Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web connectio issues with BT

Options
  • 14-05-2007 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I am on BT broadband, and are currently having really weird issues. I can get to some web sites (boards.ie and google.ie) but not to most places.

And I can ping the sites, but not load them through firefox of IE.

Im on hold for support, but they close at 9 (who would use the internet after 9!?!), and I am willing to bet I wont get through.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Monkeyshine

Same issues here. In the middle of running virus scans in desparation. Can't get onto my msn either, Really strange one. Hope they resolve it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jhop

msn doesnt work, but skype does!

I have found that a bit, I think skype use ip addresses directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lost_lad

Thank god i can blame BT again!
    Installed Ubuntu last week and
    I was playing with my firewall and thought i arsed it and couldn't revert! - easily!
    They suck i'm supposed to have 2meg down rang them at weekend when i couldn't connect to web again (its fairly constant - me thinks seriously high contention) guy said i'm only rated for 1 meg i asked how long this was going on and he said "always"!?! Asked about a refund and he didn't know what i as talking about! I'm moving in a couple of weeks otherwise I would have switched much sooner + I could not handle another 6 month contract! let alone the hassle of changing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Monkeyshine

Lost_lad , I was incorrectly given the wrong speed connection for about 3 months. They were alright about refunding me the extra money I was owed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lost_lad

Sorry meant to also say "but i get 200KB down quite regulalry or i would have complained sooner" The refund was just chancing my arm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

BT seem to have gotten another block of IP addresses in the range:
    78.26.0.0/14

They seem to have forgotten to configure there routers properly, because some of the addresses in this range, near the upper half, dont route at all, and even though you will be otherwise connected to the internet, TCP services dont seem to work. I thought BT's DNS was having issues when I couldnt access the internet this morning, power-cycled my router and it made no difference, that is when I noticed the new IP block. I power-cycled again and got an address on their regular block (212.202.x.x) and I was then able to access the internet again.

Came home from work, same problem as before, but, some of the addresses in this block seem to work, as I have one of them now.

If you are having internet connection issues, try power-cycling your modem to get a different address, you should eventually get one that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

im also with bt....****!n bast@rds!! om so pissed off with them now! im paying 45e a month for this....not anymore i can tell you!!

So how do i go about fixing their problem?! Power cycling??how do i do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

sarahn11 wrote:
    Power cycling??how do i do that?
    Switch the modem off, then back on again.:D Seriously.

Could also be one of their regular DNS failures.
    Try the OpenDNS settings in your network connection:
    Primary DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS Server: 208.67.220.220

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I'm using OpenDNS and I'm experiencing these issues too on BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

Same issue in Cork.Some sites work,some dont.It is a s**t service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

ieverything is working well now here...but im really angry with BT now.

i didnt have broadband for nearly 2 months and i kept ringing them daily and they kept saying there was nothing wrong! Eventually they send an eingineer out and there was a problem with the exchange....not even an apology did i get!! a letter to their customer services dept threatening legal action finally got me a refund for the two months i didnt have broadband....

What a jip!

Im moving shortly...and i can safelt say BT wont be coming with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

No issues with BT at all in the last 3 years! I remember it was down ONCE for about 12 hours, jesus, I could only sing their praises!

Amazing how some people have rough experiences with big companies and some have no problems at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Same here, had BT for a couple of years now and I don't think it's ever been down. Well, at least nothing that couldn't be sorted by switiching the modem on and off again!

Advertisement