Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Offical Liverpool - Milan Champions League Final Thread (before during & afters)

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    so why didn't Milan fans cause trouble in 2005

they were shocked.. that's an exception.. that's the sort of match that milan fans would just sit in the stadium staring at the pitch in silence..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

smemon wrote:
    well, thank god it wasn't a Utd/Pool final or we could have had a real disaster..

italians and english are as bad as each other.. whoever lost would have caused trouble.

the fact milan won, means milan fans were too busy celebrating to care about fighting, whilst liverpool fans had to take their mind off defeat by venting their fury..

that's the way i see it.

well except for the fact that some fighting occured before and during the game, i suppose you're right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

BBC ticket Q&A
    Q. What was the ticket allocation?
    Officially, Uefa made 17,000 tickets available to each club for a stadium that had a capacity of 63,000.

Q. Why did Liverpool only allocate 11,000 to their fans?
    Liverpool's explanation was that for every major event like this they have an obligation to their own sponsors, their former players and the like.

Any club would use the occasion to award tickets as a thank you to those who work for them, and Liverpool is a club with a strong sense of history and community.

It is not unusual, or unreasonable, although fans might question why so many were distributed in this way.

Which makes it all the more interesting that Rick Parry had this to say:
    "Uefa must look at the way they allocate tickets for future finals.

"Thousands of genuine fans are not being given the chance to attend what is the biggest game in club football."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6641719.stm

Just to reiterate, 17,000 tickets to each side...9,000 sold by ballot...20,000 to the "UEFA family"...

Remember, while you're riding the gravy train of CL cash, its UEFA commercial partners (i.e. sponsors) who help provide the cash money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

smemon wrote:
    they were shocked.. that's an exception.. that's the sort of match that milan fans would just sit in the stadium staring at the pitch in silence..

No its not an exception because Milan and nearly every other big european club don't have a history of causing trouble whenever they lose games, Liverpool however do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

so was it a small section of unruly Pool supporters or are we going to generalise and tar them all with the same brush? I though I saw some shaking hands with the Italian fans and trying to curb the tumult...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

so was it a small section of unruly Pool supporters or are we going to generalise and tar them all with the same brush? I though I saw some shaking hands with the Italian fans and trying to curb the tumult...
    No, it was actually every single Liverpool fan that was fighting. I even seen a small kid in a Pool jersey throwing a petrol bomb at the police.

Of course it was a small section and it's just a case of point scoring against the Pool fans. But having said that, however rightly or wrongly Liverpool fans (and English fans in general) do have a reputation for causing trouble at football matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I was at the match and arrived in at the stadium grounds about 3 hours before it started. There was a large crowd even heading in at that time but it was very comfortable. liverpool and milan fans were mingling and crossing over eachother on the way to their part of the stad

we were checked 3 times for tickets, which were scanned for authenticity. Our bags were searched 3 times.

There was no turnstiles

There was a lot of small events goin on around the grounds of the stad ie. food, merchandise, skills events.

Glady i saw absoloutely no trouble and stayed until maldini lifted old big ears. Made my way to the busses and no trouble again.

Even though i saw no trouble their wasn't enough police or riot police around. just a handful here and there

P.S. i have another extremely long rant about Abbey Travel but have not yet calmed down and will probably get banned from what i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Abbey Travel are just shockingly bad, I used them once, and never ever ever again. They are touts, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BaZmO* wrote:
    No, it was actually every single Liverpool fan that was fighting. I even seen a small kid in a Pool jersey throwing a petrol bomb at the police.

Of course it was a small section and it's just a case of point scoring against the Pool fans. But having said that, however rightly or wrongly Liverpool fans (and English fans in general) do have a reputation for causing trouble at football matches.

True, and United and Spurs had their own problems this season it's not confined to Liverpool supporters. You can't generalize in such circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

thewing wrote:
    UEFA are to blame,

I knew they would be. Just like the Spanish police were for the trouble when Spurs visited, the Italians were when Man Utd came to town, the French were etc etc.

Please stand back and see the common denominator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

nipplenuts wrote:
    Please stand back and see the common denominator.

yeah, those damn continentals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The Muppet wrote:
    In the first instance the blame lies with the morons who showed no consideration for their fellow supporters who had spent their hard earned cash on travel and tickets. Thats not to mention the potential implications their actions had on others safety.

That said the scenario should have been expected and prevented.

I completely agree with both statements. I hope as many of those so called fans can be identified from various video footage and get bans from the club with season tickets, etc.. being revoked. Unfortunately the chances of any of them being prosecuted are nil as I don't think any of the crimes committed would be considered serious enough - thankfully - to go though the hassle of extradition.

But in the case of your later point the responsibility to ensure such incidents don't happen lies with UEFA & local authorities and in the case of UEFA I hope Platini orders an investigation within UEFA and tries to ensure future matches are always handled properly. After all he was there during Heysel so has first hand knowledge as to what can go wrong that allows what should be the highlight of the football season turn into an unimaginable nightmare.

IMO, in any case of violence, the authorities are always to blame. Football should be so safe that nothing like this can ever happen. It's not that hard to do, yet it continues to happen.

PHB wrote:
    IMO, in any case of violence, the authorities are always to blame. Football should be so safe that nothing like this can ever happen. It's not that hard to do, yet it continues to happen.

that sounds good PHB, but really, maybe it's the kind of people drawn to the sport. I don't think you'd ever see violence at a golf stadium (or wakefulness, but that's unkind) and it's surely not because Uega, or whoever the golf authority is, manages things properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

zing wrote:

But in the case of your later point the responsibility to ensure such incidents don't happen lies with UEFA & local authorities and in the case of UEFA I hope Platini orders an investigation within UEFA and tries to ensure future matches are always handled properly. After all he was there during Heysel so has first hand knowledge as to what can go wrong that allows what should be the highlight of the football season turn into an unimaginable nightmare.

Agreed. As part of their investigation UEFA should also have a look at the treatment dished out to travelling fans at other games too. I got the impression that visiting fans were the subject of some very harsh treatment by some police forces .

• Advertisement

No, but in the case of football, which is much more passionate than most sports, mostly due to the scale of the sport, UEFA have to be able to manage things properly.

PHB wrote:
    No, but in the case of football, which is much more passionate than most sports, mostly due to the scale of the sport, UEFA have to be able to manage things properly.

The trouble is, you cannot expect a football association to be responsible for what goes on outside the stadium, or you could ask the FA, for example, to ensure only ticketted fans travelled to away games. Also, regardless of whether you think it's right, a sensible person with no tickets isn't going to expose themselves to the virtues of Greek/Turkish/Irish or whatever police of dubious quality, and if they do should have no cause to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the touts need to be eliminated. UEFA need to make it nigh on impossible to transfer tickets. part of the problem imo is that an excess of fans go over on the off chance of picking up a ticket from touts etc. if it were that these fans were to have a slim to nil chance of getting into the stadium then we would see a lot less fans over imo,

this wouldn't solve the problem, but i believe it would help lessen it. it would at least bring down the numbers who travel a bit and make them a bit more manageable (and have less idleing outside stadium etc. away from police), so hopefully police forces would be able to exert a greater level of control on fans should disturbances occur.

Tickets need to take the next stage in development. Link it to some ID card for football fans. Know everything about them in terms of what games they go to, what seat they are in, what tickets they bought.
    Allow people to swap tickets through the club if that's the case, but make it contingent on your ID. If that happened, all touts would be eliminated, all violence would be kicked out of the stadium, and happiness would prevail :)

nipplenuts wrote:
    I knew they would be. Just like the Spanish police were for the trouble when Spurs visited

Unless you were there and witnessed what happened in Seville, then I suggest you wind your neck in.

I was there, and had the bruises to prove it after.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Tickets need to take the next stage in development. Link it to some ID card for football fans. Know everything about them in terms of what games they go to, what seat they are in, what tickets they bought.
    Allow people to swap tickets through the club if that's the case, but make it contingent on your ID. If that happened, all touts would be eliminated, all violence would be kicked out of the stadium, and happiness would prevail :)

I suspect a large number of touted tickets came from the UEFA ballot, which is completely random.

Well like, the UEFA ballot I got tickets in, and my Dad ended up going, but i'm sure loads of people apply, and hope their team gets to the final, and then they don't, and they sell their tickets.

Advertisement