Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay - Been Had

Options
  • 15-05-2007 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I would be greatful if anyone could help me out here or point me in the right direction if possible . Ill try be brief as possible with my problem .

Ok after checking my hotmail this morning I noticed 20+ mails from ebay
    regarding Items which I had won ( crap runners and nike equipment from the usa ) items which I would never even go to the shop to buy , So I logged onto to my ebay account to see I have won 5 items , and 1 of the 5 had already been marked as payment recieved !!

Getting worried at this stage I checked my paypal and sofar no payment has been pushed thru or is pending .

I tried to contact ebay from their live help on their ebay.ie site ( not from a link that could have been a phishing site ) I was asked my prob then in my mind things got a little worse , the next question she asked was all of my personal details ,, Name , DOB , Address , postcode , ebay id and , e-mail address in order to proceed I tought this was very unusual and I questioned the person on the other end of the chat screen and their tone changed and they just could only say this connection is secure .... all very dodgy ,, hence I ended the conversation ..

Can anybody help me with a contact number for a REAL ebay helpdesk employee ? as you can imagine I am a bit dubious clicking links now incase there might be some kind of phishing going on !

Cheers if anyone can help or point me in the right direction !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

As you've guessed, it's a scam, and they can't do anything if you don't follow the link - and even Ebay themselves say never give personal details re. your account even if asked for them on their site! They also say that if messages are not on your Ebay page they are not valid - I had a scammer whose mail did appear on my Ebay - obviously an inside job. This is the best thing to do - go to the Ebay forum and post what has happened there - not alone will people rush to help you, but Ebay read these posts and eventually you'll get help. I had my id stolen, yes, my fault because I followed a link when I was accused of bidding on a car and then reneging - eventually I got advice on one of the forums (you'll find them on the ie home page, I seem to remember). If you haven't given any details to anyone, there's no need to worry - if you're logged in they wouldn't need them anyway, so that was peculiar. I presume your Paypal password and your Ebay one are different? If not, change your Paypal one - then no-one can access your Paypal so no payments can go out. I think what happened to my scammer is that he couldn't access my Paypal - you could also change your Ebay password if you're still worried - and make sure it's too complicated for someone to guess at with those programs I'm told they use. This is in case at some time you did follow a link with your password, which is being used now. Don't use your birth date or house number in your password, in case those details are accessible somewhere.

Advertisement