Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay - Been Had

Options
  • 15-05-2007 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I would be greatful if anyone could help me out here or point me in the right direction if possible . Ill try be brief as possible with my problem .

Ok after checking my hotmail this morning I noticed 20+ mails from ebay
    regarding Items which I had won ( crap runners and nike equipment from the usa ) items which I would never even go to the shop to buy , So I logged onto to my ebay account to see I have won 5 items , and 1 of the 5 had already been marked as payment recieved !!

Getting worried at this stage I checked my paypal and sofar no payment has been pushed thru or is pending .

I tried to contact ebay from their live help on their ebay.ie site ( not from a link that could have been a phishing site ) I was asked my prob then in my mind things got a little worse , the next question she asked was all of my personal details ,, Name , DOB , Address , postcode , ebay id and , e-mail address in order to proceed I tought this was very unusual and I questioned the person on the other end of the chat screen and their tone changed and they just could only say this connection is secure .... all very dodgy ,, hence I ended the conversation ..

Can anybody help me with a contact number for a REAL ebay helpdesk employee ? as you can imagine I am a bit dubious clicking links now incase there might be some kind of phishing going on !

Cheers if anyone can help or point me in the right direction !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/contact.html?

What link did you use previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Change your password on both accounts, to start with, from a secure PC. Run some checks on yours in case you have a keylogger, someone could be getting your details that way.

I don't think Ebay have phone support, when you're logged into your account there is a "Help" link, and you can choose an option there for "Account Security" (Report fake eBay emails, unauthorized account activity, or other safety concerns).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

It sounds like you were phished. Basically someone sent you an email apparently on ebays behalf saying theres a problem with your account or you won something you didnt bid on. In a panic you click the link supplied with the email without noticing it isnt really ebay but in most cases a clever clone site and when you log in you are giving your log-in/password to the people who sent you the original fraudulant email.

I work in computer security and see this all the time. If you want to pm me the addresses from the email I can verify them for you and if I'm right that they are phishes I can shut them down. In the meantime log into ebay and change your password.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Their live help has to ask you for these details.. how in Gods name do you expect them to verify you are the account holder without asking personal questions?

You might have just got someone who is not good at their job but thats how they work.. trust me, my wife works for them and tells me all about the idiots she gets on who cant follow simple instructions like changing email address if they think their account is being taken over etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Bear in mind that a hacker or a virus can change your hosts file so that when you navigate to http://www.ebay.com/ it might be mapping to a different location from the real Ebay, which looks similar to the original. As koneko points out, it is important to work from a PC that you know is secure until you find out what is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Since I began this thread I went back to ebay to change my passwords and hey presto some slimy scum had already managed to do it for themself on my behalf .. so looks like the account is def compromised !!

Ciaran500 ,

That was the same page I went through to get to the live chat page ,

koneko ,

Yep I went throught the Suspicious Account Activity page !! And as you suggested about keyloggers I reckon that how my pw / ac was compromised as my pc started to act v funny on thur and just wont boot since fri !!

Saruman wrote:
    Their live help has to ask you for these details.. how in Gods name do you expect them to verify you are the account holder without asking personal questions?

quote]

Saruman , totally agree but needing all the details at once ?? I could understand dob + userid but everything ?

Any how another update ebay have just sent me a few mails regarding the items I bought -- looks like issure resolved ( they have suspended my a/c for safety for a while )

From ebay
    "1st Choice - We ended the listing due to bidding activity that took place without the authorization of the owner of one of the accounts that bid on the listing. We have ended the listing to maintain the integrity of the eBay site and the bidder?s account that was accessed. We are working to restore the bidding account to its rightful owner, and we are working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorized activity.
    or
    2nd Choice - Due to privacy concerns, we cannot disclose the exact reason the listing itself was ended. However, we can inform you that we did not take any action on the seller's account for this listing.

"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

check your hosts file, if you think someone used a keylogger then they could just have easily changed your hosts file so even using a legitimate link for ebay you are redirected to a spoof page.

You can also on the lifechat request a verfy phonecall. You will not get support but they will call you to verify who you are. Usually they will ask to do this if they are unsure but in this case ask them to do it for you. Im assuming they have your number on file so do not give it to them if they do as that defeats the purpose.

And as others said, do it from a secure PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

how do u check ur pc for keyloggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

knighted wrote:

Won't be that... those emails say you have won an auction are always been sent to hotmail address.... they get your password when you click on the links on them...

as said change all password , and delete any emails that look like them come from ebay...

• Advertisement

knighted wrote:

Yeah knighted and all was ok and so were my virus and adaware / spybot scans so I presume my password was compromised from a work pc ( which more than likley could have been infested with sh!t )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

knighted wrote:

Spybot Search and Destroy will remove them for you

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/features/index.html

Advertisement