Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA U-19 Elite Qualifiers

• 14-05-2007 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone going to any of these games? I'll hopefully make the Germany match on Wednesday.

Monday 14/05/07:
    Hungary 0-0 Germany, The Carlisle Grounds Bray 2.30 p.m
    Rep. of Ireland v Bulgaria, United Park Drogheda 7.00 p.m.

Wednesday 16/05/07:
    Hungary v Bulgaria, Belfield Park 2.30 p.m.
    Germany v Rep. of Ireland, Dalymount Park 7.00 p.m.

Saturday, 19/05/07:
    Rep. of Ireland v Hungary, United Park Drogheda 7.00 p.m.
    Bulgaria v Germany, Belfield Park 7.00 p.m.

The early game was a nice starter, 0-0 draw.

Ireland's team vs Bulgaria which kicks off in half an hour:
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2029

Henderson
    Lowry---Nolan---Spillane---Davies
    Ryan----Power---Bayly
    Judge
    Stokes---Rooney

Player Profiles:
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2028&Itemid=9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Haverty off Pats called into the squad upgraded from 17/18s only home based player in the squad.

Should get to the Dalymount game.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

3 nil, 20 minutes gone.

Guess Bulgaria not using their "gamesmanship" :eek:

kdjac

Rooney got the first 2 according to Aertel.

• Advertisement

Hatrick in 16 minutes.

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Glad to see Bayly starting in midfield. I expect him to break into the Leeds first team squad next season.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Glad to see Bayly starting in midfield. I expect him to break into the Leeds first team squad next season.
    FAI site full of praise for him:
    " "Boca", as he is known, is the modern day midfielder possessing vision, range of passing and fits the bill of box to box player. The former Cherry Orchard player is a regular in the Leeds United reserves and made his full First Team debut in the last match of the season against Derby County after making one substitute appearance earlier in the campaign. The dynamic and competitive Bayly is the talisman of the Irish side."

He got sent off for Leeds last week didn't he?

Rooney has some record at this level. Very suprising that he hasn't been playing much for Stoke.

FAI Half time report.
    Half-time score-line:
    Republic of Ireland 3 – 0 Bulgaria
    Rooney 3, 6, 16

Adam Rooney enhanced his incredible scoring record at international level by netting a first half hat-trick to give Ireland a 3-0 advantage at the break. The Stoke City striker has now notched 19 goals in 19 games over the past two years.
    Ireland have completely dominated the first-half with Rooney the star performer so far with a superb display of clinical finishing.
    A victory for Ireland tonight will lift them to the top of the qualification table after the other two group opponents, Germany and Hungary, played out a scoreless draw at the Carlisle Grounds in Bray this afternoon.
    Only the winners only of the mini-group will progress to the finals of the UEFA U19 Championships in Austria during July.
    Rooney opened the scoring after only three minutes when he tapped home at the back post Bulgaria defender good build-up play by Anthony Stokes on the left-side.
    Ireland were awarded a penalty two minutes later when Stokes was fouled and although Robert Bayly’s penalty was stopped by goalkeeper Mihaylov, Rooney followed up to volley into the net from eight yards.
    His hat-trick goal was the most impressive of the trio. Striker partner Stokes stepped over Jimmy Ryan’s pass to the edge of the area where Rooney was lurking and he swivelled before drilling a low shot into the bottom left corner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

eirebhoy wrote:
    He got sent off for Leeds last week didn't he?

He did alright but it was a strange one. I forget which Derby player is was but he was winding up big time and Bayly went to hit but missed. He was sent off for intent but even the Derby manager Billy Davies was giving out to the derby player for winding Bayly up and he was telling the ref not to send him off. By all accounts he was doing ok up to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I might get up to the game on Wednesday. Hopefully Spillane will get a start, anyone know if he's playing tonight?

edit: yeah he did. just read it

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0514/under19.html

Keeper subbed and bayly suspended for next game......Step forward Haverty :D

kdjac

I'm going along to this tonight. Hungary and Bulgaria drew 1-1 so a win tonight and Ireland qualify for the Finals.

Same team as Monday's with Keith Treacy replacing Bayly.

1-0 Germany who had 2 players sent off.

kdjac

I missed the first 20 minutes but Germany hardly tested Henderson the entire time I was there. The Eircom motm went to the German keeper which says it all. Ireland weren't that impressive though tbh. They had 45 minutes to beat 10 men and couldn't do it. I think Stokes' chance in the 2nd half might have been the best, riggled his way past a few players but his shot was superbly saved.

Alan Power is an out and out holding midfielder. He spent half the match playing along the defensive line. Gives everything off the ball and orders his teammates about. Ryan partnered him in the centre and the creative player of the 2. Treacy looked good on the left wing in the 25 minutes I saw of him. No 7, Judge I think, wasted the ball a lot in good positions. The no. 6, centre half, looks a good player. Rooney showed some nice touches. Stokes gave it away a bit but was probably one of the more effective players with 3 or 4 shots on goals and won a few corners. Sheridan looked very good in his first 10 minutes on the pitch, getting a player sent off.

Advertisement