Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons warranty??

Options
  • 15-05-2007 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

I bought a camera for €800 yesterday in dixons and the salesman talked me into buying a 4 year warranty for €260.
    I usually never get warrantys like this.
    Is this worth getting as I dont think I will need it. The wife was with me and kept saying to get it.
    I have 14 days to get a refund and cancel the warranty.
    I will have a warranty with canon for one year anyway.
    The salesmans sales pitch to convince me was to smash the camera against the wall on the last day of the warranty and then get a new one or upgrade!!!
    I am more inclined to cancel it but the wife doesnt want to? What should I do?
    I have heard these warrantys are scams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its not a scam and its not a warranty, its an insurance policy.. so as long as it covers theft/accidental damage, loss etc including when you are away on holidays then its worth it for a camera with that cost...
    Remember insurance is just like gambling. They are betting you will not claim within the 4 years, if you do, they lose, if you dont they win!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Thanks saruman
    I have just read the small print and apparently the theft cover only works for the first 12 months on the 4 year policy???? This is strange.
    And if you do get it stolen in the first year there are many conditions, It cant be stolen from your car for example?????
    If it is in your house it has to be locked in a room??
    If it is broken do you know if they fix it themselves or if they will send it to canon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

As Saruman mentions it's a bit of a gamble alright.

The theft cover only covers the 12 months as mentioned but the terms and conditions are the same with most insurance with regard to theft! Most car companies won't pay up unless you can supply both sets of keys to them.....even if your house was broken into and they stole the keys they won't pay up!

Dixons will send the camera off to a company called mastercare who will fix it or get canon to fix it.

In my opinion it's worth getting on something like a camera or iPod as they damage very easily! Water damage and a short drop can cause a lot of problems indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Thanks catch-22
    I have seen you over on the boards photgraphy forum before. I was gonna post this over there but it seems to be down at the moment.
    It was a canon EOS 400D, It was €799. Had a look online and a few other shops and it seemed to be the avaerage price so i went to dixons as it is near me and for handiness sake.
    BTW it was €949 in harvey norman around the corner, so stay clear of that place!!!

man1 wrote:
    Thanks catch-22
    I have seen you over on the boards photgraphy forum before. I was gonna post this over there but it seems to be down at the moment.

Don't think that was me....there are a few catch-22's around here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

man1 used to work for currys and dixons - if on the last day of your warranty you smash it up, firstly they will try and fix it, if after 28 days it cant be fixed they will replace it with the SAME or EQUIVALENT model, therefore in 4 years time you will get the same specs that you have today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Well I just finished an eight-year stint in Currys and to be honest with you it's a little pricy, but considering the punishment a standard DSLR goes through it's very worthwhile and absolute peace of mind.

Call me al: It's 28 days within the first year and then 42 days (six weeks) under the extended warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Don't forget that a similar spec camera in 4 years time probably won't cost you €800. (It won't even be that in a few months time)

And judging by the poll I started recently

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055088428

Only 4 out of 19 respondents had bought and claimed on the warranty, there were no respondents who regretted not buying a warranty.

Regarding theft etc. your camera may be included in your house insurance policy already or could be added.

As for damage, are you the type of person who regularly drops/breaks/looses stuff? Some people are others are not. If you're not why pay for those who do?

If it fails in the first year you should be covered by a guarantee, and if it fails after that you might still get it repaired for less than the €260 insurance policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

It's crazy expensive. Personally I wouldn't be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Whilst its not a scam - its their biggest money maker. Very difficult to get satisfaction if you do need to claim.

As for theft, add it to your household policy under all risks - about an extra €10 a year.

Its a great camera. Canon will repair free in the first 12 months, if something goes wrong after, you may still be covered under sale of goods act, but generally it is considered a very good camera and its unlikely that something irrepairable will go wrong with it.

Take your wife for a weekend away with the €242 - much better value!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Call_me_al wrote:
    replace it with the SAME or EQUIVALENT model, therefore in 4 years time you will get the same specs that you have today.
    What about say an ipod. The battery should be fecked after 3 years with good use, would they replace it? there would be no similar spec ipods in the range so what would they do? Who decides on the "same spec", i.e. I can get 2 cameras with the "same spec" but one could be 5 times the price as the other.
    Very difficult to get satisfaction if you do need to claim
    Did you (or others) have a bad experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Originally posted by Rubadub

What about say an ipod. The battery should be fecked after 3 years with good use, would they replace it?

The Apple ipod extended warranty will only get you 2 years cover

http://www.apple.com/support/products/applecareipod.html

Most other warranties specifically exclude batteries!

Including Dixons Coverplan

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0751816728.1179330504@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceiaddkmemmgdjcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=GenericEditorial&genericeditorial=DixonsCoverplanServiceAgreement

(Point 9)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I recently had a camcorder replaced under the Coverplan.
    It met an unfortunate death, by seawater, and after it was not recieved back after the 42 days, they offered me a replacement.
    Basically I was given the original purchase price of the camera to spend, so i ended up getting a nice JVC HDD model out of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Would this item not be covered "generally" under home-contents insurace ?

FBP.

fatboypee wrote:
    Would this item not be covered "generally" under home-contents insurace ?

FBP.

A lot of home insurance will only cover products in the home etc. Depends on which level of cover you have. As with all insurance it can be very hard to claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

As for damage, are you the type of person who regularly drops/breaks/looses stuff? Some people are others are not. If you're not why pay for those who do?
    Having sold mobile's for years, most people tend to think that they don't throw stuff about.

OP, from my expereince I'd cash the warranty in. Personnally I don't think they are worth it. They are normally over 80% profit for the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

man1 wrote:
    I bought a camera for €800 yesterday in dixons and the salesman talked me into buying a 4 year warranty for €260.
    I usually never get warrantys like this.
    Is this worth getting as I dont think I will need it. The wife was with me and kept saying to get it.
    I have 14 days to get a refund and cancel the warranty.
    I will have a warranty with canon for one year anyway.
    The salesmans sales pitch to convince me was to smash the camera against the wall on the last day of the warranty and then get a new one or upgrade!!!
    I am more inclined to cancel it but the wife doesnt want to? What should I do?
    I have heard these warrantys are scams.
    Don't be such a sucker. Cancel it.

Advertisement