Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This demonstrates what's wrong with society today.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Shocking Video....:eek:

They should FRY the Ba*tards arse !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dicebar

That is horrendous what happened.

I worked with two people from Mauritius and they couldn't believe the crime we have in Ireland.
    Just hear-say but they say when someone is being robbed in daylight everyone jumps in vigilante style and gets stuck into the criminal. The police have to come quick to protect the criminal from being battered to bits.

Another German friend says they have a Good Samaritan law in Germany. If you don't help someone or report a crime and you're a witness you can be prosecuted.

Reminds me of that last Seinfeld episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Oh dear , Some tried to stop a security van robbery

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/6690771.stm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Need more info before commenting. The report is notably sparse.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Over in the US, back in ye olden Wilde West days, when the Sheriff wanted a posse, it was private citizens who would rally to the call.

NTM

The term "drunken posse" must have some basis in reality. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

http://www.wkrg.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WKRG%2FMGArticle%2FKRG_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351434225&path=!news!local

Secondary school student decks without warning 60-year old teacher. 20 stitches. Has video.
    Harris' family attempted to storm out of the courtroom after bond was set, but bailiffs forced them to sit back down. One family member was held in contempt for swearing at an officer

I wonder what sort of upbringing the lad had?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

It's all because of the cult of individualism. It starts with something apparently harmless like bottled water and ends with watching a rape. People think they don't have any collective responsibility any more. Personally I blame liberal capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

The things is, we live in a world now where you dont know if someone will pull a knife or a gun out on you, so you let things happen because the risk is too high.

this is very true but we also live in an age where everyone from a 90yr old lady to a 10 yr old kid carries mobile phones, it only takes a second to call police and the attacker is highly unlikely to see you doing it.

I was in a shopping centre one day and there was a securicor van with an alarm going off, a loudspeaker from the van came into effect saying call police etc. It took me a min to react and I did look around to see if anyone else was doing it but they were all ignoring it, walking past yapping etc so I called the guards. I have no idea if it was false alarm but I couldnt not do anything just in case.

You also dont need to be in america for bystanders to remain bystanders, look at what happened that poor girl in Oconnell st a few months ago, dragged from outside dr quirkys to capel st - past a garda station might I add, past loads of people who apparantly looked on, and was raped in a stairwell of apartment block by a group of men. Apart from the street wittnesses surely someone in their apartment heard something going on in the corridor. You can bet that ALL those people had mobiles, some prob passed garda station and not one of them thought to contact guards. Fair enough you could say they thought it was a couple arguing but still I think it was that people just didnt want to get involved and chose to believe that bec its easier.

I know its impossible to know what you would do until youre in the situation but I was brought up to believe that doing nothing is taking part, I have taken out the mobile before to call a few times mainly over things I just thought looked dodge and in one case I stopped a guard on the street to give info, Im a 7 and half stone girl, if I can do it anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Jotter wrote:
    You also dont need to be in america for bystanders to remain bystanders, look at what happened that poor girl in Oconnell st a few months ago, dragged from outside dr quirkys to capel st - past a garda station might I add, past loads of people who apparantly looked on, and was raped in a stairwell of apartment block by a group of men. Apart from the street wittnesses surely someone in their apartment heard something going on in the corridor. You can bet that ALL those people had mobiles, some prob passed garda station and not one of them thought to contact guards. Fair enough you could say they thought it was a couple arguing but still I think it was that people just didnt want to get involved and chose to believe that bec its easier.

Let's take this evening in good auld Dublin city centre. I sitting in my apartment at around 7pm. So i hear some loud banging and when I look out the window low and behold there are some teenagers trying to kick the front door of the block in. Six of them from 14-16 maybe. So I tell them in no uncertain terms to f**k off. At which point them they demand I come down so they can show me how hard they are and various other threats. I'm not worried one way or the other but with six of the little scumbags I'm not heading down there. So I close my window and sit my ass back down on the sofa drama over. Next thing there is a loud crack when the rock hits my window. Luckily it was thrown at an angle so all it did was take a chip out of the window and not smash it. I picked up the rock afterwards and if it had come in straight on I'd be looking for a new double glazed panel. I rang the cops and they stopped them and they know them well. But none of them is sixteen yet so what are they going to do. They seemingly report their families to Dublin City Council as they are from the flats round the corner. Now I have to say I'm not going to be shocked if my windows get smashed after the fact.

The problem now in the city is no one sees anything. The guards are not brilliant but they normally will respond if someone actually rings them.

Advertisement