

thats the way it was this time last year anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Thanks, the airtrain seems handy alright.

cazmcco wrote: »
    the yellow taxi (as far as i know car and mini bus type) has a flat rate to any where in Manhattan of $45 plus tolls.

thats the way it was this time last year anyways.

That's from JFK,a taxi from Newark to Manhattan will set you back a few quid,anywhere between $50 to $70 +tolls. The NYTransit train is $15 one way and has you in the city in 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

lord lucan wrote: »
    That's from JFK,a taxi from Newark to Manhattan will set you back a few quid,anywhere between $50 to $70 +tolls. The NYTransit train is $15 one way and has you in the city in 30 minutes.

I booked a cab online for Newark to Manhattan and it cost me $40 plus tolls. Around $55 in total. Got stung with a fare of $90 heading back to the Airport. Doorman told me it'd only be around $50. Had an argument with the taxi driver but what can you do.
    It'll be train next time!

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I booked a cab online for Newark to Manhattan and it cost me $40 plus tolls. Around $55 in total. Got stung with a fare of $90 heading back to the Airport. Doorman told me it'd only be around $50. Had an argument with the taxi driver but what can you do.
    It'll be train next time!

I've never used a taxi from Newark myself,i've always used the train cause i've heard so many varied tales of different fares from there. The train has never let me down yet,though if you had substantial luggage the road option would probably be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Hi Guys.
    Im planning a return visit to New York in febuary as a surprise birthday present for my wifes 40th.We were there in 2006 staying in Radio city apts.Then we mostly just shopped but this time i want to do more sightseeing and eating/drinking as this time no kids in tow.Im thinking of going back to the same apts although i would like to choose somewhere a bit more special because of the occasion so if anyone has any ideas i would love to hear from you.I have read and read all the reviews of the most popular hotels and to be honest i keep coming back to the radio city apts as i know them.Also any info on the best tours or places of interest to visit.Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Radio City apts have a good reputation anyway if you can afford them.
    I tried booking them for Paddys week but a bit expensive. Got the Affinia Dumont instead.

http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Affinia-Dumont&cid=AffiniaDumontBranded_SEARCH_GOOGLE_affinia_dumont_HOME

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Just a quick word of advice for anyone hoping to see a game at Madison Square Garden while you're there. Most of the events sell out, the rangers have "sold out" all their games for the last 4 years or something. But a lot of season ticket holders don't turn up for whatever reason. I was there for a few games last week and it was at least a 1/4 empty looking.

Anyway, season ticket holders can put their tickets up for sale on http://www.thegarden.com/tickets/ticket-exchange.html so even if ticketmaster or the arena says they are sold out you can still get tickets up to 2 hours before the game starts.

I was in the 300 level along the sides and the view was amazing. Unless you are a complete fanatic for the teams I wouldn't spend much extra to get a little closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robbie_62

Hi Guys

Trying to plan a holiday for next year for me \ wife and baby,

Was originally planning on a sun holiday but now im looking at New York

Im going to be very busy next year with work so I want to get a good holiday away with wife and baby next year.

We are looking at going around sept next year,baby will be around 18 Months at the time.

Has anyone taken a baby that age on a flight to new york ?

Really would like to bring him with us as we couldnt bear to leave him at home.

Also,what options would you have with baby on a plane ?

Seat for the baby or on parents lap ?

Thanks for any suggestions !

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

robbie_62 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Trying to plan a holiday for next year for me \ wife and baby,

Was originally planning on a sun holiday but now im looking at New York

Im going to be very busy next year with work so I want to get a good holiday away with wife and baby next year.

We are looking at going around sept next year,baby will be around 18 Months at the time.

Has anyone taken a baby that age on a flight to new york ?

Really would like to bring him with us as we couldnt bear to leave him at home.

Also,what options would you have with baby on a plane ?

Seat for the baby or on parents lap ?

Thanks for any suggestions !

Rob

I have done this trip several times with my baby who is now two. The last one was when he was 18 mos. I have vowed not to do it again until he is 7.

When they are little babies and NOT WALKING and not that aware, then its not that hard. The hardest part is all the gear you have to carry onto the plane. They are still small enough to fit into the bassinette.

BUT when they start walking and are aware OMH welcome to hell. You will be up and down that asile for 7 hours. You will have to make sure they dont knock all of the trays down all over the place when the meals are being served. And they are getting to big for the tiny changing facilities in the airplane.

Now, my son is a great traveller, doesnt cry doesnt scream, but is infinitely curious. You know what this means? This means on the way back doing the redeye, they do not SLEEP, because they are too curious. I remember about 6 babies on that flight, NOT ONE slept. Ok so landing time, which is around 5 am Irish time, midnight NYC time, guess what? He falls asleep just at landing. So then, I had to wake him up to do the seatbelt attachment which attaches around the baby to your seatbelt, while he is screaming in your ears and utterly exhausted. ANd then you have to get off the plane with a screaming baby carrying all that crap you brought for them, the bottles, the dvd player, the dvds, the crayons, the nappies, the puzzles, the comfort toy, etc etc.

But if you can get past that, NYC is great and worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robbie_62

LOL thanks for the vivid images !

Yeah he is walking and is def curious,Can just picture him ending up in the Flight deck !!

Do you mind me asking what kind of planes do Aer Lingus use on flights to the US ?

Is there much room to get around ?

Do the flight attendants mind if you take the baby down the aisle for a walk now and then ?

I wouldnt mind him moving around a bit as I wouldnt expect him to stay in one place for that long anyway,

Thanks for the info !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I have to say in my experience Aer Lingus staff are amazing and the only way I would fly with a small child, especially on a transatlantic. I am a single parent and travel alone with my son so I have him in one arm often and all the crap that comes with him in another. [He is now old enough to squiggle away and run down the aisle saying hello to everyone while his mother fumbles with all the crap trying to find the seat]. But the staff have often sat with him if I have to get to go to the bathroom and have been so accommodating. The ONLY airline to let families on first. Will warm bottles for you. They are just so understanding. They have even looked for seats where their are empty ones in case the child wants to stretch out. I cant say enough good things about AL.

Aer Lingus use the Airbus. It has two isles so it is spacious enough, but you still wont escape cabin fever with a 7 hour flight.

Delta, USAIR and continental use a one aisle plane - NO WAY. Dont do it. They even seated me by the engine with him once. Bad news.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Get this.. we are booked into Radio City apartments since last January.. Our tour operator has just gotten in touch with us and offered us an "upgrade" to the a "4 star" place on 32nd Street with 2 bathrooms.. I just had a look on Google Earth and it's like 5 times the distance from Times Square as Radio City.. What's their game have they double booked the hotel or what?

I had a look at the place they were 'upgrading' us to and it doesn't even look like a 4 star infact it doesn't even have a decent website just a PDF brochure job with feck all pics on it..

Needless to say we've declined their offer.. Has this happened to anyone else??

Update - They are ringing Radio City to see if they can "accommodate us" :eek: we have this booked since January 09 wft is going on???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

For what it's worth, I'd prefer to be on 32th street than 49th as anytime I'm in the city I tend to do my shopping and entertaining south of Times Square.

Who is the tour operator ?

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I'd prefer to be on 32th street than 49th as anytime I'm in the city I tend to do my shopping and entertaining south of Times Square.

Yeah,around the corner from 32nd street you have Macys,Manhattan Mall(mainly the JCPennys mall now) and a few sports shops(modells) and shoe shops. Most shops around time square are touristy shops and cheap electrical shops.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ponster wrote: »

Sunway... They've cleared it up now anyway and we're still booked into Radio City.. No explanation why they were trying to move us but I don't care once our plans aren't affected..

It's more a principal thing though tbh.. Trying to 'upgrade' us to a place that looked nowhere near the 4 stars they were trying to convince us it was.. after we booked our trip a year ago.. I think not.. I don't like these companies trying to screw people over..

Anyway all sorted now :) happy days.. *touch wood*

Hi Guys.

Just want to ask what is the quickest easiest and i suppose cheapest way out to Woodbury Common and return.Last time we were there three years ago there was eight of us and we had a mini bus so cost was very little when divided up but this time there is only two.Any help appreciated thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

rovers2001 wrote: »
    Hi Guys.

Just want to ask what is the quickest easiest and i suppose cheapest way out to Woodbury Common and return..................

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp?id=7

:)

Thats a fantastic help thanks alot much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Is there any museum in NY that has a tyrannosaurus rex skeleton on display?! Or any other big dynosaurs?
    Natural History Museum on central park. Awesome. You will need at least a day to even begin to explore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

docmol wrote: »
    Natural History Museum on central park. Awesome. You will need at least a day to even begin to explore it.

Been there, done that, got the blisters on my feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

Hi,

Anybody travelled business class with delta to New York? if so, any good?

Anybody stayed in New York Palace Hotel or Jumeirah Essex - any comments good or bad.

RGds,

D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

The Delta seats are usually old-style (not lie-flat), but still very comfortable. The staff are usually very friendly. Food is pretty decent. Wine is so-so. There's a good selection of recent movies. The Anna Livia lounge in Dublin is pretty rubbish, but the Delta lounges in JFK are nice.

If you are paying for it yourself, Delta have some good deals at the moment for December/January - €999 return all-in.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Anybody travelled business class with delta to New York? if so, any good?

Anybody stayed in New York Palace Hotel or Jumeirah Essex - any comments good or bad.

RGds,

D
    If you are going to spend a few bob on a new york hotel as opposed to budget,then I wouldn't recommend those two.
    Theres actually some great deals at the plaza at the moment [the famous one-see fairmont hotels.com] and the pierre which is all newly refurbished.
    The plaza athenee is also high brow http://www.plaza-athenee.com/default.asp thats without mentioning,the mandarin oriental,the four seasons,the ritz carlton central park etc etc

As for the type of seat on delta business elete to new york,It's not fully flat I understand..at least the one to Atlanta isn't.
    It's a cradle seat with avod etc

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11886964-post6.html

Advertisement