Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shame on Fergie...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

yeah i think saying "strongest" was a slip of the tongue.
    He didn't say strongest he said strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

BaZmO* wrote:
    He didn't say strongest he said strong
    in fairness, he said both, apparently. Look at PHB's post a few up, which is taken from Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Regardless of the wording...that team that went out was capable of winning the game....I think a similar team beat Everton a few weeks ago 4-2 away.

West Ham just wanted it more....

Who cares anyway....No more Warnock next year to listen to whinging about every decision that goes against him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't get what the problem is. We have an FA cup final to worry about, it's really irrelevent whether we won against WH or not. Alex shouldn't be expected to risk his best players just to appease those at the bottom. He started a decent squad against WH and gave the match the respect it warranted, while bearing in mind that he has to make the decision that is right for Man Utd, the shareholders, the fans, etc. -- BEFORE he has to make a decision that's right for Sheffield United.

But even that aside -- it wasn't a weak side at all!

van der sar
    o shea
    browne
    heinze
    evra
    fletcher
    carrick
    smith
    richardson
    ole
    rooney

bench - kuz, ronaldo, vidic, scholes, giggs

OShea and Richardson were the only crap players starting :confused: And then 3 of our best subs came on too!

That article is a load of sh*te TBH. Just begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ye also might wanna take a look at our line-up when West Ham beat us in December...........

MANCHESTER UNITED
    E.Van der Sar
    R.Ferdinand
    G.Heinze
    G.Neville
    N.Vidic
    M.Carrick
    R.Giggs
    C.Ronaldo
    P.Scholes
    W.Rooney
    L.Saha

Subs:
    T.Kuszczak
    J.O'Shea
    M.Silvestre
    J.Park
    O.Solskjaer

Is that a weakened side too? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

He did say he would play his strongest team and bar Rio and Vidic he did, he never said he would start his strongest team. As has been previously stated its Sheffield Uniteds fault they have been relegated, their fate was in their own hands and they blew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair, Rafa's midfield and forward line in both games (fulham and charlton) was quite decent, it was only in defence that we played weaker players. The only untested players that were played over the 2 games were Paletta and Insua. Insua has been playing great in the reserves so deserved his chance, and Paletta needs all the game time he can get to try and adapt to the prem. Yes it was a weaker team then could have been played, but saying they were strangers or a team of reserves is crazy - 2 non regular players. El Zhar came on as attacking midfield towards the end of the fulham game, quite failrly being given a chance since he's been performing very well for the reserves as well. Padelli in goal made a huge difference for the Charlton game, but we had no choice there with both Dudek and Reina out injured.

Uniteds team lineup was more then good enough. Ferguson owed it to the other lower clubs to not put out a reserve team, he didn't owe it to them to send out all his stars and get them going hell for leather the week before a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Utd's problem was that none of the players were going to risk getting injured, MOTD showed this, nearly every 50/50 challenge was pulled out of, there's nothing Ferguson can do about that, regardless of the team he puts out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Whoever thinks Fergie did not play a strong team doesnt have a clue. It was not his strongest but then again he chose to rest a few of the older(Giggs & Scholes) and banged up(Ronaldo playing with an injury the last month, Rio) players. All the players who started played in the CL this season. Unlike a number of the complete unknowns who played for Liverpool against Fulham.

As for how the players played, well the "tackle" that Brown attempted to make on Tevez leading up to the goal was one of those "oh I better not get too close in case I get a red card and I'll miss the Cup Final" tackles.

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote:
    Whoever thinks Fergie did not play a strong team doesnt have a clue. It was not his strongest but then again he chose to rest a few of the older(Giggs & Scholes) and banged up(Ronaldo playing with an injury the last month, Rio) players. All the players who started played in the CL this season. Unlike a number of the complete unknowns who played for Liverpool against Fulham.

As for how the players played, well the "tackle" that Brown attempted to make on Tevez leading up to the goal was one of those "oh I better not get too close in case I get a red card and I'll miss the Cup Final" tackles.
    i blame van der Saar entirely for that goal - tevez never should have been allowed to get a clean strike on the ball, van der Saar should have been all over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can't see that to be honest, I think Vidic or Ferdinand would have cleared the ball, Brown kinda messed up, but I think if it was the FA Cup FInal, he would have gone straight full force into that tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭destraynor

This is absolutely crazy.

It's not like he sent his team out to lose. West ham scraped it, just about. You can't demand a manager to play his strongest team risking injuries, tiring out older players just because Sheff Utd are atrocious at football.

United were weak. I have no doubt the crowd were disappointed. I saw them draw to Boro this season, probably their worst home performance this season, again the crowd were outraged. Again the starting team was minus a couple of first teamers, but you can't demand that a manager takes risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

PHB wrote:
    I can't see that to be honest, I think Vidic or Ferdinand would have cleared the ball, Brown kinda messed up, but I think if it was the FA Cup FInal, he would have gone straight full force into that tackle.
    and I rate Brown over Ferdinand any day

Lex Luthor wrote:
    CRAZY!

I understand some people don't like Rio, but Brown hasn't been better then Rio since Rio was at West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Tauren wrote:
    i blame van der Saar entirely for that goal - tevez never should have been allowed to get a clean strike on the ball, van der Saar should have been all over him.
    not sure about the goal but VDS has been quite poor in a number of games this season.the phrase "couldn`t catch a cold" springs to mind

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    not sure about the goal but VDS has been quite poor in a number of games this season.the phrase "couldn`t catch a cold" springs to mind
    better then that tommy k though (don't know what we ever saw in him, the guy is crap!)

Van der Saar has had a poor season imo - he has made some fantastic saves, but screwed up more then he should have, i don't think he has displayed anywhere near enough command of his area, even in comparison to last season. hopefully foster can nab the place next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

boooooo

I backed united to win the match, wrongly thinking he would want to finish the season with a win, and get over 90 points.

But noooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ever wonder why pretty much everyone at the highest levels rate Ferdinand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think we need to compare it to the team he put out against chelsea were he admitted it was a weak side. Obviously it is a weaker side than we are capable of puttin out, its a question of how weak/strong which like the majority of things in football is strictly opinion. Think there are alot more well known/ first team players in this team than the one that played chelsea.

Eagles, Dong, Lee, Kuzasck out for

Carrick, Rooney, Evra and VanderSaar.

Defo a stronger team and even a stronger bench, a bench which was used for the last half hour. Dont think there is a question united wanted to win the game, so many chances first half. Very frustrating game to watch, west ham made it like that. Acctually lots of uniteds games were like that this season, just once we got the goal we could push on.

Advertisement