Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Offical Liverpool - Milan Champions League Final Thread (before during & afters)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Well most Pool fans I know pride themselves on the amount of trophies they win, which aside from the Champions League in 2005 have all been fairly crappy competitions. Even though their title challenge is over by Christmas they'll always just point to a league or fa cup victory. No crappy trophies for Pool this season. No decent ones either.

Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Cyrus wrote:
    another knob, united fan i assume?

These kind of comments are not needed at all

he's making a legit point about the fact that pool fans do pride themselves on what they win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Well most Pool fans I know pride themselves on the amount of trophies they win, which aside from the Champions League in 2005 have all been fairly crappy competitions. Even though their title challenge is over by Christmas they'll always just point to a league or fa cup victory. No crappy trophies for Pool this season. No decent ones either.
    Everyone prides themselves on the amount of trophies they win. Not just Liverpool fans. But, the FA Cup is a middling trophy. Chelsea's achievments this season was i order of magnitude are: 3rd in the premiership > Semi Final CL >>>> Fa Cup > League Cup.

That's the reality.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I bet the liverpool website's webmaster is feeling fairly stupid now. This actually appeared on line for a while this afternoon.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Everyone prides themselves on the amount of trophies they win. Not just Liverpool fans. But, the FA Cup is a middling trophy. Chelsea's achievments this season was i order of magnitude are: 3rd in the premiership > Semi Final CL >>>> Fa Cup > League Cup.

That's the reality.

Jesus, I could have swore that Chelsea were runners up in the premiership this season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

lol if thats true but it looks a wee bit photoshopped to me

Cyrus wrote:
    another knob, united fan i assume?
    Remember WHERE you are posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I know it may seem that way but at the end of the day nobody remembers the runners up. I'm an Arsenal fan and for 70 minutes it looked like they were gonna be European Champions last season but it didn't happen. It may seem like a better achievment now but it's always better to have trophies in the bag than a runners up spot in a premier competition.

If it were the League Cup you might have a point but the FA Cup is still a competition everyone tries to win. I'm sure in 5 years time you'll prefer an FA cup victory on the club's record rather than a Champions League second place finish.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Aquos76 wrote:
    I bet the liverpool website's webmaster is feeling fairly stupid now. This actually appeared on line for a while this afternoon.
    any proof rather than just a jpg?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Remember WHERE you are posting.
    That's your new catchphrase, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

2nd... the referee (and his team) no matter what way you look at it was horrible. i hate that guy, he is atrocious! he never gets the big decisions right but always gives a load of fouls where its really nothing. a few times the whistle was blown for crouch and Kuyt jumping for the ball where i saw them make no infringement. i think a worse foul was commited on Gerrard early in the second half inside the box, Nesta's arm was clearly all over Gerrard, but nothing. Agger commited the most cynical foul on the night and wasn't booked, a ridiculous decision. did Alonso get through the whole of that game without a booking? Kaka was blown offside when clear through on goal (Inzaghi never touched the ball so it never should have been an offside). Later Kaka clearly dives but no booking. Kewell gets away with diving too. one or two offside decisions went against liverpool too if i remember correctly, just a horrible refereeing performance, really pisses me off to have that overshadow a game, it changed it completely. to sum it all up he blows up early! ridiculous! and Liverpool were in the opposition half and everything!
    And he gave Mascherano the gayest yellow card I've ever seen in a game of football.
    He did seem to make a few very strange decisions though.

Anybody else think that the atmosphere was very strange at the match? It didn't seem like a CL final at all. Maybe it was to do with the crowd being so far away from the pitch. And that opening ceremony was just pants. They should just leave all that nonsense to the Olympic games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cyrus wrote:
    go back under your rock

Just giving my opinion,which is what its all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fullstop wrote:
    Dry your eyes... liverpool shouldn't have been in the competition. When was the last time they won a league title?

oh wow im really embarrassed for you right now
    *nudge*
    [WHISPER]
    for the last few years the top 4 in england qualify for the champions league. don't worry i wont tell the other lads on the soccer forum you don't even know the rules of the biggest club competition in Europe! Seriously though, check stuff like that out before you post cause others will rip you apart for it!
    [/WHISPER]

Anyway back on track, Im absolutely Gutted. Very depressing game. Having so many potential chances to get forward and just not taking them properly. Doing well to shackle Milans offensive talent for most of the game only to be able to do nothing at the other end ourselves. Was happy with Pennant. Was happy enough with Xabi as well. Gerrard was trying far too hard, almost getting in the way at times.

Ah well on the bright side, Rafa's been in 4 finals in the last 10 years so we shouldnt have to wait too long! ;)

That's your new catchphrase, isn't it?
    My catchphrase is.....

Hey wa happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm sure in 5 years time you'll prefer an FA cup victory on the club's record rather than a Champions League second place finish.

the clubs accountants would much rather the latter.

Yeah but Chelsea/United still got to the semi finals, plenty of cash there. I'm still sure in the long run all 3 clubs would prefer to actually win something rather than make an extra few quid.

copacetic wrote:
    any proof rather than just a jpg?

Nope, not yet sorry

BaZmO* wrote:
    And he gave Mascherano the gayest yellow card I've ever seen in a game of football.
    He did seem to make a few very strange decisions though.
    forgot that one too...
    Anybody else think that the atmosphere was very strange at the match? It didn't seem like a CL final at all. Maybe it was to do with the crowd being so far away from the pitch. And that opening ceremony was just pants. They should just leave all that nonsense to the Olympic games.

yeah it was a bit dampened at times. i think the stadium is partly to blame too. it's a big open design, pitch really far away, not good for keeping the sound in by the looks of things.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Aquos76 wrote:
    Nope, not yet sorry

not saying it didn't happen, but there have been plenty of fake 'webpage screenshots' from all the top club websites in the past..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

the clubs accountants would much rather the latter.
    Which sadly is more significant these days.

I have to agree with the RTE pundits - Italian clubs are going to find it increasingly difficult to compete with the Premiership and La Liga clubs in the future. They'd best enjoy the current bit of success while it lasts.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote:
    Jesus, I could have swore that Chelsea were runners up in the premiership this season.
    My only excuse is that i'm drunk(ish).

Yeah but Chelsea/United still got to the semi finals, plenty of cash there. I'm still sure in the long run all 3 clubs would prefer to actually win something rather than make an extra few quid.

it depends, i still think the finalist makes a sh*tload more than the semi's though. i think its like 10 - 20 mil or something of a difference. enough to finance the signing of a very good player or two, so i actually think that cash is better for a clubs long run ambitions.

plus when it comes to Pool, they are still having to serve gillets and whatshisnames debt. i think a conscious decision at board level was made (when it became apparent pool were out of Prem race) to push everything into the champions league run because of the financial reward would be much better for the club in the long run.

Goodnight everybody, I'm off to bed.

Don't be too upset, tomorrow's another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

~Rebel~ wrote:
    *nudge*
    [WHISPER]
    for the last few years the top 4 in england qualify for the champions league. don't worry i wont tell the other lads on the soccer forum you don't even know the rules of the biggest club competition in Europe! Seriously though, check stuff like that out before you post cause others will rip you apart for it!
    [/WHISPER]

he was replying to the Liverpool supporter who said Milan shouldnt have being in it, even though the Italian league is a bit of joke regards match fixing, Milan qualified end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

What a strange atmosphere if you could call it that at the game tonight.

I have to say delighted AC Milan won :p they deserved it, they try to play football the way it should be. L'pool to negative, steven gerrard was the only liverpool forward tonight and to top it all of, he makes a sub in the 87minutes bringing on one right back for another, Benitez blew big time tonight by not playing 2 up front.

Edit: What a stupid statement Benitez said before the biggest game of liverpools lifes, that there will be a lot changes at the club next season with players who work hard, have character etc, not the brightest thing to say before the game Rafa.....

steven gerrard was the only liverpool forward tonight and to top it all of, he makes a sub in the 87minutes bringing on one right back for another, Benitez blew big time tonight by not playing 2 up front.

so was Kuyt playing in defense then? and did Crouch not play along side Kuyt later on or was I imagining it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Congrats to Milan, worthy winners, no argument.

Let the Rafa clear-out begin.

Fair Play to Maldini, he could have called it a day 2 years ago, 8 CL Finals, Legend.

I thought the ref was poor, to both sides. Alonso made about 10-12 fouls, while other players got booked for first time fouls, and Masch got booked because Milan players argued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well most Pool fans I know pride themselves on the amount of trophies they win, which aside from the Champions League in 2005 have all been fairly crappy competitions.

Post of the thread. :p

European Cup 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005, UEFA Cup 1973, 1976, 2001, too many FA and League Cup to list right now.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I think he may have been talking about in the last 15 years Mike.

I mean Liverpool fans must find it hard to say they haven't won the league in the last 17 years!

• Advertisement

he was replying to the Liverpool supporter who said Milan shouldnt have being in it

...he was still wrong...2 wrongs don't make a right. he could have chosen a more intelligent way to make his point, like you did.

Whats going on in this thread anyway? I could have sworn it was the champions league final thread. whats the deal with all this bickering about liverpool not winning the League in 17 years?

The only plus side of tonight was seeing a true legend of the game lift the trophy. Still gutted, but we had Istanbul, and im sure we'll bounce back. Potentially excellent summers avctivity to look forward to!

Yeah I'm talking in recent years. Quit living in the past now

What a strange atmosphere if you could call it that at the game tonight.

I have to say delighted AC Milan won :p they deserved it, they try to play football the way it should be. L'pool to negative, steven gerrard was the only liverpool forward tonight and to top it all of, he makes a sub in the 87minutes bringing on one right back for another, Benitez blew big time tonight by not playing 2 up front.

milan had 1 chance the whole game, the first goal was a complete fluke what game were you watching, liverpool were the better team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

~Rebel~ wrote:
    *nudge*
    [WHISPER]
    [/WHISPER]

Anyway back on track, Im absolutely Gutted. Very depressing game. Having so many potential chances to get forward and just not taking them properly. Doing well to shackle Milans offensive talent for most of the game only to be able to do nothing at the other end ourselves. Was happy with Pennant. Was happy enough with Xabi as well. Gerrard was trying far too hard, almost getting in the way at times.

Ah well on the bright side, Rafa's been in 4 finals in the last 10 years so we shouldnt have to wait too long! ;)
    Oh no please don't rip me apart. I'm aware of the rules of the competition:rolleyes: I was merely pointing out that if milan shouldn't be in it, then why should liverpool?:rolleyes:

Cyrus wrote:
    milan had 1 chance the whole game, the first goal was a complete fluke what game were you watching, liverpool were the better team
    Yeah right. The objective of the game is to score the most goals. Milan did that and were, therefore, the better team.

Yeah I'm talking in recent years. Quit living in the past now

define the past?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Cyrus wrote:
    define the past?

when Liverpool were winning everything ;)

Cyrus wrote:
    define the past?
    adj.
    1. No longer current; gone by; over: His youth is past.
    2. Having existed or occurred in an earlier time; bygone: past events; in years past.
    a. Earlier than the present time; ago: 40 years past.
    b. Just gone by or elapsed: in the past few days.
    4. Having served formerly in a given capacity, especially an official one: a past president; a past inmate of a cell.
    5. Grammar Of, relating to, or being a verb tense or form used to express an action or condition prior to the time it is expressed.
    n.
    1. The time before the present.
    a. Previous background, career, experiences, and activities: an elderly person with a distinguished past.
    b. A former period of someone's life kept secret or thought to be shameful: a family with a checkered past.
    3. Grammar
    a. The past tense.
    b. A verb form in the past tense.
    adv.
    So as to pass by or go beyond: He waved as he walked past.

Cyrus wrote:
    define the past?

Let's see, when the last team to win a league title has not one single player in common with the current team... still celebrating these victories would be living in the past. And I'm sure the entire team has changed more than once since Liverpool last won a league title.

can we get a mod in here?

this is just getting stupid...

TALK ABOUT THE GAME FFS!!!!¬!¬!¬!"!"!!!1

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Was only about 20 tbh

wrong, there was 20 seconds of normal injury time, but there was a substitution in injury time. So he blew it up at least 30 seconds early. That really pissed me off despite the fact we didn't look like scoring another anyway

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote:
    Oh no please don't rip me apart. I'm aware of the rules of the competition:rolleyes: I was merely pointing out that if milan shouldn't be in it, then why should liverpool?:rolleyes:

but your not making any sense. What are you talking about? Someone made a wrong statement about Milan, so you decide to counter with an equally wrong statement about liverpool? How do you possibly justify that?! I just dont get it?! Why not act like an adult and instead counter the protagonist with an actual factual thought, such as "But good sir, Milan complied with all the requirements and prerequisites to qualify for this tournament, therefore are wholely deserving of playing within its final old chum." and, guy, enough with the rolleyes!

~Rebel~ wrote:
    but your not making any sense. What are you talking about? Someone made a wrong statement about Milan, so you decide to counter with an equally wrong statement about liverpool? How do you possibly justify that?! I just dont get it?! Why not act like an adult and instead counter the protagonist with an actual factual thought, such as "But good sir, Milan complied with all the requirements and prerequisites to qualify for this tournament, therefore are wholely deserving of playing within its final old chum." and, guy, enough with the rolleyes!
    Oh yeah you're right. Just wish I was as intellient as you obviously are:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

delighted for milan to win, equally delighted for liverpool to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

dardoz wrote:
    wrong, there was 20 seconds of normal injury time, but there was a substitution in injury time. So he blew it up at least 30 seconds early. That really pissed me off despite the fact we didn't look like scoring another anyway

Yeah, that 30 seconds would have been really handy. After all, it took them almost 90 minutes to score their first goal.

Milan got it right this time. They got a lead and didn't give Liverpool enough time to come back.

fullstop wrote:
    Oh yeah you're right. Just wish I was as intellient as you obviously are:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Im sure you do, but dont beat yourself up about it. We all make mistakes, just gotta learn from them.

Anyway Im off to do some serious hardcore study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

delighted for milan to win, equally delighted for liverpool to lose.

BOO, BOO!

Sky sports gave Gerrard 9/10 and Zenden 7/10 :eek: Bit generous there methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Im sure you do, but dont beat yourself up about it. We all make mistakes, just gotta learn from them.

Anyway Im off to do some serious hardcore study.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

fullstop wrote:
    Sky sports gave Gerrard 9/10 and Zenden 7/10 :eek: Bit generous there methinks

Well they did play for the team that represented the 'greatest league in the world' [(c)Sky Sports]

Enjoy!

ugh i know. should be some ruling against exams the morning after the champions league final! at least its my last one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement