Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Offical Liverpool - Milan Champions League Final Thread (before during & afters)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We need someone who can be a threat from LM, for me, Riise is possibly the best left sided midfielder of his kind in the world, strong, can defend, a threat from far out, and a workaholic.

I'd play Kewell LM, and Riise LB, the LM needs to be able to get forward, if Arbeloa plays at LB, Riise will be helping him out, which defeats the point.

Play players who are comfortable in those positions, now this is Rafa, so he may switch Arbeloa to RB, Finnan to LB, and put Gerrard on the left, and Pennant on the right ;)

Who knows, personally I'd put peachy bum at LM (he's a good omen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

> That's an interesting fly in the ointment.

With Zenden out, I think that is a blessing in disguise, as it gives Rafa 100 less permutations in his mind, and Liverpool's capability is not effectively reduced.

I too would play Riise at left midfield as his pace coming up and lethally hard shots could help unlock a Milan defence. A lot would depend on Arbeloa's confidence though, and only Rafa can judge that. We dont want a player that crumbles under the occasion of it all. We also have a young Agger on the same side of the defence, so that could be an chilles heel.

Rafa still has the age old dillema for him as well. Does he play 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2?

In a 4-2-3-1 he could go with Gerrard in the cente of that 3. And Pennant and Riise. Crowding out midfiled with 2 deep (which he would play in 4-4-2 anyway) could nullify Kaka.

choices, choices ... I can hear Rafa's mind whirring away ...

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i'd fear for us a bit if we play arbeloa at LB as thats probably gonna be milans main point of attack with oddo and kaka, and as mentioned 2 lesser experianced defenders on that side could put us in trouble, especially when one of them doesnt seem in the best of form/confidence at the moment. for me riise has to be back there, at least at the start, to keep us tight and confident for the all important first 20mins or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads, sorry, this bet is incredible.

To Lift the Cup in a Penalty Shootout
    AC Milan 8 - 1 Liverpool 8-1

On paddypower.com

8-1 on Liverpool to win on penalties! That's a fantastic bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I really can't see this one going to penalties. Fair play to the Pool for getting this far...but I think they'll be outclassed on the night. 2-0 Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I doubt it too, though the number of big games that end in a shoot-out these days is geting silly.

Mike.

Have to say though...it's great to see the pool fans get a big night. United had the leage and the cup final today...it's good to see both teams up there at the end of the season.

I think if it gets to shootouts, Liverpool with their record are good favorites. And considering the amount of games in Europe that Liverpool have ended in a draw, then I can really see penos being a possibility.
    8-1 with 15 quid on it should make me feel pretty good about Liverpool winning the CL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I honestly dont see why people are glad to hear that Zenden is out. It is clear that he adds a LOT o the team in terms of character and tactical knowledge. And rafa has stated this on a number of occasions. He gets back to help out Riise who at times has looked extremely vulnerable defensively this season.

This has really upset the apple cart and i'm sure if he is not fit enough to make the squad at least Rafa will be hugely disappointed. Don't underestimate the impact Bolo makes on Rafa's plans.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    I think if it gets to shootouts, Liverpool with their record are good favorites. And considering the amount of games in Europe that Liverpool have ended in a draw, then I can really see penos being a possibility.
    8-1 with 15 quid on it should make me feel pretty good about Liverpool winning the CL :)
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i'd fear for us a bit if we play arbeloa at LB as thats probably gonna be milans main point of attack with oddo and kaka

Djimi Traore LB in 2005 didn't hinder us in the end did he? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kaimera wrote:
    Djimi Traore LB in 2005 didn't hinder us in the end did he? :p

Not right at the end no, but only because he didnt take a peno. The 120 mins before that tho............

i just dont think its worth sacrificing our strongest back line to try and add impetus to the front. With pippo the offside trap could be important, lord knows how he camps right on the offside line, riise is more comfortable with it for pool. im still of the opinion that all round, all things considered, Pennant right and Gerrard is the best way to go (if its a 4-4-2 of course), keeping our left flank strong enough, putting gerrard near kaka, and also taking on oddo whos good going forward but not so good defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Not right at the end no, but only because he didnt take a peno..

lmfao. vg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

the nerves are getting to me now - 4 days!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:

Hmm, think you have your facts wrong PHB. Liverpool have played 14 games in Europe this tournament (including the qualifiers) and 2 have ended in a draw.

Maccabi Haifa - 1 - 1
    PSV 0 - 0

Well, I wasn't just thinking about this year, I was thinking about previous years aswell, and when I say draw, I'd take the Chelsea game as an example of Liverpool getting a draw, as it was played as such. Either way, I'm happy with my bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Right lads, im off to the airport now in a bit. Hopefully when I get back next Sunday it will be after a week of celebrating (in the stadium on Wednesday , fingers crossed). Hope theres an entertainign thread to leaf through when I get back .:)

Have a good one. Is'nt great that some of us can take a week off in Athens to watch 90 mins (only!) of footie! ;)

Mike.

ok, one last chance Ste. are you SURE you dont wanna swap places with me? Huh? Please? ...

...have a good one anyway!

• Advertisement

Everything is free to see on either Monday or Tuesday, I can't remember which, but find out. You can see all the stuff in Athens in one day if you get up early.

Also, gyros are the best drunk food in the world, and incredibly cheap. If you are looking to watch the playoffs, Mike's Irish Bar shows a ****load of matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Anyone else planning to re-watch the 2005 final?

I think I'll stick the DVD on and watch it all, maybe tuesday :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:
    Well, I wasn't just thinking about this year, I was thinking about previous years aswell, and when I say draw, I'd take the Chelsea game as an example of Liverpool getting a draw, as it was played as such. Either way, I'm happy with my bet

No - its a good bet. I think I might put 10 quid on it aswell. Is it only online or can you walk into a PP and do it ?

if yer putting money on pens, you may as well throw 2 euro on the other outcome to cover yourself, otherwise be kicking yourself! I had both Pool and Chelsea to win on pens in the semi final at 18-1 each!

Its worth a few euro's alright definately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Stekelly wrote:
    Right lads, im off to the airport now in a bit. Hopefully when I get back next Sunday it will be after a week of celebrating (in the stadium on Wednesday , fingers crossed). Hope theres an entertainign thread to leaf through when I get back .:)

Enjoy yourself :) , I'm green with envy, really really wish I could be over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rumour has it Alonso will not feature in the starting line up on Wednesday. Tough on him but he only has himself to blame as his performances havent been up to his standard for the last 2 years.

That would be risky, Sissoko and Masch would be high-wire/no net.

Mike.

theres always the chance he could put out something similer to the starting linup against chelsea with both Gerrard and Masch central, and go for the game.

This is something similer to what he did against Milan as well before when he went for alonso and gerrard, but making it more defensive with Mascherano instead after how disasterous that was.

I dont think this would be a very good idea though, while we withstood chelsea easily enough with that midfield i think Milan will be much tougher there.

Id def have masch and alonso central anyway.

I don't think Liverpool can out play Milan in a classic 4-4-2, and I think Rafa will have realised that after the first half in 2005. It'll be a 4-5-1, or a 4-4-1-1

PHB wrote:
    I don't think Liverpool can out play Milan in a classic 4-4-2, and I think Rafa will have realised that after the first half in 2005. It'll be a 4-5-1, or a 4-4-1-1

a new notion of a formation just occured to me there considering the injury problems on the left;

Reina
    Finnan----Carra----Agger----Riise
    Masch----Alonso

Gerrard
    Pennant
    Kuyt--
    Crouch

We know Kuyt can do a job in that position anyway, and would give a bit of scope to him and Gerrard swapping around who attacks through the center and who goes a little wider. Also allows for Kuyt to be arriving at the back post for crouchs flick ons and pennants balls into the box.

I think this is my preferred formation at the moment.

<EDIT>

Off topic, Lucas Leiva playing for Gremio tonight at 22.10 our time, 2 sopcast streams for it on www.rojadirecta.com so we can have a glimpse of the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i fully expect liverpool to try and strangle the life out of milan, they'll be given no space at all and be chased down all over the park. the complete opposite to the match vs utd in the san siro. i dont expect liverpool to try and "out play" milan at any stage of the game, and why try? it would be suicide.

rafa has improved the squad, and while it is better than 2005, it is still a limited team. they're still not good enough to be trying to out play teams like milan.

milan will have to score first and early if its to be any sort of entertaining game i reckon, but if its a dull game and liverpool win it on peno's i wont particularly care, i just want this season over, i'm sick of the sh!t served up by pool at times this year and tbh winning the champions league would flatter us big time. not to take away from some fine victorys in the champions league, but we've been very average in the other competitions.

Call_me_al wrote:
    Rumour has it Alonso will not feature in the starting line up on Wednesday.

I hope that rumour is wrong. I would prefer to see an Alonso-Mascherano partnership in either a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1.

Redspider

The Mark Gonzalez Interview ...
    Mark, as the man who scored the goal that helped Liverpool get through the Champions League qualifier against Maccabi Haifa back in August, how do you feel as the final approaches?

I'm very happy about that. I was thinking about it the other day with my family. It was very exciting for me to score the winning goal on my first game for Liverpool. I'm glad to have played a part in this season's Champions League campaign. Now we have the chance to finish the season in the best way possible and I'm really looking forward to being involved again.

It's been a difficult first season for you at Anfield in terms of injuries but you could end it with an appearance in the Champions League Final...

Yes, it's been very complicated. I haven't played regularly and injuries have not helped my cause. The team has done tremendously well to reach the Champions League Final and I've been trying my best to be involved as much as possible.

How exciting is it to be involved in a game as big as this in only your first season at the club?

It's hard to explain just how exciting it is. I'm 22-years old and to be involved in the Champions League Final is unbelievable. If I'm selected to play it would be the best thing ever, topped only by winning it. It's definitely the biggest thing that's happened so far in my career and it's just a great feeling at the moment.

What are your memories of watching Liverpool win the Champions League in 2005?

I'd just had an operation on my knee and I was watching it in bed at home. I could hardly move and at 3-0 down it was beyond my wildest thoughts that Liverpool would come back to win. I was very upset but then they fought back and I somehow found the strength to jump up and down on the bed. I was so delighted. I hadn't even signed for Liverpool then, it had only been rumoured that I was going to join, but I felt like one of the team. It was strange feeling but my happiness at seeing them win the cup was so big. Finally I got to sign for Liverpool and it was so good to say I played for the Champions League winners.

There's a lot of competition down the left hand side with yourself, John Arne Riise and Harry Kewell, does that make you more focused as the big game draws closer?

Yes, of course because it means I have more competition for a place. Harry came on the other day and did very well. He'll be an important player for us. It will be a difficult decision for the boss because he has to decide who's not going to play.

As one of the youngest members in the squad, which team-mates have you turned to for advice?

The more senior players do give the younger players, like myself, Daniel (Agger) and Momo (Sissoko) advice but I couldn't really pick out any particular individual. In my case, it hasn't been the best of years for me and I know I can do more, so I'll gratefully accept any advice. Maybe, in a couple of years when I'm more experienced, I can be the one giving the advice out.

You say it hasn't been the best of seasons for you but what do you put this down to?

It's just my opinion but I think I have to be more consistent. This year, I feel as though I've been unlucky in terms of injuries and dealing with things I've never had to before. English football is totally different and I don't want to use that as an excuse but in many ways it's difficult to arrive somewhere strange and adapt straight away. Next year I hope to have more chances.

There have been rumours that you might not be here next year and are possibly looking to go back to Spain...

I have a three-year contract with Liverpool but you never know what will happen. I'm hoping to stay. Of course, I would be very sad to leave, but at the moment I'm here. All I'm focused on is the final and I would love to be involved again next season.

Should you play in Athens, do you feel your pace can hurt an ageing Milan defence?

If I play, yes that's the idea. I will use my best weapon which is my pace and try to do my best for the team. The likes of Maldini and Nesta are not the youngest players but they're very experienced and we must match the quality of each player.

Liverpool have already beaten Chelsea and Barcelona this season, how do you think Milan compare?

Well my team mates played against them two years ago and most of them know how we can play them. We have a lot of new players and the majority of their team is the same. I think we have more quality in the team and it will be a totally different game. They think it will be quite easy saying that we are less than Manchester but we're really confident of what we can do. We're confident that we can beat them again.

What influence has Benitez had on your career?

A lot. Just being here, even if I'm only playing a few games makes me a bigger player and instils me with more confidence.

The fans were very important in Istanbul, how big a part do you think they will play in Athens?

I think it will be quite similar and it's just a shame that there's not enough tickets to go round. The level of our support is just amazing.

Jamie Carragher doesnt want to leave ....
    Jamie Carragher has given Liverpool fans the perfect pre-Champions League final boost by insisting: "I never want to leave."
    Carragher is in talks with the Reds over a new deal and admits he can't contemplate life away from Anfield.

"I never want to leave Liverpool and I hope I can get my contract sorted out as quickly as possible," he said.

"I want to stay here for the rest of my career. I'm not interested in this new FIFA rule where players can buy themselves out of their contracts. I know it's there but I don't know anything about it because it's something I wouldn't do.

"My ambition is to wear that red shirt as long as I can and I'd be absolutely gutted if I ever had to leave."

Carragher is preparing for the Reds' biggest game for two years against AC Milan on Wednesday night and he insists there will be a lot of envious people watching events unfold at the Olympic Stadium.

"United and Chelsea finished the season 20 points ahead of us, so there's no way I'm going to say we are better than they are.

"But I think Chelsea would swap what they've done this season for a place in the Champions League final.

"Manchester United hadn't won the league for a few years and they were desperate to get the title back, so that was their priority.

"But I am sure they will be watching on Wednesday night thinking of what could have been for them as well.

"The main thing in football is winning. Winners are the ones people remember. And I'm sure Arsene Wenger would swap places with Rafael Benitez right now even though Arsenal are supposed to be a team who play the best football anyone has ever seen."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6676849.stm

Hanson is a bit too confident i think !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just a little :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

~Rebel~ wrote:
    a new notion of a formation just occured to me there considering the injury problems on the left;

Reina
    Finnan----Carra----Agger----Riise
    Masch----Alonso

Gerrard
    Pennant
    Kuyt--
    Crouch

We know Kuyt can do a job in that position anyway, and would give a bit of scope to him and Gerrard swapping around who attacks through the center and who goes a little wider. Also allows for Kuyt to be arriving at the back post for crouchs flick ons and pennants balls into the box.

I think this is my preferred formation at the moment.

personnaly, i think that would be madness. how may times has kuyt played there this year? i wouldnt go changing to a completely new formation for the biggest game of the year

Madness? Thats it then, Rafa will pick it! :p

Mike.

• Advertisement

Reina
    Finnan----Carra----Agger----arbeloa
    Gerrard---Masch---Alonso
    Riise
    Kuyt

Crouch

theres your formation and team for the match, i guarantee.

if i'm wrong, may we all somehow have the worst most depressing wednesday of our lives.

i dont think rafa has any trust for pennant, and the options on the left are limited, rafa likes to have possibilitys so he'll keep kewell for the second half when milan will tire.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say liverpool will win, i may have just cursed us all to hell, but i think pool will win, because i dont think theres any way that milan can. kaka will just be smothered, seedorf will be anonymous and pirlo and gattuso are no threat going forward.

i think liverpool will strangle milan and there will be no supply line to milans strikers. milans only hope will be a set piece or a stroke of genious from kaka, which i wouldnt rule out btw.

2 - 0 to pool says i.

i think the worse thing that happened to milan was playing man utd off the park 3 weeks ago, it showed their hand big time, if liverpool were not prepared for them then they are now. rafa got it wrong from the start last time, rarely, if ever does he get it wrong twice. i predict he wont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i wonder if rafa will be obsessed with controlling kaka. All the media hype is of controlling Kaka, how he will have to play a holding midfielder, he also know what he did in the first half in 2005. however, if he does make mascherano man mark him, it could leav a lot of room for seedorf and pirlo to play around. While obvioulsy you have to do something about kaka, i wonder if it will get inside rafa's head

Man-marking doesn't always work, it has to be done at an incredible high level. I'm not sure that Mascherano or Sissoko is of the quality of say Hammann back in 2005.
    I think both are required to keep Kaka in check, and I think we might see both.

Well we know what United didn't do against Milan. They allowed Gattuso and Pirlo loads of the time on the ball while leaving Kaka in loads of space so the boys could pick him out. They then allowed the Milan wingers/wing backs as much space as they wanted down the wing so that Kaka and Seedorf could stretch the play out to them. This was facilitated by none of United's players tracking back or putting Gattuso and co under pressure.

I am pretty damned sure that none of the above will be allowed to happen on Wednesday night. The only question that remains is whether we can score.

I feel that the only times Liverpool will be exposed is on the break if they commit too many forward, make a silly mistake or from a set piece. The silly mistake and set pieces are my main fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

jackdaw wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6676849.stm

Hanson is a bit too confident i think !!!

jesus christ

"Liverpool are going to win the Champions League final - I am absolutely 100% confident of that."

i'll be quoting this in work tomorrow :P

VinnyL wrote:
    jesus christ

"Liverpool are going to win the Champions League final - I am absolutely 100% confident of that."

i'll be quoting this in work tomorrow :P

from the same dude that said "you dont win anything with kids". nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭$lattman

If it goes to peno's, which I hope to god it doesn't, don't think my heart can take anymore, would you say Reina will do the wobbly legs routine!?

No..

$lattman wrote:
    If it goes to peno's, which I hope to god it doesn't, don't think my heart can take anymore, would you say Reina will do the wobbly legs routine!?

i'd say milan would do the wobbly leg thing if they had to play pool in a peno shout out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

el rabitos wrote:
    i'd say milan would do the wobbly leg thing if they had to play pool in a peno shout out.

Yeah - esp given our track record in shoot outs. Been in 11 and won 10 of 'em.

z. starting to get in the mood for Wed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

What's with all the emphasis being placed on the Liverpool supporters recently? Sure, Liverpool crowds have always been awesome, but I can't help but feel the players/officials have been asked to point out the obvious at every opportunity. Perhaps an attempt to help boost attendances/sales by manufacturing a more loyal unity between team and fans?

I'd just play one defender; Carra can do it. And it'll free up space for the five strikers we're gonna need to score a goal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement