Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medicine course ?!?

Options
  • 14-05-2007 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hello im thinking of doing medicine but didnt get the points, what other ways can i get into it?, i heard that if you do get a degree you can, but what degrees can you do that will get you in, thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

You can get in through graduate entry with any degree as long as you get honours or you could go to Poland,Russia or Romania by applying through one of the various agencies which looks for foreign students but that will cost you €35k plus living expenses.

You could try nursing, there you have a career in medicine(and all the bloody/crappy adult nappies you could ever want) which if you wanted could again make you eligible for graduate entry here or let you study for another two years is the US to become a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 thedan

thanks for the info, can I ask which would be the fastest degree I could do?,how long it would be? and what would be the most revelent course I could do, close to medicine? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Fastest degree would be any three-year degree, the trouble is that the relevant-to-medicine ones - which would be science-related ones - will tend to take at least four years. Pharmacology, chemistry, biomedical science, biochemistry, biology, neuroscience, radiation therapy, physiotherapy, anything like that would be pretty relevant.

You might as well do a degree you like rather than one just for the sake of getting into medicine several years later, especially as you'll need to do well in it in order to be eligible for graduate entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

Hi there... There IS a way and it's only fairly recent :D

I'm a student nurse in Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown and there was a new "pathway" put in place for people who maybe didn't get enough points or for nurses who maybe want to continue there education in pursuit of becoming a doctor.

How to do it:

1. Apply for a BSc. in General Nursing in DCU

2. Complete the BSc. in general nursing

3. Get at least a 2.1 in the BSc.

4. Then apply for the medicine in RCSI (it's a 3year course, hope to holy sweet jebus that you get it as I think there are only a small number of places. Not to sure, you could find out:)

You can also go into medicine after you complete a degree but this takes longer as you would have to complete another 5 extra years after you've already done a degree. Oh and the degree has to be a BSc.- (Bachelor of Science), not a BA or anything else.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Call me crazy but.. whats the point doing a 4 year Bsc degree, having to study your ass off to get a 1.1 and even then you only have a small chance of getting into the graduate program, competing with all the other degree holders for a small number of places.

Would it not be easier just to repeat the LC (1 year) and work your ass off, 24/7 study with 6 subjects you choose to get the 580 points or whatever it is these days?? I mean, even if you repeat the Leaving cert 3 times, (having sat it a total of 4 times), you would still get in quicker than completing a degree first. I just don't see the logic sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bleh1234

Hi there... There IS a way and it's only fairly recent :D

I'm a student nurse in Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown and there was a new "pathway" put in place for people who maybe didn't get enough points or for nurses who maybe want to continue there education in pursuit of becoming a doctor.

How to do it:

1. Apply for a BSc. in General Nursing in DCU

2. Complete the BSc. in general nursing

3. Get at least a 2.1 in the BSc.

4. Then apply for the medicine in RCSI (it's a 3year course, hope to holy sweet jebus that you get it as I think there are only a small number of places. Not to sure, you could find out:)

You can also go into medicine after you complete a degree but this takes longer as you would have to complete another 5 extra years after you've already done a degree. Oh and the degree has to be a BSc.- (Bachelor of Science), not a BA or anything else.

Hope that helps!

I presume it is this you are referring to I'd ask you to get your facts straight before you spread this all over the boards.

This is open to all graduates from any discipline you do not have to do BSc

Taken from the RCSI website
    Basic Eligibility

Applicants to the course must fulfil the following criteria:

(i) Have an Honours Bachelor Degree in any discipline at a minimum academic level of a 2.2 or above.

(ii) Achieve a competitive GAMSAT or MCAT.

EU MMP Applicants

EU graduate applicants will be selected for admission to the Graduate Entry Programme on the basis of open competition using three criteria;

1. Competitive GAMSAT results

2. Basic Eligibility (academic degree)

3. Confidential references and life experiences (work life balance, extra curricular activities, relevant work/ voluntary experience etc.)

Candidates will be scored on sections 1, 2 and 3.

85% of weighting will apply to section 1

15% of weighting will apply to section 2 and 3 combined

It's a four year course accepting 40 students. the final three years are based in Connolly hospital that may be where you are getting your information from. The course has already started in Sept 2006.

Advertisement