Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clampdown last weekend??

Options
  • 15-05-2007 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

i had heard they there was going to be a big garda operation last weekend around Letterkenny.
    lots of checkpoints and garda helicopters on patrol.

i was driving around letterkenny late on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, didn't see one checkpoint.
    i cant even remember the last time i seen a checkpoint, do they just decide they'll do lots of checkpoints one week and then not bother for a few weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

There was a sign at the start of the N15 here in Sligo saying "Warning" Garda Chopper checking speed".
    WTF? Is a "Chopper" a Helicopter or a Motorbike?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

There was a motorcycle cop in Lifford with a speed camera last weekend. He was standing behind a car at the turn off to the town centre on the approach from Letterkenny with the camera on the roof of the car. It was impossible to see him until you went past him. Everybody coming through the 50kph sign and doing a bit over the limit would definitely have been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ninja garda = chopper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Gillie wrote:
    There was a sign at the start of the N15 here in Sligo saying "Warning" Garda Chopper checking speed".

Was that an official sign or something penned by a member of the public?

Gillie wrote:

One who chops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

Gillie wrote:

no the garda have started using those bikes from the 1980's with the high handlebars, small front wheel and 3 gears between your legs.
    had one when i was 12, could reach 175mph if i pedaled really hard, there perfect for the garda chasing speeders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There was a bike-cop with his speed gun in Newtowncunningham on Saturday evening. A car was pulled in by a squadcar on the main Derry to Letterkenny road too, that evening. So there must've been a few cops out. I suppose they'll not be everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i'm a bit cynical, isn't there always a 'clampdown on crime' 'clampdown on anti-social behaviour' whenever an election is around the corner.. what next?, 'clampdown on illegal immigrants' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

what next?, 'clampdown on illegal immigrants' :rolleyes:

YES, in last weeks Derry Journal and Donegal News, garda are beginning to investigate more illegal immigrant workers employed here, after 5 where in court in Letterkenny. I think one of them got 4 months jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

On my way back to Dublin last Sunday I spied a Squad car in the distance at the bottom of the hill outside Mountcharles, so annoying to be out on a good stretch of road looking for easy targets!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

YES, in last weeks Derry Journal and Donegal News, garda are beginning to investigate more illegal immigrant workers employed here, after 5 where in court in Letterkenny. I think one of them got 4 months jail.

..sentencing illegal immigrant workers here in ireland, when our own government attempts to secure legal status for irish illegal immigrants in america.whats the word?

i've yet to read the story, so i don't know the circumstances, but if somebody is sent to jail for working, and that alone..:eek:
    i wonder how the media and irish people would feel if irish in america were sent to jail for working illegally.

imo this whole recent garda 'clampdown on..' is nothing more than election tactics by current government, projecting the image of being "tough on crime and immigration".

it reminds me of labour in the uk, where they're obsessed with "tough on crime"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

imo this whole recent garda 'clampdown on..' is nothing more than election tactics by current government, projecting the image of being "tough on crime and immigration".

it reminds me of labour in the uk, where they're obsessed with "tough on crime"

Its probably just Michael McDowells' Garda Reserves out training!:D
    Its the end of an era of spin with the demise of Blair and hopefully Michael Mcdowell will be put back off his soap box in a week too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Carrickman wrote:
    On my way back to Dublin last Sunday I spied a Squad car in the distance at the bottom of the hill outside Mountcharles, so annoying to be out on a good stretch of road looking for easy targets!!

They regularly catch people on that stretch exceeding 180km/hr which mostly end up in pursuits and rammings towards the border and use of the stinger device by border cars...

Ya real easy targets :rolleyes:

You can be sure they are not targetting people doing 105km/hr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Apparently they were patrolling in a helicopter above the termon to dunlewey Road, there was a (LED) sign in Termon warning about it, I got pulled over (not a checkpoint) by a squad car for TAX. Guards were from Donegal Town traffic division. first time I ever seen a patrol on that road,

Advertisement