Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sopranos - final season postponed on RTÉ

• 14-05-2007 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

I've just heard that the Sopranos won't be starting this Thursday on RTÉ as planned, but has been moved to next Thursday, May 24th..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

yeah, the election debate it on instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

It's not on instead though. It's on RTÉ One. They've stuck in that **** movie, Road Trip instead..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

hot fuss wrote:
    It's not on instead though. It's on RTÉ One. They've stuck in that **** movie, Road Trip instead..

Why?:confused:

Not sure, but probably because they don't want anything big up against the leader debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

hot fus, if you can listen to what, it says in the papers on, morning ireland why the sopranos is moved to next thursday,very funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah I heard about this today, they just went and pissed me right off. Rté just don't want anything good on at the same time as the election debate that could take away from its ratings. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Maybe RTE don't care about the license paying public? It's a preposterous thought I know, but that's the only reason I could think they would do something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

alleepally wrote:
    Maybe RTE don't care about the license paying public?

You are waiting a whole week. You'd swear they have decided not to show it completely the way you are going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Mossy Monk wrote:
    You are waiting a whole week. You'd swear they have decided not to show it completely the way you are going on.

Nah, don't even watch the programme. Couldn't give a toss really but felt the need to knock RTE today - k? You'd swear you loved RTE or something the way you're going on there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Rjd2 wrote:
    Why?:confused:

Unfortunately it doesn't suit the RTE 'brand' to have a pack of gangsters on one of their channels and the sopranos on the other at the same time :)

spatchco wrote:
    hot fus, if you can listen to what, it says in the papers on, morning ireland why the sopranos is moved to next thursday,very funny

Just listened to it online... hilarious!! That Shane Hegarty has a point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think its a good idea actually.. It serves 2 purposes. Firstly, those who would otherwise watch the Sopranos will be able to watch the debate, thus increasing ratings. Also, those who were gonna watch the debate anyway, but who would like to watch the Sopranos too (my dad included...) will be able to...

Oh I definitely agree. It is a good idea. I just don't understand why they weren't organised enough to decide it earlier. Why have all TV schedules, highlights etc.. promoting three new series on Thursday night and then all three are pushed back a week with 3 or 4 days notice!

Some forward planning wouldn't go amiss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Anyone who's really into the sopranos will have had their cousin in america post videos of the episodes over already... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I'm gutted..... Was awaiting this day for a month. damn. ah well next week will have to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Unfortunately it doesn't suit the RTE 'brand' to have a pack of gangsters on one of their channels and the sopranos on the other at the same time :)
    wacca wacca wacca
    what a freaking joke as the man himself would say. The sopranos would be a welcome alternative to listen to waffle about alternative govenment and the likes on one. Maybe bertie likes the sopranos and got them to hold off for a week just for him :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Fremen wrote:
    Anyone who's really into the sopranos will have had their cousin in america post videos of the episodes over already... :D
    A lot of people can't get in touch with their cousin though because the quality of their phone line is so bad.

At the end of the day, it's only another week. Plus, the opening few episodes are a bit slow, it'll take a few weeks to really get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Pi$$ed off here! How many eps in total; I was under the impression it was going to be a short run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

10 in total, have been 6 so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

Dodge wrote:
    10 in total, have been 6 so far

Think its actually only 9 in total, 3 left for the cousins to ship over. ;) 20th of May, 3rd of June, and then the finale on the 10th of June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yeah, you're right. I forget about the "bye week" on May 27th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    Yeah I heard about this today, they just went and pissed me right off. Rté just don't want anything good on at the same time as the election debate that could take away from its ratings. :(
    There is no advertising during the debate. It has nothing to do with ratings and everything to do with the fact that people should be watching the debate with only a week left until the election. The Sopranos is watched by a large amount of people so they pulled it to keep focus on the important programming that night. It's only a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Why wait for the post when you can watch it free online.

Eh... yeah. He's actually getting his cousins to post over tapes of the show. :rolleyes:

Clicked on to the Soprano page and read more than I wanted to about the new episodes. I've purposely avoided reading threads so far and then Bam! RTE hit me with some SPOILERS!

Eh... yeah. He's actually getting his cousins to post over tapes of the show. :rolleyes:

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭gusto

Clicked on to the Soprano page and read more than I wanted to about the new episodes. I've purposely avoided reading threads so far and then Bam! RTE hit me with some SPOILERS!

Same happened to me.

Was really looking forward to this tonight.

Guess I'll have to wait another week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Nine more after the hiatus, according to wikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Lodgepole wrote:
    There is no advertising during the debate. It has nothing to do with ratings and everything to do with the fact that people should be watching the debate with only a week left until the election. The Sopranos is watched by a large amount of people so they pulled it to keep focus on the important programming that night. It's only a week.

It's RTEs payback for the massive increase in the TV licence a whilw back...:mad: :mad:
    If people prefer Tony over Bertie so be it!!!

Just opened my beer and was all set :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

This is SH1T:mad: A huge proportion of people simply dont give a sh1t about the b0ll0x these politicians spouts. Why shouldnt we have a choice of what we watch?

Its not like watching those gobsh1tes makes a difference anyway. Its just a popularity contest based on personalities, does anyone believe anything these fellas say? Do you really think they will carry out the policies they say? This is nothing more than a vanity contest tonight. At least we would have been entertained with the sopranos. I fvcking despise RTE WITH EVERY OUNCE OF MY BODY.:mad: :mad:

Vote for Tony ;)

Babybing wrote:
    This is SH1T:mad: A huge proportion of people simply dont give a sh1t about the b0ll0x these politicians spouts. Why shouldnt we have a choice of what we watch?

Its not like watching those gobsh1tes makes a difference anyway. Its just a popularity contest based on personalities, does anyone believe anything these fellas say? Do you really think they will carry out the policies they say? This is nothing more than a vanity contest tonight. At least we would have been entertained with the sopranos. I fvcking despise RTE WITH EVERY OUNCE OF MY BODY.:mad: :mad:

That made me laugh. Amazing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

V peeved about this, 20 minutes of those politicians plenty for me, heard it all before, planned to switch over at 10pm as I've been looking forward to the new season for ages. What kind of police state do we live in when RTE treat us like children, and decide that it would be better for us to watch that boring debate, atleast there's a bit of passion in the Sopranos. <SNIPPITY-SNIP>

MOD EDIT: Oh... no... you... didn't! I'll consider this a warning - please read the charter regarding asking the forbidden questions!

golfgirl wrote:
    What kind of police state do we live in when RTE treat us like children

Are you for real? It has been delayed by one whole week. Imagine if you were waiting on a UK channel to show it. How long would that be.

The Fool wrote:
    If people prefer Tony over Bertie so be it!!!
    If it was any other program i'd agree, but the debates are of national importance. The Sopranos has a large viewership, I agree wholeheartedly with RTE delaying it for the benefit of their (excellent) election coverage.
    Babybing wrote:
    I fvcking despise RTE WITH EVERY OUNCE OF MY BODY.:mad: :mad:
    That's irrelevant. The election is more important than The Sopranos. You only have to wait a week to watch it. There's more important things to put your vitriol into. Like, you know, the state of the country.
    golfgirl wrote:
    What kind of police state do we live in when RTE treat us like children, and decide that it would be better for us to watch that boring debate, atleast there's a bit of passion in the Sopranos. Could someone please tell me where I can download the new episodes?
    I presume the police state comment was supposed to be funny. They didn't decide it was better for you to watch anything. The decided not to place two programs with large viewership against each other, gave precedence to the one with the higher importance and replaced the other with a popular film as an alternative.

In seven days time you can go make your vote and then head home to watch The Sopranos. It's only a week, it's not like it's the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

golfgirl wrote:
    V peeved about this, 20 minutes of those politicians plenty for me, heard it all before, planned to switch over at 10pm as I've been looking forward to the new season for ages. What kind of police state do we live in when RTE treat us like children, and decide that it would be better for us to watch that boring debate, atleast there's a bit of passion in the Sopranos. Could someone please tell me where I can download the new episodes?
    Have you read the charter?

I refer you to
    Don't ask where you can download/stream TV shows or give any links to them.

Mention it again and it's a ban.

golfgirl wrote:
    Could someone please tell me where I can download the new episodes?

You should read the charter before asking stupid questions like that :rolleyes:

Lodgepole wrote:
    I presume the police state comment was supposed to be funny. They didn't decide it was better for you to watch anything. The decided not to place two programs with large viewership against each other, gave precedence to the one with the higher importance and replaced the other with a popular film as an alternative.

The State broadcaster decided to take away peoples choice of watching Sopranos over election debate (muppet show)... Sounds like a Big Brother act to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

Sorry moderators, havn't been on boards since I discovered broadband downloads and honestly did not realise charter. And I stand by my point that RTE should have continued to run the sopranos tonight. I can read all about the debate tomorrow and listen to Morning Ireland, and I may even nip down now to watch the postmortem. RTE did decide that tonight I should not have the choice of watching the debate or the sopranos. Tell me one thing new that we learned from that debate?

golfgirl wrote:
    Tell me one thing new that we learned from that debate?

Miriam got a new haircut

• Advertisement

Yawn. Watch it next week, or boycott **** RTÉ and watch it on E4 in a few months. See you do have a choice.

The Fool wrote:
    The State broadcaster decided to take away peoples choice of watching Sopranos over election debate (muppet show)... Sounds like a Big Brother act to me
    It might sound like it to you, but you'd be wrong. At worst it was a bad scheduling decision by a televsion station. But it wasn't even that... It was a sensible change to their schedule to allow people access to both the election debate (which regardless of your opinion is important) and The Sopranos. Correct me if i'm wrong, but RTE are still the first broadcaster in Europe to show it, even with the seven day delay.
    golfgirl wrote:
    And I stand by my point that RTE should have continued to run the sopranos tonight. I can read all about the debate tomorrow and listen to Morning Ireland, and I may even nip down now to watch the postmortem. RTE did decide that tonight I should not have the choice of watching the debate or the sopranos. Tell me one thing new that we learned from that debate?
    I can't tell you what you learned from the debate, I don't know you. The function it served was to present the leaders of our two main political parties to everybody in the country and to have them lay their party's election promises out and to answer questions put to them. It has massive value, perhaps not to you, perhaps not to me, but it is of national importance. Important enough that it's not worth losing viewers by showing a massive ratings show like The Sopranos.

I'll say again... It's only a week. Why be so upset?

As soon as RTE threatened to cut the political coverage they got the huge TV Licence increase. Now, not only are we being ripped off they they bump our show to watch this drivil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

After watching the debate tonight, I'm now actually kind of glad that they postponed it for a week even thought I've been waiting for Sopranos for ages. I suppose it did make sense.

Lodgepole wrote:
    It has massive value, perhaps not to you, perhaps not to me, but it is of national importance. Important enough that it's not worth losing viewers by showing a massive ratings show like The Sopranos.

I'll say again... It's only a week. Why be so upset?

Can't we decide ourselves if it's important enough to watch??

You might be, I don't know. Maybe you're already well versed in the issues related to the election. I dare say many people aren't, and they're the people I would hope would tune in to watch it. Splitting the audience straight off the bat doesn't make any sense, is that not fairly clear?

And again... a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭liamdubh

Why don't you download it and watch it?

No ads. HD-TV version available. It's 2007!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

liamdubh wrote:
    Why don't you download it and watch it?

No ads. HD-TV version available. It's 2007!

To paraphrase Walter Sobchak:

This is not Nam! This is Boards, there are rules. Am I the only one who gives a damn about the charter around here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭liamdubh

To paraphrase Walter Sobchak:

This is not Nam! This is Boards, there are rules. Am I the only one who gives a damn about the charter around here?

We're not talking about the nuts and bolts of downloading TV shows. Like "OMFG check out this torrent http://blah.org/torrent12345!!!!!!&quot;

Talking about why you would or wouldn't download illegal movie/tv files is a valid discussion in my view. Maybe the Mods would disagree?

Only six days to wait now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement