Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Offical Liverpool - Milan Champions League Final Thread (before during & afters)

• 14-05-2007 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Its still 9 days to go but what the heck.

The Liverpool squad that takes to the pitch in Athens will be a better balanced one than 2 years back and a more cohesive unit as well. Two more years under Rafa Benitez has them nicely drilled when it comes to a must-win game.

Milan are for the most part two years older but still with a first 11 that is more talented than Liverpool, however if talent was all you needed they'd have won the Instanbul final at a canter. As there is still a week before kick-off something might yet happen to swing the advantage one way or the other. However if everyone is fit and ready then I'd like the Pool starting 11 to look as follows.

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Agger-Riise
    Pennant-Alonso-Masch-Kewell
    Gerrard
    Crouch

Subs: Dudek, Sissoko, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Bellamy, Kuyt, Zenden.

Yes I know Kewell is starting but I'm flexible on this. He won't be able to play 120 mins or even 90 proberly but I think its important to get the team off to a flyer and he with Pennant on the right and Gerrard pushing out of MF would hopefully give Milans backline plenty of trouble while Alonso and Masch keep things tidy ahead of the back four. When Harry is finished Arbeloa can move into defence and Riise into the wide postion or Zenden to pack MF if things are going particularly well (!). There are clearly some alternative formations/selections that have merit but this is what I'd like to see.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Nice team but i suspect Rafa is gonna pack the midfield to combat Milan's narrow diamond with a bigger diamond midfield of his own :)

So that will mean Zenden plus Kuyt dropping deep:

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Agger - Riise
    Alonso
    Gerrard --- Masch --- Zenden
    Kuyt

Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I got all nostalgic this morning and read through the actual match pages of the Final Thread from 2 years ago. Good stuff! Really in the mood now.

Starting wise, I'd go with;

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Agger--Riise
    Alonso--Masch
    Pennant
    Gerrard
    Crouch---Kuyt

Pennant has to start, though i worry a bit about him trying to cover seedorf's side of the pitch, he's not usually very strong in defence, gets pushed off very easily.

Im going for Gerrard on the left because i feel the weak link in Milans defence is Oddo. He's very good going forward, but not quite so solid defensively as the rest of Milans backline - should be exploited and i could see gerrard doing that better then Zenden (dont see kewell starting this one - def impact sub though). Gerrard also would be right up for tackling Kaka on his side of the pitch.

1 forward might be playing into Milans hands, as their defence will smother a lone striker. Kuyt playing in and around the box might be a handful though, with crouch coming a little deeper to win the first ball, hold up play and provide flick ons.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Sissoko start instead of maybe Mascherano, though id stick with alonso and masch myself i think. Another possible impact sub for Rafa.

Bellers and Robbie are great options to have on the bench as well, bellers pace late in the game could be vital.

All that being said, this is Rafa, so what odds we end up with something like;
    BACKFOUR
    Arbeloa--Gerrard--Mascherano--kewell
    Bellamy--Crouch/Kuyt/Fowler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Here is what I think he will do.

Renia
    Finnan Carra Agger Riise
    Gerrard Alonso Masch Kewell
    Kuyt Crouch

We will have to see what he does decide to do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I still have a sneaky suspicion his team will be something like this:

Renia
    --Finnan--Carra--Agger--Riise-
    Sissoko--Mascherano----
    -Gerrard----Alonso
    Kewell-
    Kuyt

Well, I that will be the structure, a kinda 4-2-3-1, but Kewell and Kuyt might be somebody different.

I think if only one of Sissoko/Mascherano plays, Riise will be on the left wing to make the team more defensive.

Carlo is trying to dictate who Liverpool play:

"When Steven Gerrard is in the middle, Liverpool are less solid in the centre of midfield," he told the Italian press following Milan's 1-1 draw with Catania.

"But when he goes wide and Xabi Alonso is in the centre, then they are more protected.

"I would prefer to face the first option.

"We know the way Liverpool play very well, and they can say the same about us."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

PHB wrote:
    I still have a sneaky suspicion his team will be something like this:

Renia
    Sissoko--Mascherano----
    -Gerrard----Alonso
    Kewell-
    Kuyt

Well, I that will be the structure, a kinda 4-2-3-1, but Kewell and Kuyt might be somebody different.

I think if only one of Sissoko/Mascherano plays, Riise will be on the left wing to make the team more defensive.

Carlo is trying to dictate who Liverpool play:

yay, I have soccer forum access...

Sissoko, Mascherano, Gerrard and Alonso, all on the same team? I'd be surprised, could it work? looks interesting though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I reckon he has to play Bellamy I dont want him to but we need someone fast to run at the ageing legs.

i was thinking about bellamy as well, his oace would be handy, but he's really not been in great form at all, i could see the milan defence keeping him in their pocket. Top form bellamy, definately without a doubt, but i dunno about him at the moment..i suppose Rafa knows best from how he's been in training. Hasn't been very effective in the last few prem games he's played against pretty weak defences though..Id like to see us go out with 2 strikers though, ideally Kuyt and Crouchy for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Id go with this

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Agger--Riise
    Alonso--Masch
    Pennant
    Gerrard
    Crouch---Kuyt

aye, great minds think alike ;)

god i wish i was putting more effort into studying tonight for an exam in the morning then second guessing Rafa's tactics for a match a week away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There isn't a chance in hell that Kewell will start, I would say he probably won't even make the bench.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Agger--Arbeloa
    Alonso--Masch---
    Gerrard
    Riise
    Crouch----Kuyt

I don't think Rafa would miss the chance to use Crouch against AC. He will unsettle their defence, cause a lot of confusion.

The only position I'm not really sure of is the left side. Riise will play, but will it be left back or wing. Zenden and Gonzalez both vyting for the left wing position, but Riise has been the most effective there this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Harry Kewell ?? WTF ??

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote:

Renia
    Sissoko--Mascherano----
    -Gerrard----Alonso
    Kewell-
    Kuyt

Yeah said this after we qualified for the final... I think the midfield trio will be capable of keeping Milan's midfield in check for long periods of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yeah, the countdown to the CL final is on, although somehow I myself am not quite in the 'mood' yet. The 'fever' hasnt really hit me yet, but no doubt it will over the next few days and as the big final day approaches ever more closely.

I am at times half afraid to think what Rafa might do with his selection. He keeps everyone of us guessing at times, no more so than the Zenden selection in the 1st leg of the semi-final and his re-selection in the 2nd leg, when it was clear to one and all that it didnt work. I try to figure out what is going on in his mind and with that selection it seemed to be safety first, and experience.

So, what he will do is open to a lot of speculation. I will come back with some options later on in this thread. But one thing is clear, the selection and personnel chosen to fill certain roles will have a big bearing on the match. Rafa may also be thinking of winning 'ugly', and he has no qualms with that. Ironically, the Liverpool players are as much in the dark with the selection as us football followers are ... that is just Rafa's style and approach.

I caught a bit of that CL magazine programme on TV, and that is a nice warmer upper.

More later .....

Redspider

ps: wb Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    There isn't a chance in hell that Kewell will start, I would say he probably won't even make the bench.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Agger--Arbeloa
    Alonso--Masch---
    Gerrard
    Riise
    Crouch----Kuyt

I don't think Rafa would miss the chance to use Crouch against AC. He will unsettle their defence, cause a lot of confusion.

The only position I'm not really sure of is the left side. Riise will play, but will it be left back or wing. Zenden and Gonzalez both vyting for the left wing position, but Riise has been the most effective there this season.

I personally agree with the above team. I think there is a greater advantage to having Riise on the wing than at left back - and arbeloa is more than adequate in that position anyway.

I think we need to be solid first - and the above formation would provide a strong midfield without having any defensive worries on the flanks. Pennant, Kewell (if he is named as a sub), Gonzalez and the likes should be kept as options to throw on later in the match when we need to change things.

The above lineup would be difficult to break down and should still be able to fashion a few chances (Gerrard and Riise can make things happen up the other end of the pitch of course).

Will have to see though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Kewell had a very good game against Charlton. Just seen the highlights. I reckon the crossbar is still shaking after that strike.

Benitez more or less confirms that Kewell wont be starting but if he has a good training week he will be considered for a bench slot:
    Rafa Benitez admits Harry Kewell has handed him a selection headache ahead of the Champions League final in Athens.
    An impressive cameo against Charlton in only his second appearance of the season has led to calls for the Aussie winger to be given a role in Athens.

A lack of match fitness could prevent Kewell starting on May 23, though Benitez is refusing to rule it out.

He said: "We could see against Charlton how fantastic Harry can be. You could see him trying to beat players, keeping possession and working really hard.

"He set up one goal and scored the penalty. We will now have a week of training, it is not easy to say anything for sure about him now.

"We have several players who were not involved against Charlton. We will just have to see how they train over the next week, but yes, someone is going to be left out.

"We need to see Harry during our training camp. Physically the tests are good but he will not have the right tempo for a game, we could not use him for a long time because he is not ready.

"It will be difficult for him to play from the beginning of the match, but if he improves a lot this week at the training camp, maybe we can consider possibilities.

"He may well be an option for me to use him from the bench but not from the start, I think maybe he could do it for 60 minutes."

I'm in tow minds as to whether having him there is good luck or bad luck. My head is telling me thath even if he came on, it would not be a happy ending somehow .....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

redspider wrote:
    I'm in tow minds as to whether having him there is good luck or bad luck. My head is telling me thath even if he came on, it would not be a happy ending somehow .....

Redspider

Sure didn't we win the last two finals he started[1]. Bring him along as a good luck charm ;) Seriously though I do think he can have a part to play but he won't start the game (as Rafa has more of less confirmed). He'd be a good option to bring on when fresh legs are needed and I do reckon he's be out to try prove a point

1. Pretty sure he featured in the World club championship waste of time thingy in Japan so maybe we've only won 2/3 of the last finals he started.

Jamie's in the mood ......
    Jamie Carragher believes Liverpool's Istanbul experience will be a key factor in their bid to win the club's sixth European Cup. The vice captain admits he and his teammates may have been in awe of the occasion during the opening 45 minutes back in 2005.

The Reds paid the price by going in 3-0 down at the break, but Carragher insists lessons have been learned and believes the precedent of coming back from the dead will be a psychological advantage should AC Milan once again score first.

"When we played AC Milan in 2005, everything about the game was new to us really," said Carragher.

"We'd played in big games before, but that was obviously the biggest of all our careers. There's a long build-up before the final, but it's always useful when you've been through it all once before.

"If you're not careful the occasion can just pass you by, and in the first half two years ago there was a possibility of that happening. This time nothing can take us by surprise.

"Everything we went through can only help us, and even the fact we're playing a side we know a lot about can be an advantage to ourselves as well as Milan.

"After what happened in Istanbul, we also know if the worst comes to the worst and we go a goal down, or even 2-0 down, no-one will think the game is over. What happened in the last game is sure to be in everyone's mind no matter what the situation.

"We know what can happen in a final, although obviously we'd prefer to get our noses in front this time. We definitely don't want to make things as difficult for ourselves."

I think he's right. This time Liverpool does have a better psychological advantage. And Milan know that no matter what they do, Liverpool can come back at them.

The key for me in this match is Kaka and how Liverpool marshall him. I think that it will be a job for Alonso and Mascherano, most likely the latter and that gives it a nice Argentina v Brazil overtone as well and the rivalry that brings to the fore. Mascherano wont need any motivation at all.

Good words from Carra ... I like listening to him, and he motivates the troops and the team nicely .....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i think the team will be as follows
    reina
    finnan carra agger arbeloa

mascherano alonso
    gerrard riise

crouch kuyt

then again this being Rafa who knows what surprise he might spring,maybe a 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1

is dudek fit enough for the bench,i know he missed the last game due to injury

I don't know about that, I think if Milan go 3-0 up by half time, I think Liverpool have like a 1 in a million chance of getting back into it.
    That said, one in a millions do happen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yes, I believe that Terry Pratchett states in one of his many books that 1 in a million chances come off once in every hundred :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Milan won't get 3-0 up by halftime. No way Jose.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Going to be very interesting to see how Rafa deals with Kaka. Mascherano springs to mind, but as Kaka is playing as a support striker he could give the job to Agger with Mascherano looking after Pirlo.

Also will be interesting to see which two guys don't make the matchday squad. Two of the following have to miss out:

Pennant, Kewell, Sissoko, Bellamy, Zenden, Fowler, Gonzalez.

In the first leg against PSV, Sissoko and Fowler were omitted.
    In the first leg against Chelsea, it was Fowler who lost out.
    In the second leg against Chelsea, Fowler was on the bench and Sissoko was omitted.

I can't remember whether Momo was injured in those two instances (I dont remember him being injured), but I hadnt realised he hadnt made the matchday squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I can see gonzalez and momo missing out from that lot. Rafa seems to have cooled on Momo with Mascherano coming in and buying a young central all action mid was a surprsise.

Rafa loves Kewell and has hinted Fowler may get his chance from the bench. Mind you he can be lethally ojective about these things and have no room for Robbie

Heres what I think he will go with

Reina

Finnan Carra Agger Riise

Penant Mascherano Alonso Kewell

Gerrard

Kuyt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mike65 wrote:
    Milan won't get 3-0 up by halftime. No way Jose.

Mike.

i'll be happy if thats the full time score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Actually what happens the 3rd qualifying round if Liverpool win? they get in automatically right?

Actually what happens the 3rd qualifying round if Liverpool win? they get in automatically right?

If Liverpool win they qualify automatically and Chelsea get knocked down a spot so would have to go through qualifying round.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

zing wrote:
    If Liverpool win they qualify automatically and Chelsea get knocked down a spot so would have to go through qualifying round.

haha, that would be so funny. Funnier if there was any decent opposition in the qualifiers but all the same..

TBH I think Rafa is going to try squeeze the life out of Milan in the centre. 2 years ago that wouldn't have worked so well with Sheva and Crespo but I don't see the same threat from crosses this year from Milan.

I'd expect something along the lines of

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Agger - Riise
    Alonso
    Gerrard --- Masch --- Zenden
    Kuyt

Crouch

With that team, it's not going to be pretty. But if it gets the job done, who cares

Stevie G's in the mood too ....
    Did you ever imagine you'd be in a Champions League final so soon after Istanbul?

No, to be honest. Getting to the final twice in three seasons is a fantastic achievement and you have to give credit to the manager for the squad he's built. This team and squad is suited to playing in Europe at the moment. Hopefully next year we can take the next step and do better in the league.

Is this squad a better one than that which played in Istanbul two years ago?

We'll be better prepared this time around because we have a lot of players who played in 2005 and they'll be able to take that experience with them to Athens. The manager has bought some good players since 2005 so I think the squad is stronger and the starting eleven will be better than the one that started last time. I think AC Milan can also say the same thing because watching them against Manchester United, they looked a really strong side. This is a completely different game from two years ago and what happened back then won't have any impact at all.

How hungry are you to win this trophy again?

As a player you want to win as many trophies as possible and the Champions League is the biggest. That night in Istanbul was the best night of my footballing life so far and I want to match that in Athens. Whether it's a boring 1-0 win or another exciting final, it doesn't matter. We just want to win.

You've won finals the hard way too many times of late – you won't make us go through it again will you?

I don't think I could go through it again! I don't think it will be a similar game this time. It will be a lot tighter because both defences will take the experience of Istanbul into the game with them. It will be settled on small details, maybe just the one goal or a set piece. It will be cat and mouse for the majority of the match.

Milan will be up for this final – how ready are you for what they'll throw at you?

We're aware they'll be hurting from 2005 but we have time to prepare for the game, we'll watch a lot of videos and we'll spend a lot of time on the training ground making sure our tactics are spot on. We've got a really hungry group of players who want this trophy as much as the Milan players, so I think we're in for an exciting game.

The Milan players have been talking – are they doing the team talk for you?

I'm not going to react to what's been said. When there's a big game around the corner you are always going to get stuff in the media from people saying different things, but we're not interested in what Milan are saying or in what they're going to do. All we are interested in is making sure we do the right things on the training ground and preparing properly so we can have no excuses on the night.

Have you spoken about penalties yet, bearing in mind what happened in 2005?

By the time it comes around we'll have worked on everything, whether it's in defence, attack, set-pieces or penalties. You name it, we'll have worked on it. We will be 100 per cent prepared and we will make sure we are ready for penalties if they come around because that's what football is like these days.

Because of the ticket allocation, how disappointed are you there might not be as many of your fans inside the stadium as there were in Istanbul?

Being a local lad and with having a lot of Liverpool fans in my family, of course I feel for those supporters who can't get tickets. What I do know is that our support inside the stadium on the night will be miles and miles better than what Milan have because we have the best fans in the world.

How do you assess the midfield battle and is Kaka the man you've got to watch?

You have to look at Kaka as one of their most dangerous players because he scores a lot of goals and has a lot of assists. You have to show a lot of respect to him but their whole team is covered in world class players and players who have won the World Cup. They have a lot of experience in this competition and we'll show them a lot of respect because we know how good they are. But in a one-off game we have shown this season that we can beat anybody.

If Liverpool had been 3-0 up at half time two years ago and gone on to lose, what would your mindset be going into this game?

If that had happened to us I would have thought the game was over at half time. That's the way football goes though sometimes and I'm sure Milan will have learned from that. If they go a goal up against us they will still show us a lot of respect, but if we do fall behind we're not down and out because we have shown in the past that we have the character to cope with any situation. Milan have to be very careful with us because we are a dangerous team.

Whenever you have quiet moment at home do you ever watch the game from Istanbul again?

I went through all the different emotions that you can go through in the space of 120 minutes that night. I've watched the highlights, listened to the commentary and looked at the pictures many times since then and they do bring the memories flooding back. As I said earlier though, that's in the past now and I want to experience it again. I'm as hungry to win this time as I was back then. When I look back on my career it will be unbelievable to reflect on more than one European Cup. That's the plan.

What will your role be to the other players on the night of the game?

I'm not very superstitious but we will have a good chat in the changing room before kick off to make sure no-one touches the trophy on their way out. People do say it's bad luck so you don't want any excuses after the game. This isn't about superstitions though – it's about two fantastic teams chasing a fantastic piece of silverware and whoever plays the best on the night will win it.

What have you learnt from 2005?

We have learnt an awful lot. In the first half we were cut open and weren't compact as a team. We've learnt our lessons from what happened in that first half and so in Athens the idea will be to keep things tight early on and try to score the first goal. There's still a while to go before the game and to be honest I wish it was today or tomorrow. The waiting for it to come around is a nightmare. If we do go on and win it then the players here who weren't in Istanbul can look forward to the best couple of days of their lives.

How bright do you think the future is looking at Liverpool?

It looks excellent. Rafa has said he's staying and wants to keep the big players on long-term deals, he's signing good young players, we've got the financial backing off the pitch and the new stadium is around the corner, so it's a great club to be at and everybody's happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

im bricking myself about the game, but im slightly confident, if that makes sense, were stronger defensively than two years and i think Rafas starting eleven will be more solid from the start than two years ago. Im going to have to watch this in a room on my own id say it will be that close of a game!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Winning formation....

dida

Oddo--Nesta--Maldini--Janku
    Pirlo

Gattauso
    Ambrosini
    Seedorf

kaka

Inzaghi

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

zing wrote:
    I don't believe this is the case, but I am on occasion known to be wrong.

Currently there are 15 'reserved' spots by countries plus the winners. If the winners have already got a reserved spot via their league finish the next place goes to the champions of the country that is 10th on the seeding list. If the winner does not automatically get through via their league seeding, then nothing changes, and in this case either 3 english teams or 3 italian teams will be automatically in the group stages.

If this is wrong then a link to the relevant UEFA position would be good.

5starpool wrote:
    If this is wrong then a link to the relevant UEFA position would be good.

No - it looks like you're right on this. I'd assumed that because the title holders place in the CL can be at the expense of another team from same national association (i.e. lowest ranked team potentially getting dropped to the UEFA cup) that it also implied that their place in the group stages would be at the expense of another team from same national association. I'd quickly read the CL regulations previously but never found this to be particularly clear - however looking at ANNEX 1a again it confirms what you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

^
    l
    l
    l

Pair of champions league geeks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

^
    l
    l
    l

Pair of champions league geeks ;)

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

just marvelling at 5starpool and Zings thoroughness and CL knowledge is all :)

I'm debating whether I should watch the match in the same pub as 2005...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

just marvelling at 5starpool and Zings thoroughness and CL knowledge is all :)
    I was told this only yesterday by a Celtic fan who wanted Utd and Chelsea in the final so that as the next ranked team they would get an automatic league spot, as Scotland were the next country in the rankings. :o

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I'm debating whether I should watch the match in the same pub as 2005...

For superstitious reasons or for whether its the best place to watch the match?

Its funny how superstition plays a part, and players will be thinking about superstitious things as well. Milan with their white outfit, again insisting on it. And Liverpool will have theirs, Gerrard hinted at a few I think. Will they eat the same things, do the same things, etc ....

I dont believe in superstition, so it doesnt affect me, but ironically for those that do 'believe' in such matters, it can affect them psychologically, which is an important aspect. eg: Player X goes to each game with his teddy bear from his daughter in his bag, only to find that when he reaches the stadium he left it in the car - oh no, a disaster!

What's happening in Corrie these days? ;-)

Redspider

Somewhat superstitious, somewhat sentimental.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Its a shame that he may miss out on the occasion.

But on the other hand ....I really think Benitez was gonna start him and id rather see Kewell / Gonzales play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's an interesting fly in the ointment. I think we can rule out Gonzales from starting, it's a very big match for him to step in to and he hasn't really shown he's capable of it. Rafa's obviously going to be looking at Kewell's fitness and sharpness, but the obvious choice would be Riise in left midfield, with Arbeloa at LB.

That said, he has played Pennant on the left from time to time, so you never know. He might go for a narrow midfield either, seeing as Milan have no real width in midfield themselves.

--Mach--Sissoko
    Alonso
    --Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Going with width could suit Liverpool, it's getting balls into the box that essentially caused Chelsea problems...plus it was a good counter to Chelsea's narrow midfield, which isn't too dissimilar to Milan's. That said if Benitez does play with wingers expect Gattuso and Jankulovski to man-mark Pennant and whoever out of it - as Man U and Celtic found out....should be an interesting tussle!

With Zenden out, I can really see Gerrard starting on the left side kinda.

Macherano-Sissoko
    --Pennant
    Alonso
    Gerrard---
    Kuyt/Crouch

I think this might also be the case as Liverpool know they have to shackle Milans fullbacks, with Gerrard and Pennant likely to track back

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

In 2005 a lot of Liverpool fans weren't so confident of beating Milan. I think your all being a bit too cocky this year. Best of luck anyway.

PHB wrote:
    With Zenden out, I can really see Gerrard starting on the left side kinda.

Macherano-Sissoko
    --Pennant
    Alonso
    Gerrard---
    Kuyt/Crouch

I think this might also be the case as Liverpool know they have to shackle Milans fullbacks, with Gerrard and Pennant likely to track back

Theres very little chance he will play Mascherano, Sissoko & Alonso in the same team. The team I expect Rafa to pick.

Finnan----Agger----Carragher---Arbeloa

Gerrard---Alonso---Mascherano---Riise

Kuyt---Crouch

I would like him to pick...

Finnan----Agger----Carragher---Riise

Pennant--Alonso--Mascherano--Kewell

Gerrard

Crouch

With Arbeloa coming on to replace Kewell and Riise slotting into LW. Then Pennant coming off for Kuyt with Gerrard slotting in on the RW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey Tusky thats my formation! Great minds/mad minds....:p

I'm actually glad Zenden is out, it'll force Rafas hand to a degree. With that info, I guess Arbeloa -> Riise down the left side is the most likely which I'd prefere to Riise -> Zenden.

Now any chance of Kaka getting Krocked?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm a little apprehensive of Arbeloa at LB. He did well at the Nou Camp, but it's not his natural position. Tried & tested may be the best approach for a match like this one. On the other hand, Kewell's struggling for fitness and sharpness, so it may be Arbeloa-Riise on the left by default.

I'm a little apprehensive of Arbeloa at LB. He did well at the Nou Camp, but it's not his natural position. Tried & tested may be the best approach for a match like this one. On the other hand, Kewell's struggling for fitness and sharpness, so it may be Arbeloa-Riise on the left by default.

He impressed initially but he has been fairly bad in the last few games. I think he will come good but wouldnt trust him in a match of this importance!
    Hey Tusky thats my formation! Great minds/mad minds....:p

Which one is great and which one is mad though ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement