Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennis bet 15th May - GET ON

• 15-05-2007 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Andy Murray v Filippo Volandri

Filippo is on the best run of his life (on clay) beating Roger Federer on his way to the semis last week.

Andy Murray was out injured awhile ago I think he still has abit of a back problem.

If Filippo plays like he did last week he should no problem beating Murray, on clay I think Murray so far is 3-6.

Andy Murray has been frustrated by his recent lack of progress on the ATP Tour, where he has not won in six weeks he is thinking about dropping out of the Davis Cup.

Volandri @ 8/11

GOODLUCK

Better stats taking from Betfair.

Murray's record on clay - last 10 matches, won 5 lost 5
    ..his last win abt 4 weeks ago (v stakhovsky)

Volandri has won 6 out of last 8 matches - all on clay, beating
    fed, gasq and berdych last week

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

I had 5,000 on

Moya @ 3/10
    Volandri @ 8/11

Murray just quit the match he was winning 5-1 I win the bet right?

Are tennis rules different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The leg that wasnt completed is void. Thats how the bookies do it anyway.

*edit* Its slightly different on betfair:

If a player or pairing retires or is disqualified during a match before its completion, the player or pairing progressing to the next round (or winning the tournament in the case of a final) will be deemed the winner. However if less than one set has been completed at the time of the retirement or disqualification then all bets will be void.

Yeah its void Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Only one leg is void, you get paid on the single at 3/10 (this was a double with moya right?)

I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Are you kidding? You should know a good thing when you see it. Your man was getting hammered 5-1 and chances are would have lost the second set too. Take your 6500 odd squids and be grateful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Big time man...You dodged an expensive bullet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

It is relatively rare that you get people giving tennis tips but in my experience the tips are overwhelmingly wrong. It's weird, at this stage I listen to tennis tips with the same bored scepticism that I listen to horseracing tips. What is it about tennis I wonder that leads to that? Apart from the fact that it is a fairly bent sport gambling wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

hotspur wrote:
    What is it about tennis I wonder that leads to that? Apart from the fact that it is a fairly bent sport gambling wise.

Eh, I'd have thought that with the big money in the game (a $1M dollar tournament every week) that it would be one of the sports least likely to be corrupt betting-wise.

I'd be more wary of the likes of snooker/darts where it may be more financially sensible to take a bribe as the prize money is so low.

Any links to tennis/betting/corruption stories that I've missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Yeah tennis is as bent as hell, it's not about taking bribes so much as the players themselves throwing matches for their own gambling. The whole thing blew up about 4 years ago and resulted in bookmakers changing their rules on tennis betting because it was so easy to fake injury and thus lose the match.

The big money doesn't make it down to those players outside the top 100 so it's mostly them, but not exclusively.

I don't have copies of stories but I've read numerous ones, a quick google search for likely terms will bring them up like tennis betting fix, tennis betting probe, tennis betting scandal etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭liamdubh

Personally I think there is quite a lot of instances of betting corruption in sport, usually, but not always, with individuals. When you see some of the prize money on offer. A low ranking player playing another low ranking player in a low ranking tournament in the 1st/2nd round for example. The player could make more from 1/2 of these than he could all year if he's clever about it.

I'm wary of betting on certain events.

Advertisement