Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Offical Liverpool - Milan Champions League Final Thread (before during & afters)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

As a Liverpool fan I stood up and clapped when Milan lifted the trophy. They won the match fair and square. I'm just glad as a Liverpool fan we are available to accept defeat graciously. Not like the united fans clearing out of wembley on saturday after losing the F.A. Cup final..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

As a Liverpool fan I stood up and clapped when Milan lifted the trophy. They won the match fair and square. I'm just glad as a Liverpool fan we are available to accept defeat graciously. Not like the united fans clearing out of wembley on saturday after losing the F.A. Cup final..
    Oh would you stop! At least the Utd. fans paid for their tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Seaneh wrote:
    Words cannot desrcibe the emmotions I wnet through when super pippo scored the second goal last night, what a ball by kaka, what a first touch by pippo, what a finish!

The better team won, it was a victory for football that the longball merchents didn't win!

Forza Rossoneri!

I think you are talking jibberish, I don't think either team were inspiring, the win kind of happened to Milan, they didn't have any ideas until the first 1 goal happened to them.

I don't think that final was a victory for football. It wasn't a great display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Seaneh wrote:
    Words cannot desrcibe the emmotions I wnet through when super pippo scored the second goal last night, what a ball by kaka, what a first touch by pippo, what a finish!

The better team won, it was a victory for football that the longball merchents didn't win!

Forza Rossoneri!

Were you watching the match, it was a fairly poor match. Milan couldn't pass the ball to save thier lives and they were nowhere near the best team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ah lads, he's obviously a milan fan

if liverpool had one there would be people saying the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Can posters (mainly Liverpool Fans) stop saying Milans 1st goal was a fluke/lucky goal.

Inzaghi knew what he was doing, and any deflection from that well hit free would have wrong footed any keeper. Dont you think that AC might have planned it? considering Inzaghi run in (uncontested) into the area where the ball was being delivered? A clinical goal poacher well able to slot in 1/2 chances presented to him.

And the cries of complains, (bout it being a fluke) from the Jammiest football team in the Champions League.

Look to Inzaghis second to see he is well capable to coolly slot away any chances given.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Can posters (mainly Liverpool Fans) stop saying Milans 1st goal was a fluke/lucky goal.

Inzaghi knew what he was doing, and any deflection from that well hit free would have wrong footed any keeper. Dont you think that AC might have planned it? considering Inzaghi run in (uncontested) into the area where the ball was being delivered? A clinical goal poacher well able to slot in 1/2 chances presented to him.

And the cries of complains, (bout it being a fluke) from the Jammiest football team in the Champions League.

Look to Inzaghis second to see he is well capable to coolly slot away any chances given.

this has cheered me right up after the loss. It just shows no matter how silly the opinion there will always be one person who has it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Seaneh wrote:

Forza Rossoneri!

Me thinks you have been watching too much of Dunphy and the lads.

Better team did not really win, the more clinical team won with a bit of good fortune.
    I think Liverpool brought more to last nights game than Milan, they out fought them for most of the game but lacked that final bit of quality.
    Its a bit unfair to brand Liverpool long ball, compared to Chelsea they play samba football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

:D This should be in the humour forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Well if he did know what he was doing it should have been a free out for handball. However i think thats ridiculous and the situation is pretty much all those cross come shots that happen to go in where the scorer claims intent even though he's looking in a completely different direction or in this case turning away from the ball.

No one is complaining, Milan probably deserved there good fortune after what happened before. We wouldn't say anything if it wasn't for the ignorant and obnoxious people that are spewing all the anti-Liverpool garbage. Zealotism is never pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a lot of 'bitters' we have on this thread.

For all those who follow Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd remember which Prem team was in the final - not yours. (if you follow Spurs, Newcastle etc I'm afraid your complaining is meaningless!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Well now in fairness United were outplayed by Milan big time which has some honour to it. Liverpool were outplaying them in the final as Milan were piss poor but Liverpool were worse due to their lack of ability to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

BaZmO* wrote:
    Oh would you stop! At least the Utd. fans paid for their tickets.

LOL :D I mentioned that to my mates last night, pointing out the sea of red respectfully watching Milan lift the cup and comparing it to the half empty Wembley as Chelsea lifted theirs. They freely admitted theyd be out the door at the final whistle, says it all really :) :rolleyes:

There was no word of it at the time, but Ive just seen the first papers, most are fronting with Inzaghi possible having punched the ball in (hard to tell admittedtly, as said previously Im not even sure if he meant to touch it in that manner). If that isnt luck I dont know what is. Mike again summed it up, Liverpool made it after a hard fought campaign, Man U went out in the second most embarrasing match of the tournament against a Milan side who werent even particularly brilliant on the night. Ive no doubt that given their post Milan form United would have lost last night if they had made the final. Again it all goes down to the goal issue. The Utd fans think the pool played sh1t because they didnt knock seven past a very defensive Milan side. As Chucky (i think) said in a previous thread, most non Utd fans grow out of the hunger for goal goal goal and actually appreciate some hard fought tense games by age 12. The best laugh Ive had in quite a while was a quote by someone ages ago here (after the last Chelsea v Pool game) re whether United would beat Liverpool if, as had been expected, they made the final

"After that rubbish (the Chelsea match) Im certain of it" :D

Considering they couldnt make it past a below par (on the night) Milan side made it better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This is what happens when you let team who rig matches into big competitions,

I presume you can back this up with some sort of evidence. The courts in Italy couldn't. Really, if I accused Liverpool of cheating you'd have a hissy fit all over the forum. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

mike65 wrote:
    What a lot of 'bitters' we have on this thread.

Bitter of what exactly? Liverpool didn't win anything

'Bitters' - a term used to describe Everton fans as a rule but I thought it appopriate for those who's teams had fallen shorter than Liverpool this season. Very short for Gooners.

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mike65 wrote:
    'Bitters' - a term used to describe Everton fans as a rule but I thought it appopriate for those who's teams had fallen shorter than Liverpool this season. Very short for Gooners.

Mike.
    I believe it's a term used by Man United fans to describe Liverpool fans also.

Labelling anyone who says anything even remotely contrary to the party line as jealous is a very quick way to get people's backs up. Is that what you're trying to do, Mike?

What me? Mr Reasonable? Nah

Enough of this thread already methinks.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Well now in fairness United were outplayed by Milan big time which has some honour to it. Liverpool were outplaying them in the final as Milan were piss poor but Liverpool were worse due to their lack of ability to score.
    That makes no sense at all? since when is getting played off the pitch more honourable than putting up a fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't think it's about honour, it's about regret. We can say that United were absolutely beaten by the better team, no questions asked. But Liverpool will have to look back and wonder what could have been if X chance had gone in etc etc...

But please, let's not turn this into a 'who got beaten more by Milan' thread! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you lose you lose, the only honour imo is going out playing the right type of football, cause the at least you enjoyed it. However, in neither the 3-0 victory by Milan against United or the 2-1 victory against Liverpool did either side play particuarly attacking football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Milan were very poor and were there for the taking, had Liverpool not given away a freekick it would have been a very different result, but that's football for you. It reminded me of that Benfica game last year where Liverpool couldn't finish to save their live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

It doesn't look like all their fans covered themselves in glory. Mugging fellow supporters for tickets, women and kids crushed against barriers while fans behind are trying to rush the gates.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=179084.0

http://forum.raotl.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=54012&start=0

Sounds like it's lucky there wasn't a repeat of Hillsborough as mentioned in reply 21 of the 1st link.

I also don't know what this means about the Justice for the 96 campaign. I would have thought that your fans wouldn't have behaved in a way which could bring about a possible repeat of that incident.

Thank your lucky stars you're only moaning about losing the game.

PS Thank God it wasn't a Utd / Pool final. There would have been killings whatever the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I believe it's a term used by Man United fans to describe Liverpool fans also.

Not exactly Pepe, City fans yes (also Liars). Pool fans are known as (Bin)dippers. Of course I'm sure they've got equally as nice names for Utd fans!

Anyway be thankful we're only talking about football after last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not exactly Pepe, City fans yes (also Liars). Pool fans are known as (Bin)dippers. Of course I'm sure they've got equally as nice names for Utd fans!

Anyway be thankful we're only talking about football after last night.
    dippers would be the politer term i have heard used for 'pool on a lot of united forums.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Why did i click the links ??? Utter garbage sites ftloose.

1st link blames uefa for 10's/100's/1000's of ticketless fans rushing barriers 'sounds familiar unfortunately' though i am giving them numbers because the total is unknown.Do uefa officals stand outside the stadium organising everything ? Like fook they do , they are sitting comfy eating their prawn sandwiches.

2nd link only goes as far as to blame the ticketless thieving knacks though in fairness English fans do travel in huge numbers and it will always be like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

nipplenuts wrote:
    I presume you can back this up with some sort of evidence. The courts in Italy couldn't. Really, if I accused Liverpool of cheating you'd have a hissy fit all over the forum. ;)
    Of course he can't, he didn't reply to my request for evidence either. He knows the truth though, proof be damned. :rolleyes:
    PHB wrote:
    If you lose you lose, the only honour imo is going out playing the right type of football, cause the at least you enjoyed it. However, in neither the 3-0 victory by Milan against United or the 2-1 victory against Liverpool did either side play particuarly attacking football.
    In fairness, Milan were pretty attacking against Manchester United until the second goal went in at least. They did take their feet off the gas a bit then but to say that Milan didn't play "particularly attacking football" against MUFC is a bit silly, I must say.

Edit: Never mind, I can't decipher the English language. :( What you said was not silly at all, good sir.

Of course he can't, he didn't reply to my request for evidence either. He knows the truth though, proof be damned. :rolleyes:In fairness, Milan were pretty attacking against Manchester United until the second goal went in at least. They did take their feet off the gas a bit then but to say that Milan didn't play "particularly attacking football" against MUFC is a bit silly, I must say.
    i think he means that neither Man United nor Liverpool played attacking football, and in the 3-0 humiliation at the san siro, united hardly got the ball into attack at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

UEFA hold many of these type of finals over the years but why is there trouble now? I don't remember trouble at other finals (in recent years)or maybe the hype wasn't the same for other matches ?

Greece held the Olmpics so I am sure they know how to run a large competition like this.

The fans that stole the tickets from other fans should be ashamed of themselves.
    The idiot on BBC news last night who openly bragged about how he and his friends got in for nothing and past the security and watched the game for nothing and thought it was alright....1 word for people like that and its SCUM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Tauren wrote:
    i think he means that neither Man United nor Liverpool played attacking football, and in the 3-0 humiliation at the san siro, united hardly got the ball into attack at all.
    Ah. In that case then, fair enough. :)

It's early morning here and I was only just home from work when I read it, you see.

Edit: Reading it again, that's what PHB definitely meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In fairness, Milan were pretty attacking against Manchester United until the second goal went in at least. They did take their feet off the gas a bit then but to say that Milan didn't play "particularly attacking football" against MUFC is a bit silly, I must say.

What I was saying was neither Man Utd nor Liverpool played attacking football against Milan, not the other way around.

I agree that in large parts, the fans who tried to get in for free are to blame, those who chared are to blame, and I hope videos caught them and that they get banned from football stadiums forever, they are worse than touts imo, and in large parts the fans who stole other peoples tickets are to blame, but by god, what sort of stadium doesn't have turnstiles!! If you have turnstiles, you just can't charge, it's quite simple.

PHB wrote:
    What I was saying was neither Man Utd nor Liverpool played attacking football against Milan, not the other way around.

I agree that in large parts, the fans who tried to get in for free are to blame, those who chared are to blame, and I hope videos caught them and that they get banned from football stadiums forever, they are worse than touts imo, and in large parts the fans who stole other peoples tickets are to blame, but by god, what sort of stadium doesn't have turnstiles!! If you have turnstiles, you just can't charge, it's quite simple.
    i read that there were turnstiles, but when a large number of liverpool 'fans' rushed at them people at the front were starting to get crushed against the turnstiles by the people behind them, so the police made the decision to just open the turnstiles. Under teh circumstances, it was the right call imo. Its not nice to be taling about how people were screwed out of seeing a match they had paid for by fellow 'fans' but its a lot better then talking about the death of fans who were crushed against the turnstiles.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Liverpool "fan" on SkySports News:
    "They told us that the ground was full, and started locking the gates - so we just forced them open and went in - I ended up in the front row behind the goal" (Stupid smug grin on his face)
    The reporter asks if he feels at all bad about that, to which he replies:
    "No, it's UEFA's fault"

Now all rivalry aside, it made me sick listening to this smug twat. After Heysel and Hillsborough, he can sit there with a grin on his face knowing that the same could easily have happened again. What for? To see a football match. People like him cause events like Hillsborough and then try to blame whatever tom dick and harry under the sun for it. In this case UEFA are to blame. Vermin. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:

I think Liverpool attacked Milan, they just didnt have the players to unlock their defence. The only people in the Liverpool team that I expected to score were Gerrarrd and maybe Kuyt. Zenden or Pennant were never going to score & Mascherano & Alonso rarely score either.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    "They told us that the ground was full, and started locking the gates - so we just forced them open and went in - I ended up in the front row behind the goal" (Stupid smug grin on his face)
    "No, it's UEFA's fault"

Now all rivalry aside, it made me sick listening to this smug twat. After Heysel and Hillsborough, he can sit there with a grin on his face knowing that the same could easily have happened again. What for? To see a football match. People like him cause events like Hillsborough and then try to blame whatever tom dick and harry under the sun for it. In this case UEFA are to blame. Vermin. :mad:
    I agree that people have to take responsibility for their actions 100% but the unfortunate reality of life is that generally people are fúcking stupid and therefore it is up to the organisers of events to make sure that every precaution is made to ensure that situations like this don't occur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, now that the dust is settling on this final, there is still a case of what could have been, if only this, that and the other.

I think Benitez realised to some degree yesterday with his rant about needing the 100m investment etc, that his plans have not come off. He was unhappy with Liverpool's performance in the CL final and the result and he was yesterday angry about it and venting it.

He is off-loading Gonzalez, well, I'm sorry Rafa, but you brought him in. And Gonzalez didnt even get a chance in the CL final so cant be blamed at all, and I think he would have been a good inclusion, if not in the starting 11 but as an impact sub. Benitez by implication with his unhappiness with quality in the team was unhappy with Kuyt and Zenden, again, he brought them in. Unhappy with Kewell?, but Benitez put him on.

I think Rafa himself needs to take some of the blame for this loss and not just say that we now need to invest 100m in our team because the players we have are not good enough. He has been here 3 years and has shaped this team, so it is his team. And its not as if there has been no investment, there has been a lot, in terms of both purchases and salaries.

So, I'd like to see him at some point over the coming days, weeks or months at least put his hand up and say something along the lines of admitting some culpability in the defeat and with his selections.

As I've said before, Liverpool got past Chelsea in the CL semi-final legs in spite of Zenden being on for 180 mins - one of Rafa's selections! Nearly all analysts cant believe that he selected him then, and again in this final. Likewise, the Kewell sub.

If Rafa was a genuis by switching to a 3-man defense when in dire straits and 3-0 down in the 2005 final, he lacked inspirtaional and genius changes on Wed.

Kuyt as the sole target man, just wasnt going to work against Nesta and Maldini, and it doesnt suit Kuyts style of play anyway. Crouch was the only viable option in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

So, all in all, I think I need to see more of a mea culpa set of soundings coming out from Rafa.

redspider> yet no-one will detract from their (Milan's) victory.
    bazmo> Really?
    (followed by quotes)

Well, if you only select the negative remarks I made about Milan, of course it will sound negative. You omitted the positive things I said about Milan. They did some things well, very well. But even Milan themselves have readily admitted that they did not perform well. And any team that gets only 5 attempts at goal in a match of course didnt perform well. Milan did NOT put Liverpool under any sustained pressure.

And from a Liverpool perspective its a case of would have, should have. If only Rafa would have selected different players, players that were available and on the bench (Crouch, Gonzalez, Bellamy) and not take off Mascherano (Milan's 2nd goal came 3 mins after he went off and was scored from the hole he vacated) then the result could have been much different, if the deflected goal hadn't have gone in, etc.

I'm repeating myself in this stage with my posts but the points still apply. Liverpool bottled up Milan, and failed to capitalise on the half-chances they created. Think of the long shot chances from Riise, long as in 22 yards out, not 30 yards out. He made a mess of some of those and he would normally get at least one on target.

Whilst it wasnt a case of 20 chances versus one and a real steal, it was a case of Liverpool fans left wondering that the team could have beaten this Milan team.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    "No, it's UEFA's fault"

True , there is no understanding the mentality of some people.

I forgot to comment about this ....
    "No, it's UEFA's fault"

Now all rivalry aside, it made me sick listening to this smug twat. After Heysel and Hillsborough, he can sit there with a grin on his face knowing that the same could easily have happened again. What for? To see a football match. People like him cause events like Hillsborough and then try to blame whatever tom dick and harry under the sun for it. In this case UEFA are to blame. Vermin.
    Tauren wrote:
    i read that there were turnstiles, but when a large number of liverpool 'fans' rushed at them people at the front were starting to get crushed against the turnstiles by the people behind them, so the police made the decision to just open the turnstiles. Under teh circumstances, it was the right call imo. Its not nice to be taling about how people were screwed out of seeing a match they had paid for by fellow 'fans' but its a lot better then talking about the death of fans who were crushed against the turnstiles.

I think there were at least two wrongs in general 'perpetrated' on Wed night. Obviously, there seems to have been a lack of proper crowd contol and a lack of proper ticket checking on the way to the stadium. This, along with lack of awareness of what were forged tickets, is the responsibility of the authorities.

Secondly, the fans that exploited the situation is unsavoury. Some knowingly, ie: not having a ticket, pushing at the stadium and getting in. Others, less knowingly, buying forged tickets at scalper/tout prices, and getting in.

If the Authorities knowingly let people in with no tickets, yet batoned those with valid tickets, there is surely a case for an inquiry. Clearly there should not have been a situation leading to life risk at the turnstiles and entrance. Again, the blame should lie with authorities. Turnstiles should not be opened, as there are other and better solutions to easing such squeezes. Again, the authorities fault.

But overall, some Liverpool fans are not blameless, and the whole affair adds an unsavoury undertone to the night.

Clearly, Uefa should compensate those that didnt get in with a valid ticket. However, monetary compensation is not equivalent to missing the match, even if Liverpool did lose. And the way tat Uefa distibute tickets and the end uo in this all-in package deals with expensive flights, hotels, etc, the whole ticketing distibution mechanism is a mess. However, for finals such as these with huigh demand, there is no simple way. One way is a lottery based on Passport ID's with collection at the stadium on the way in. Unless people start forging passports, it seems a reasonable way.

There were also some minor rioting later on in the night after the match, but from what I read and saw, these were small scale yet good for TV.

Uefa and the autorities I understand are blaming the problems on the 'english fans'. There may be something to that, and without being there personally its difficult to tell.

Any witnesses to the events, your comments and observations are welcome .....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I was there, and I was at the final last year as well

2 things were common to both - fans trying to get in without tickets

Difference last year - better organized, more poilice, proper fencing round stadium.

Fans could be partly to blame, but every event like that have to expect people to blag their way in - i've done it myself.

The stadium and the city wasn't capable of hosting a match like that.

UEFA are to blame, as they were for Heysel, but they won't admit it, especially that prick Platini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

thewing wrote:

Difference last year - better organized, more poilice, proper fencing round stadium.

Fans could be partly to blame, but every event like that have to expect people to blag their way in - i've done it myself.

UEFA are to blame, as they were for Heysel, but they won't admit it, especially that prick Platini.

But didn't they host the Olmypics ???? I am sure there was more people at that then at the match on Weds. I think alot if it was down to scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

'Olympic Stadium', not a 'Football Stadium'

Two very different events.

Every football match attracts scumbags, but they are easily controlled with the proper organization.

thewing wrote:

'Olympic Stadium', not a 'Football Stadium'

Except that it is, as in the home ground of AEK Athens and has also been used by Panathainakos.
    www.wikipedia.org/Olympic_Stadium_(Athens)

And we all know how fervent the Greek fans can get. I dont think the stadium can be at fault.

Were fans able to climb over the fencing?
    Was there a lack of police, stewards?
    Were there any Liverpool FC stewards there?

Its up to the authorities to keep the non-ticket fans out. I put the blame on them, and that would include local authorities, and perhaps Uefa. I dont think you can blame Platini. He is not responsible for the low level details like that nor should he be.

Redspider

ciaran76 wrote:
    But didn't they host the Olmypics ???? I am sure there was more people at that then at the match on Weds. I think alot if it was down to scumbags.
    Football and Olympics are two totally different kettles of onions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

redspider wrote:
    Its up to the authorities to keep the non-ticket fans out. I put the blame on them, and that would include local authorities, and perhaps Uefa. I dont think you can blame Platini. He is not responsible for the low level details like that nor should he be.

Redspider

Maybe you can't blame him directly but like the head of any organisation he should have the balls to take a stand against anyone who was there from or working for or on behave of UEFA who made a mess of things on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

fullstop wrote:
    Dry your eyes... liverpool shouldn't have been in the competition. When was the last time they won a league title?

Haha, you imply I cry about it! Well eh no, I hate Liverpool...I'm a Leeds fan. I'm also very opposed to the Champions League allowing 4th placed teams enter the competition. Just have to get on with it, cos I cant change that. But the fact Milan were kicked out not even a year ago...I'm more opposed to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

zing wrote:
    Maybe you can't blame him directly but like the head of any organisation he should have the balls to take a stand against anyone who was there from or working for or on behave of UEFA who made a mess of things on the night.

In the first instance the blame lies with the morons who showed no consideration for their fellow supporters who had spent their hard earned cash on travel and tickets. Thats not to mention the potential implications their actions had on others safety.

That said the scenario should have been expected and prevented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

A Swiss bloke speaking on behalf of UEFA blamed the English fans as there was no trouble at the Milan end, there is a lot to blame a stadium that holds 70000 should logically give 35,000 to each team but Liverpool fans only got 11,000, the rest went corporate. French, Italian, German fans etc wouldn't travel without tickets or pay €1000 for one, English and Irish would, so pissed up "fans" without memories of hillsborough etc would just give it a lash and try and get in for nothing without thinking of the consequences.

By the way a mate of mine has a bus for sale going cheap:

pic11701.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

thewing wrote:

so you think its ok to 'blag' your way in, resulting in a fan who has paid for a tciket not getting in?

some fan you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

well, thank god it wasn't a Utd/Pool final or we could have had a real disaster..

italians and english are as bad as each other.. whoever lost would have caused trouble.

the fact milan won, means milan fans were too busy celebrating to care about fighting, whilst liverpool fans had to take their mind off defeat by venting their fury..

that's the way i see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

so why didn't Milan fans cause trouble in 2005

why is it that Liverpool have a dark and reoccurent history of causing crowd trouble

• Advertisement
Advertisement