Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Bertie not veto 'Bertie's Team'??

Options
  • 14-05-2007 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Without starting another thread on the very postable topic of Bertie's finances, I would like to ask FF'ers what they now make of Bertie??
    If I were a party member I'd be pretty pissed off by his behaviour over the past 2/3 months, he allowed the party to make him the focus of their campaign, knowing that there was a fair chance that these latest tribunal revelations would resurface pre-election, I say he knew, because, obviously he has been in constant contact with the tribunal for some period of time, he has also known from at least the start of April that the tribunal was due to restart at the end of April and that his finances would be under scrutiny again.
    Regardless of the rights or wrongs of his dealings, surely he didn't, nor the party certainly couldn't have wanted this controversy to overshadow the whole election. If he had kept any of his cabinet colleagues in the loop over this, would they have been so keen to have 'Bertie's team' as their main slogan, would they have wanted 'Bertie's Team' posters plastering every second lamp post?
    I certainly don't think so, but then I think he's probably a bigger liability than Martin, Roche and even Cullen at this stage. Incidentally, I was talking to someone who was talking to a FF candidate, who said that this issue comes up time and again on the doorpsteps, contrary to what we're being told by the media.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Bertie could have put closure on this back in October. But instead he chose to dripfeed the nation half truths in the hope that people wouldnt question any further. He wasnt so smart after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Discussed already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

I would imagine that the conception and printing of the expensive polluting posters took some time and it was simply too late to undo the Bertie's team slogan at this late stage. FF have to do what FF does best and bluster whilst grinning and bearing the consequences.

Can I say "water under the bridge" or does that stink?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

ateam wrote:
    Discussed already.
    My apologies

I would imagine that the conception and printing of the expensive polluting posters took some time and it was simply too late to undo the Bertie's team slogan at this late stage. FF have to do what FF does best and bluster whilst grinning and bearing the consequences.
    Yeah, but he's known this was going to come out at some stage, we know he was dealing with the tribunal in october, so when they came to him with the 'bertie's team' slogan etc, would he not have told them to maybe row back a little bit - or is he so crazed and delusional with the idea of taking 3 in a row that he thinks he can beat any rap - btw anyone see Scarface the other night??

As someone in FF I said he should have gone last year. I certainly haven't changed my opinion. He was a vote winner in elections up to now, notwithstanding any bounce in polls it was obvious that he was going to cause problems this time round. A leader like Hanafin or D Ahern would have been scandal free. Putting 'Bertie's Team' on posters compunded the problems. Haven't heard it once on doorsteps in South Kerry, would imagine Dublin is different, but still it certainly contributed to a momentum that now makes it very difficult to get a second seat when I would have put my house on it last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

wheels within wheels - FF know damn well that the winds are changing and whoever is in government next is going to have to sweep up the crockery when the whole house of cards comes crashing down... in which case, a couple of years opposition, lots of political capital made as they watch the FG/Labour coalition deperately try and pick up the pieces, and an election in three or four years time after which they'll get another ten year stint in government would sound like a sweet deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if "senior" FF officials are the ones handling these leaks, nor would i be surprised to learn that even the "Berties's Team" was a conscious decision.

/takes off tinfoil hat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Despite the controversy around Bertie's finances, he is still very much considered one of FF's biggest assets. I cant imagine there's too many other politicians that would go up in popularity after a scandal like he faced last October.

I personally dont like the man, and would never vote FF, but he's a total genius at playing the electorate. Anyone who underestimates Bertie's slyness is opening themselves up to getting completely screwed over by him. Even Haughey said Bertie was the most devious of them all, and that's saying something coming from him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's all about money. The Berties team posters qualify as national party spend with perhaps a small fraction going to candidate spend. That leaves the candidates more money to spend on their campaigns as they need fewer personal posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

athtrasna wrote:
    It's all about money. The Berties team posters qualify as national party spend with perhaps a small fraction going to candidate spend. That leaves the candidates more money to spend on their campaigns as they need fewer personal posters.

NO no no no no...all posters in a constituency are paid for out of the electoral limit in that constituency. (i.e. half of FF candidates limits go to the party nationally leaving only about 20k in a constituency. posters are valued at €6 each which takes a fair chunk of the rest and staff such as secretaries are also costed once an election is called)

On topic...I don't actually see that Bertie is doing the party any damage. Couldn't see Cowen leading us but Hanafin is becoming a frontrunner amongst the grassroots

Advertisement