Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kelp Powder for dog use

Options
  • 14-05-2007 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know where to get hold of Kelp powder in Ireland, preferably Munster area?
    I hear a lot of the 'Show Dog' people use it.

Thanks in advance.
    gLo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

:confused::confused: What do they use it for?:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a supplement containing minerals, vitamins & amino acids. I don't see the need for it if your dog has a proper balanced diet and gets proper exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Glos

Thanks for your opinion, but there ARE cases where Kelp is helpful despite having a good, balanced, etc etc diet.
    Particularly in Greyhounds, that suffer from bald thighs due to thyroid problems.
    The Kelp, which is rich in Iodine, helps to combat this condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Point taken. To each his own.

You could order from this site:

http://www.pricesavvy.ie/a/productlist/idx/5070600/mot/Kelp/productlist.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Glos

Thanks for the link.

gLo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Kelp is very rich in iodine and can speed up a very slow thyroid a lot of humans use it to lose weight. It can also help joints and hair growth (so a glossy coat for dogs). It has been known to help hair growth.

I think because it can have a effect on the metabolism you should ask your vet also different brands contain different amounts of iodine and sometimes other stuff. You should ask your vet and ask whether it is ok, what brand to use and how much to give, how long to keep giving it to the dog and what side effects there might be.

I think a lot of humans find it helps give them energy and a friend said it helped his .....erm.... going to the bathroom in that he went more often.:o

I would ask your vet.

Advertisement