Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bit of a smell

Options
  • 15-05-2007 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hey folks

Just bought a new place and recently there has been a nasty enough smell in the living room. It comes from the corner at the skirting board and its not poly fillaed in at parts so maybe covering it in might help....

Behind the stud wall is the bathroom and the bath wasnt sealed so i thought water from the shower might be getting in to the stud wall... but we aint used the shower or that bath we use another one.....

It only comes the odd time now and I was wondering if it persist will i have to stick a hole in the plaster board to get a look at it, might it be a pipe leakin very slowly or a mouse in between...

any ideas on what i should do

many thanks paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's a mouse then the smell will eventually go once the corpse has decomposed. But if it's a leaking pipe then you will obviously need to address it soon. Can you see any other evidence of a leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

If you don't use the bath or shower it's possible that the water in the U-bend has evaporated, so that you effectively you have an open passage to the sewers and that’s where the smell is coming from. So run the shower and bath to fill the U-bend !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

just a thought - check the light fitting in the room. sometimes the plastic holder can overheat if a to high wattage bulb is used and can give off a terrible smell like something has died

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Howya Paddy,
    get my no. off JK and ring me, i'll take a look tomorrow eve if you like, i might even train afterwards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Dec McC wrote:
    just a thought - check the light fitting in the room. sometimes the plastic holder can overheat if a to high wattage bulb is used and can give off a terrible smell like something has died

Yeah - I've had this before. It was a good while ago in my parents house and the smell was obnoxious. Well worth checking. If the fitting has any brown 'stains' then it could well be the culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 feorais

crosstownk wrote:
    Yeah - I've had this before. It was a good while ago in my parents house and the smell was obnoxious. Well worth checking. If the fitting has any brown 'stains' then it could well be the culprit.
    Hire a damp meter and see if it can find dampness anywhere in the room, worth a try anyway. Can you take off theskirting and have a gander? You might be lucky andsee what is causing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

thanks for the replies

eoghan only seen you reply there will call you soon.

took thie skirting off and the wall aint plastered clean to the floor so theres a gap between the floor and the party wall next door....

both the bathrooms are attched to thie party wall. I rang the engineer that looks at the house befoer i bought it and he said maybe next door neighbours extracor fan from their bathroom has a small leak in it and this is gettin through the block wall in the attic and down though the gap...

i rememer something like this happening in a neighbours house at home with tha fan on the cooker......

does anyone think this might be the problem... donjt know about the lights it only comes and goes..... would tie in niceyl with some one using the bathroom next door.... might try plastering the wall behing the skirting board and hopfully it will block the smell.... or should i appraoch the neighbour... bear in mind i only moved in a month ago... dont want to start asking him to see if his house stinks :)

any thoughts please thanks paddy

Advertisement