Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating packed in!?

Options
  • 15-05-2007 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Just out of the cold shower!!
    Heating mysteriously died last night, noticed that it was chilly in the house, went to turn it on and no go!
    Anyone any ideas???
    Im in the Wood by the way.

Cheers! brrrrr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 essentialjc

hi mate, check your biloer in the kitchen - the bar level may be low...if so to fix this there is a tap (in our place anyway in the Grobe) in the boiler room on the landing - its at the back in the corner turn it and keep it open for a few seconds - then close it - hopefully the pressure would have gotten back in to your boiler, may be worth bleeding the air out of your rads also - happened couple times to us this year

if that doesnt work it could be the valve at the back tha releases the water in to the pipes - it is an electronic thing that moves when the heating comes on - that unlikely although that has gone on ours also! again this can be manually moved but I would suspect its the bar pressure on your boiler

I SHOULD BE A PLUMBER?!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Hi Suder!

I too am in The Wood and the heating system is very tempermental. If you look at the boiler gauge in the porch, to may be at zero. That means the water there is no water pressure to the bolier.

In the hot press, there is a red tap at the bottom in front of the tank, if you turn it anti clockwise, you are opening the valve, leave it for roughly 5 mins and check the water pressure gauge on the boiler. If it has increased to 1 but no more than 2, go back to the hot press and turn the red tap clock wise about 3 times. This is where the valve is ½ open and ½ closed and (hopefully) keep the water pressure gauge stable.

I noticed by bleeding the rads, the water pressure plummeted and had to do the above. If you are still stuck , you can PM me

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

Hi Suder,

A Wood-ser here also. As Plenty said check boiler in porch. If red light is on, check water pressure and go for the valve in the hotpress.

HOWEVER, please try and do this with one other person. One at the valve in the hotpress and another in the porch by the boiler to yell stop once the pressure has gone to 1. If the pressure goes too high (above 1.5) it will damage your boiler. This is very important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

From me and all the people who would have had to smell me tomorrow in work without the morning shower!!
    Fair play though, sincerely appreciate the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

If you can't get it sorted yourself you could try my friend Paul, 087 9611028. He is a great plumber and is now getting quite good at fixing Charlesland boilers etc. Oh tell him Stephen recommended him and ask for a discount :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rickoshay

Yes, the same thing happened to me about a year ago. I had to call a central eating ( person ). I had had my heating off for a few weeks and the pressure gauge/bar was too low. There is a switch in the hotpress that you flick on for a second or two and that seems to bring the pressure up. Also have you checked whether or not your pilot light is working.

See ya. :)

Advertisement