Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Desktop problem

Options
  • 15-05-2007 4:59am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have two pcs at home. media pc under the tv and a main pc upstairs.
    Have both networked by cat5 and the network works fine.

But I cannot setup windows remote desktop software.
    I have it enabled on both systems but they cannot see each other.

Both pc's are under the same workgroup for the network.
    but hwne I try the "browse for more" option in Remote Desktop - It gives me an error saying that there are no terminal servers in this workgroup ??

Remote desktop is added to both AV software.

what else can I try ??

Thx
    K

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Can you connect with ip addresses?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

no - I tried that first with no luck.

Then by the computer names & finaly by trying to browse through the the workgroups - like you would do if you were setting up a new network drive.

It seems to be a setting of some sort - but don't know what.
    If I go to map a new drive - both pc's are there under the same workgroup but not in Remote desktop.

THx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Can they ping each other? Do you have an exception set for your local subnet or RDP itself on any software firewalls (or is this what you meant by AV software, either way if need be completely disable the firewall temporarily to double check)? You need port 3389 open, aswell as approving the executable if your firewall tracks application access (again only if you have not pre-approved your local subnet).

Terminal Servers are not the same as client PCs running RDP, they're dedicated multi-client servers.

yes both pc's can ping each other.

I have disbaled the firewall and checked Windows RD is there as an exception.

but still no access.

Instead of putting in the pc name or ip - I tried to browse for the connection like mapping a new drive and get the following.

"The Workgroup domain does not conatin and terminal servers"

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Have they fixed ip addresses - ive set all mine up with fixed ips and use these when logging into each machine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Why aren't you just using the Remote Desktop client?

Spear wrote:
    Why aren't you just using the Remote Desktop client?

If you mean windows Remote desktop under access-comms- then that is what I am using.

:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

karltimber wrote:
    If you mean windows Remote desktop under access-comms- then that is what I am using.

:)

And what error does that give?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

karltimber wrote:
    Remote desktop is added to both AV software.

Do you mean the client or the server? Have you tried disabling the AV to see if it works?

On the computer you're trying to connect to, run 'netstat -an' in a command prompt. Make sure you see TCP port 3389 in a 'Listening' state.

Might be worth trying to telnet to the server on port 3389 from the client ("telnet 1.2.3.4:3389"). Or use 'netcat' (google) or nmap to see if you can see the port open.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

try this
    computerA has userA in local user group (right click "my computer" then manage)
    ComputerB has UserB in local user group

if you are physically logged on to computerA, with userA

bring up the remote desktop connection,

you are going to log on to computerB via remote desktop and you will have to use the user name and password for a users account in the remote computers local user group (Local SAM), userB in this case.

note: to log on via remote desktop the user's account pasword cannot be blank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Just to echo - the machine you are logging into needs an administrator user -with- a password set to be able to connect.

Media pc def does not have a password setup on it.

will do that this evening and will report back

thx lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Might be worth trying to telnet to the server on port 3389 from the client ("telnet 1.2.3.4:3389").

You need to take out the :. Its just "telnet 1.1.1.1 3389" note the space and not the :.
    Anyway, if the client is listening it should at least present the login screen before telling you that passwords can't be blank etc.

BTW, passwords can be blank, its just by default the local secruity policy won't allow it, you can disable this, although its not recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Have the pcs got XP Home or pro... doesent home only offer a client and you have to update it?

both have xp

thx lads, will try this over the weekend and get back to ye

thx again,

K

Advertisement