Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best exchange rate - €165k to US Dollars?

Options
  • 14-05-2007 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

I need to change around €165,000 to US dollars. I had a quick talk with BOI and they said they give a better exchange rate the more you want to change.

Just want to know who gives the best exchange rate for this amount

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You will need to give your local BOI a call. They will in turn give Global Markets a call, and one of the dealers will "book a rate". Its hard to say "exactly" what rate they will give because it all depends on the position of the market at the time.

If you want to give BOIGM a call yourself, all the relivant numbers are here - http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/capital_markets/contact/index.html#doclink2

The USD Money Market Desk would be the one to call - 01 7993100

However you will still have to go into the bank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I used XEtrade a few years back to exchange several thousand dollars to Euro and found them to be by the cheapest at the time (you can book the rate yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

stepbar wrote:
    You will need to give your local BOI a call. They will in turn give Global Markets a call, and one of the dealers will "book a rate". Its hard to say "exactly" what rate they will give because it all depends on the position of the market at the time.

If you want to give BOIGM a call yourself, all the relivant numbers are here - http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/capital_markets/contact/index.html#doclink2

The USD Money Market Desk would be the one to call - 01 7993100

However you will still have to go into the bank :)

I'd give other banks a call too, just to check you are getting best deal......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Never said he shouldn't.... Maybe you could advise the OP where to go in any event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

search on askaboutmoney.com

I know I have read of some irish lads with experience doing this with large sums and they saved a packet by avoiding the irish banks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

stepbar wrote:
    Never said he shouldn't.... Maybe you could advise the OP where to go in any event?

Well tbh I don't have a whole lot of personal experience in exchanging $165k in cash but I'm sure if he calls all the major banks he will find some variance in rates/charges etc. and might save himself some money....

Advertisement