Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Offical Liverpool - Milan Champions League Final Thread (before during & afters)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

At home, in my room alone!

I can't be around people as I become a nervous, irritable wreck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

At home. Too much to do.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'll be strewn over the middle and end cushions of the larger sofa in my living room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

at home cheering for a draw

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

county wrote:
    at home cheering for a draw
    Who are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

at home in my new gaff. might pop down to the local 5mins away, we'll see how it goes.. C'mon the pool.

Brother went over to liverpool this morning on the ferry.. straight into liverpool, I'd say the place will be mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My exam dates were changed so my final exam is tomorrow morning at 9am :(:( so probably watch in college bar as trying to get as much done as possible before the match - win or lose i dont think ill have the concentration levels afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Davin Arms, Ennis road, Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Gattuso v Gerrard is where this game will be won and lost. Gattuso was awesome in both games v Man Utd it was only when he went off injured in the second half of the first leg that Utd's midfield had the upper hand in the two games, I know Utd played poor but how much of that was down to the performance of Milan especially their midfield. Gerrard was inspirational in the second half v Milan it was funny to hear the "he can f**k off to Chelsea because he doesn't want to play for us" comments of some Liverpool fans at half-time in 2005, oh the fickleness of football fans.
    If the Milan team are up for it as they were in the second leg of the Semi-Final (and they should be for revenge for 2005) then 2-0 or 3-0 Milan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

patmac wrote:
    Gattuso v Gerrard is where this game will be won and lost. Gattuso was awesome in both games v Man Utd it was only when he went off injured in the second half of the first leg that Utd's midfield had the upper hand in the two games, I know Utd played poor but how much of that was down to the performance of Milan especially their midfield. Gerrard was inspirational in the second half v Milan it was funny to hear the "he can f**k off to Chelsea because he doesn't want to play for us" comments of some Liverpool fans at half-time in 2005, oh the fickleness of football fans.
    If the Milan team are up for it as they were in the second leg of the Semi-Final (and they should be for revenge for 2005) then 2-0 or 3-0 Milan.

i dunno about the whole Gerrard vs Gattuso thing. I think a lot will come down to Alonso (assuming he plays) vs. Pirlo. the game will be very tight and compact in the centre and i think it will come down the long passing of these two if we are to see any kind of penetration. i can see the midfield being bypassed a lot in this game, particularly by Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tusky wrote:
    That team has been in the papers alot...wonder why. If it is that team I really hope Pennant has a good game because there will be very little supply from Zenden. I would prefer Riise on the left and Arbeloa at left back.

Pennant was rambling on yesterday in a press conference how it is a massive achievement for him to be starting a CL final in his first season at Liverpool..

Playing Gerard in the hole is as much about pissing Gattuso off as it is about putting Gerard in his favourite position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote:
    Some comparative statisics

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=KY1UKDF4KDO51QFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/sport/2007/05/22/ufnstat.xml

Liverpool (as a team) have a better shooting accuracy and goals/shots conversion.

Mike.

Jesus, Kaka shoots even more than fat Frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why have thousands of fans with no tickets gone to Athens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

At home with my 5 week old daughter!

nipplenuts wrote:
    Why have thousands of fans with no tickets gone to Athens?

umm... so they can duke it out for the remaining tickets floating around from the touts (though it would have been obvious). did you not hear that around 100 liverpool fans (exaggeration maybe?) were supposedly involved in a tussle for one single ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a pilgramige for Pool fans. Some will go to the ends of the earth.

Mike.

i dunno about the whole Gerrard vs Gattuso thing. I think a lot will come down to Alonso (assuming he plays) vs. Pirlo. the game will be very tight and compact in the centre and i think it will come down the long passing of these two if we are to see any kind of penetration. i can see the midfield being bypassed a lot in this game, particularly by Liverpool.

It'll be down to the ref. Whoever loses will blame the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Call_me_al wrote:
    according to the beeb team is expected to be as follows:
                          REINA
          Finnan Carragher Agger Riise

Alonso Mascherano
          Pennant                    [B]Zenden[/B]
                  Gerrard
                       Kuyt

Well if that is the team don't be surprised to see the Milan Right Back coming onto the pitch wearing a pair of these

umm... so they can duke it out for the remaining tickets floating around from the touts (though it would have been obvious). did you not hear that around 100 liverpool fans (exaggeration maybe?) were supposedly involved in a tussle for one single ticket.

What I thought. But there's allegedly 20,000+ with no tickets. English football fans, no tickets, cheap booze. No surprise there's already been fan trouble and hospitalisations (apparently). At least so far they are only fighting among themselves......

**To paraphrase previous threads, it'll turn out the crowd trouble was Uefa's fault :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Belgard or the Submarine for me.

Anyone know what Trampco is like for watching the footie, mate was talking about heading down there?

• Advertisement

I'll be at home with a bag of crisps and bickies with a can of cider. Possibly a prayer mat too.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

at home in my new gaff. might pop down to the local 5mins away, we'll see how it goes.. C'mon the pool.

Brother went over to liverpool this morning on the ferry.. straight into liverpool, I'd say the place will be mental.

grand and handy amenities you've got there!!!:)

nipplenuts wrote:
    **To paraphrase previous threads, it'll turn out the crowd trouble was Uefa's fault :)

well they certainly wont have showered themselves in glory. 17,000 tickets is, quite frankly, disgusting and was always going to lead to a bit of aggro. plus they'll apparently have 5000 seats empty for advertising hoardings... it's an absolute disgrace. i'm actually surprised there havn't been more incidents reported over tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i was gonna go over if i had got flights for around the 600 mark and then pay 400 for a ticket, but it didnt happen. Hicks is trying to get UEFA to release the tickets of the italian fans who cant make it due to strikes. dont see it being successfull in any way.

Also they reckon there could be around 40,000 liverpool supporters there tonight, which would be amazing. I would say 30,000 would be more realistic but we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mike65 wrote:
    I'll be at home with a bag of crisps and bickies with a can of cider. Possibly a prayer mat too.

Mike.

Don't forget the rosary beeds :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Judging on past performance, and the suggestion that AC actually returned tickets, it could be almost like a home game for liverpool tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Call_me_al wrote:
    i was gonna go over if i had got flights for around the 600 mark and then pay 400 for a ticket, but it didnt happen. Hicks is trying to get UEFA to release the tickets of the italian fans who cant make it due to strikes. dont see it being successfull in any way.

Also they reckon there could be around 40,000 liverpool supporters there tonight, which would be amazing. I would say 30,000 would be more realistic but we'll see.

UEFA has officially confirmed that AC Milan are not returning any tickets for the Champions League final.
    They have stated categorically that no tickets will be on sale at the ground this evening

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156024070523-1252.htm

I have a good feeling. When i woke up this morning You'll Never Walk Alone was on TodayFM. Really set the tone for my day.

If Gerrard plays center tonight his performance will have a huge sway on things. His chance to show on the biggest stage that thats his best position, and after all the bickering with Gattuso, i think we'll see a Stevie G special, thunderbolt to the bottom corner. after a layoff from Kuyt.

Anyone know where i can get the Milan teamsheet as soon as its released? Pool's always gets released straight onto the website, but not all clubs do that.
    Yeats, do Milan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The sky news reporter in Athens said fans would be trying to buy tickets before the match for upto '£200 - £300'

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Milan have been talking about getting Gerrard under control and marking him out of the game.

do they not realise we have won things when Gerrard has gone a-miss before and he's not THAT crucial to our setup, although a fully firing Stevie would help us no end.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote:
    The sky news reporter in Athens said fans would be trying to buy tickets before the match for upto '£200 - £300'

:p

good luck with that. i've heard of fans who bought tickets for £1250. and that wasn't even in Athens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is Sissoko fit? If so I bet it's Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko and Gerrard in the team. ;) Kaka and Pirlo can't be given an inch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

King Head in Galway, heading in for 5 to get a seat and a bit of soakage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sissoko seems to be injured, although not confirmed yet. I think Rafa will play with those 4 midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 style formation if they are availible.

news coming into my phone is that harry kewel will start on the left...

news coming into my phone is that harry kewel will start on the left...

could that be an omen of things to come if true? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It's what I'm hearing too. He did look quite good against Charlton, but again that was Charlton.

any source for that hashslinging?

Rafa did mention in the press conference yesterday that Kewell is fit enough to play the whole game, so id say it all goes down to if Zenden is recovered fully or not.

history repeating itself!

• Advertisement

no just a text message ! will try to get a source

Slurms wrote:
    It's what I'm hearing too. He did look quite good against Charlton, but again that was Charlton.

Charlton should have beaten us. I was at the game and you could feel the relief when harry scored the peno. There was a bit of laughter when he came on but he was explosive and showed what he can do. Mascherano, on whom a lot of pressure is being put on was a disaster being the fault of definitely one if not both goals that charlton got.
    Christ I hope he has a good game tonight or we will be in trouble

id say we'll be ok with Masch if Alonso is there beside him. I really feel Alonso has to start though, we need him to try and dictate the game for us. Kewell i wouldnt mind seeing at all, but sur either way we'll see!

Serious butterflies now cant concentrate on anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

~Rebel~ wrote:
    id say we'll be ok with Masch if Alonso is there beside him. I really feel Alonso has to start though, we need him to try and dictate the game for us. Kewell i wouldnt mind seeing at all, but sur either way we'll see!

Serious butterflies now cant concentrate on anything!

Spent the last couple of hours in work reading the same threads and thinking about the possible formations. Cant wait for 7:45!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

~Rebel~ wrote:
    . Kewell i wouldnt mind seeing at all,

ditto, kewell should start ahead of zenden.

I really do prefer Kewell to Bolo but I can just see him in a heap at the end of Oddos foot about 20 mins in!!!

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    Spent the last couple of hours in work reading the same threads and thinking about the possible formations. Cant wait for 7:45!

one of my exams was moved to 9am tomorrow morning so i really need to study! Its just not working though! I know way more right now about the repercussions of zenden's injury, the advantages of arbeloa playing LB, the permutations of the midfield combinations and the pro's and con's of playing each of the strikers then i do about Digital Audio!

Oh and Kaka haunted my dreams last night, getting seriously nervous now !!

Just stuck a couple of euro on Kaka to be first scorer and Milan win at 10-1 and Gerrard to score in the 90 and Liverpool win at 6-1. One of those is bound to come up! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

personally, i thik it would be madness

he has around 45 minutes of football this year

to start him in the biggest game of the year could prove foolish

I hope your 6-1 shout comes in Mike

• Advertisement
Advertisement