Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate Floor Trim

Options
  • 14-05-2007 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've laid laminate floors a few times and each time I have used a trim around the walls to cover the expansion gap as taking off the skirting boards is too much hassle.

The floors look fine except where the lengths of trim meet in the corners of the rooms. I just can't get them cut properly so that they line up well. The trims are plastic and are quite flexible so it is hard to cut them straight or smoothly. I have tried hand saws and a mitre saw but there is little difference in the results.

The B&Q website suggests a trim cutter. But the only trim cutter on their site is for tile trims. Would this work?

Can anyone recommend a better way of cutting them?

Or an alternative to the trim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When I had mine done a few years ago, they used the same kind of trim and used a gadget that looked a bit like a pair of garden secateurs with a small mitre 'thingy' attached to get the right angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Yeah, that's a bit like the tile trim cutter from B&Q.

Guess I'll just look out for one of those so!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

I use a fine hacksaw and one of the tiny mitre boxes you can get for bath seals...they cost about €3 and in most hardware stores on the Sealux stand.
    Gives a good result as the trim is easier to hold.

Advertisement