Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro coverage in Athlone

Options
  • 14-05-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

LTRFTW

I've been looking for a broadband provider for the last few months. Being a new homeowner and not overly inclined to pay the eircom tax for a phone line that would gather cobwebs, as well as the glowing reviews here, I decided to get Metro. After a few phone calls establishing that yes, Athlone IS covered, I handed over my details and played the waiting game.

BUT! When the installer came he said there was a strong signal but zero quality. Seems like a problem, given that I live in a fairly dense residential area. So, who knows what the story is? What areas of athlone are covered, is there more coverage planned, do I have to go with IBB?

Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

I know this is of no help at the moment, but I'm out on the east side of Athlone close to Blyry Industrial estate and the installer is coming to check my house in about a week time so I'll update this thread when that happens.

I was told that Athlone is definitely covered and it should be OK, but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Glad to hear it! If anyone else has an experience (good or bad) of digiweb in athlone, please share!

The Digiweb guy just left the house and told me that they send the signal from the new town shopping centre, but Tyco are the problem in the East side of Athlone as the signal has problems getting past them for some reason.

The majority of Woodville cannot get a Digiweb signal, but I do know a guy in work that lives in the Orchards right beside Woodville and he has it so it depends on your location.

I think it's Eircom or BT now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Have you tried Lastmile??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

thegills wrote:
    Have you tried Lastmile??

they should be your very last option i would pay eircom at least you will have broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

iceman777 wrote:
    The Digiweb guy just left the house and told me that they send the signal from the new town shopping centre, but Tyco are the problem in the East side of Athlone as the signal has problems getting past them for some reason.

The majority of Woodville cannot get a Digiweb signal, but I do know a guy in work that lives in the Orchards right beside Woodville and he has it so it depends on your location.

I think it's Eircom or BT now!!
    Well that's a kick in the...

Thanks for the update though. I tried IBB but they first told me their LOS product wasn't available in Athlone, though when I mentioned I knew someone who had it for over a year this was upgraded to "the mast is at capacity".

I've finally gone for the 3 data modem package. It's good. Approx 1MB d/l, upload stinks but who cares, 10GB for €20 and you can bring it with you abywhere: had it down in a mobile home in Clare last weekend.

Still, this is a thread for posting about digiweb who do a very good voip & no rental package in Athlone.This is what we know so far:

Ard na glug: ?
    Cartron Drive: ?
    The Elms: No coverage
    Hillcourt: No coverage
    Cyprus gardens: ?
    Woodville: No coverage
    The Orchards: Coverage
    Cornamaddy: ?
    Willow park: ?

Apologies for going somewhat off topic, but this information may help others out there in regards to what company to pick.

Anyone I know that has Digiweb thinks it's the bees knees it's just that I can't get it, but 2 streets away from me one of the lads in work has it, but for me it's the angle of the houses from the town centre and damn Tyco getting in the way!!

I have been recommended BT and Eircom from friends as they are quite good once you get set up with them. I want to get a phone line in for broadband and Sky TV now that Chorus are cutting Sky Sports from their analogue package (you can't get Chorus digital in Woodville either), but that's another story for another day!! :mad:

I rang BT to get their Broadband and phone package and they told me it would take 6-8 weeks to get installed and setup, but the nice guy on the phone told me that it is actually Eircom that will do the installation for them and once they do it I get BT to sign me over. He then said that I could speed up the process by going directly to Eircom and get them to install it instead so off I went to ring Eircom.

Now getting Eircom on the phone is not a simple feat of endurance, but instead to cut the red-tape I did it all online, where I found out it'll take 4-6 weeks to get installed, but I did order a nice new house phone :)

Why am I saying all this? I work in the telecoms industry and if we told someone it'd take 4-6 weeks to provide the most basic service we'd be shot in the head, hanged, drawn, quartered and our body parts dragged through the streets. Anyway I ordered it and now I'll just have to wait.

But as I complained about all this hassle to friends in work one of the lads told me that Eircom have a customer charter and if they take more than 28 days to install a phone line they must pay me for every week they are overdue. It is minimal, maybe €5 per week but it is the principle of the thing. So now I'm trying to track down the charter so if I get it I'll add it on here.

Advertisement