Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medicine courses doctors etc etc

Options
  • 14-05-2007 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hello im thinking of doing medicine but didnt get the points, what other ways can i get into it?, i heard that if you do get a degree you can, but what degrees can you do that will get you in, thanks for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Very hard one to find a back door....

Someone I know is doing it in Hungary (sp??), she's smart but doesn't figure she'll get the points and really wants to do medicine, so that shows ya how not easy it is.

Best bet is another country I reckon? At least before the new aptitude testing comes in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

thedan wrote:
    hello im thinking of doing medicine but didnt get the points, what other ways can i get into it?, i heard that if you do get a degree you can, but what degrees can you do that will get you in, thanks for the help

First of all, make absolutely sure Medecine is an area you want to get into.
    It aint glamerous at all, with the Deaths, Long hours stress, being "on call" and physical drain, I still wouldent take it if I was offered a place and I am being deadly serious here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

Hi Dan,

I think I replied to an earlier post of yours regarding medicine.... not sure if it was you though, hmmm:confused:

There are backdoors to medicine.

If you think you can stick out the general nursing degree for the 4 years... then a following 3 years after it? It's the shortest route of all... except if you actually get the points for medicine:D

*Apply to do the BSc. in General Nursing, which is only available in DCU and I think UCD

* Get at least a 2.1 in your degree

* Apply to RCSI for the 3 year course.

This 3year course is only new, it was only introduced 2weeks ago in connolly hosptial blanchardstown.

General Nursing is really tough, I'm a student at the moment, but it's doable.... as long as you don't mind attending to another persons personal hygiene needs...

I agree with the post above, are you sure you really want to be a doctor? It is a really tough job, I see it everyday and I wouldn't fancy it. From talking to other doctors it takes quite a while before you actually make any decent sort of money and you have lots of hard work before you even become a consultant... it's a toughy. Some doctors are working 3 days or more(whole day) in a row, they have to stay in the hospital and rarely do they get sleep because there's always something going on. Think about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Afaik, theres a medicine school being set up in UL for graduates who got 450 in the leaving, have completed an honors science based course, theres an aptitude test..

Honestly though I don't know why anyone would want to be a doctor. If its for the money, by the time you start earning serious bucks you'll be too old to spend it on fun things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

If you do another degree then you can apply to the 4 year Graduate Entry course in RCSI. Obviously a degree related to medicine would help. You'd have to pay fees for the medicine course as well.

Applying abroad is the other option, again you'll have to pay fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

Yeah Im in RCSI at the moment, just beware that the postgrad course is very competitive to get into too, its not as simple as getting a 2:1 and you're in. The first year is all the science and the next years are in connolly.
    It's a very tough course, not so much the material but the volume of information you need to take in and apply, you CANT do it for the money; there isnt that much money compared to many other things and it does take up a lot of your life, money isnt good enough motivation to stick with it... just be sure, although you wont really take anyone who says that seriously until you start! Keeping that in mind, I love it but is very demanding.

As for UL, I'd be wary, its unlikely they'll have a good full functioning medical school for some years even if they so take on students. (ie it takes some years to get an anatomy department up and running fully) and it will have no international reputation for some time, even if there is good teaching.

thedan... didnt get the points? the exams didnt start yet? Im guessing you're not sitting the LC this year?

Yeah Im in RCSI at the moment, just beware that the postgrad course is very competitive to get into too, its not as simple as getting a 2:1 and you're in. The first year is all the science and the next years are in connolly.
    It's a very tough course, not so much the material but the volume of information you need to take in and apply, you CANT do it for the money; there isnt that much money compared to many other things and it does take up a lot of your life, money isnt good enough motivation to stick with it... just be sure, although you wont really take anyone who says that seriously until you start! Keeping that in mind, I love it but is very demanding.

As for UL, I'd be wary, its unlikely they'll have a good full functioning medical school for some years even if they so take on students. (ie it takes some years to get an anatomy department up and running fully) and it will have no international reputation for some time, even if there is good teaching.

thedan... didnt get the points? the exams didnt start yet? Im guessing you're not sitting the LC this year?

8 o' clock starts too. No thanks, heh.

7 o'clock in the later years for ward rounds... can wait for it :D

blow that for a game of doctors

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

7 o'clock in the later years for ward rounds... can wait for it :D

Oh lovely, 7am! Wouldn't fancy being a doctor, you guys have it tough- the amount of responsibility too, the consultants can be so hard on the med students and interns too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

cson wrote:
    Honestly though I don't know why anyone would want to be a doctor. If its for the money, by the time you start earning serious bucks you'll be too old to spend it on fun things.

Same here, last thing I'd put on the aul CAO myself. Stuff like neuroscience would come ahead though.

Its more or less the same with all the 'traditional' professions, medicine, law, accountancy, you're someones bitch for about 10 years. You effectively get rode for about 10 or so years after ya qualify doing others (who are higher up the chain) work.

After those 10 years you get to do the riding. Then you'll earn a tidy sum. Pity you'll be nearly 40 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

cson wrote:
    Its more or less the same with all the 'traditional' professions, medicine, law, accountancy, you're someones bitch for about 10 years. You effectively get rode for about 10 or so years after ya qualify doing others (who are higher up the chain) work.

After those 10 years you get to do the riding. Then you'll earn a tidy sum. Pity you'll be nearly 40 though.

I think someones a little jealous?

Jealous? An explanation is warranted there anyway. What I've posted is more or less the truth. Actually fcuk it, you go study for medicine/law/accounting and come back to me and tell me if its any different. For the purpose of research of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

lol, ZorbaTehZ how could he be jealous? I'm sure if he aimed for one of these courses he'd get it (like most people). Jealous is definately not the right word.

Actually I've one of the said professions down first choice on the CAO, law as it happens. So I know what im in for.

And nothing, nothing you ever say Zorbatehz will change cson's cynical view of the world. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

By your logic, you are going to be someones bitch for the next 10 years. Enjoy. :p

Indeed I am. Its just as well I ordered all those crates of fairy liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

There's medical schools in Charles University, Prague, Budapest, Gdansk, and in Grand Cayman (I think) that will accept students who have lots and lots of money (about 10k euro per year + living costs). There are exams and interviews, although rumour has it they're not the worst.

The British also have graduate programmes-I think the University of Liverpool and Uni of Newcastle have large programmes, off the top of my head, but that's supposedly even harder to get into than undergrad, which is very competitive.

Graduate courses in general are very difficult to get into as you can have far more people of different ages applying for fewer places.

As for Chales university etc. you have to appreciate that while it may be a good place o get your medical degree, apparently they dont help you to get intership places which means you could end up in limbo with a medical degree but not regestered by any medical council.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

cson wrote:
    Jealous? An explanation is warranted there anyway. What I've posted is more or less the truth. Actually fcuk it, you go study for medicine/law/accounting and come back to me and tell me if its any different. For the purpose of research of course.

The man speaketh the truth. I'm in third year law and a career in the legal profession is certainly like that. I laugh at all the leaving cert kiddies with law on their CAO think they'll walk into partnership in a Big 5 law firm straight out of college. :rolleyes:

Advertisement