Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realistic transfer targets?

Options
  • 15-05-2007 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Rumours only, but Darren Bent and the French defender Kaboul are supposed to be done soon.

Also, a lot of talk on Dial Square boards of a move for David Bentley at Blackburn, which I would be very much in favour of...has pace, but more importantly a great crosser of the ball and takes a decent free kick.

Also talk of a move for Viduka, though whether he'd accept a regular place on the bench is up for debate.

TBH, I think talk of four top strikers is nonsense. we can't keep that many happy with Berbatov certain to start most games. I'd rather 3, with a 4th coming from the reserves in the shape of either Dixon or Peckhart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Ronan, no Viduka please.
    Dixon is injured all season.
    Bent would do fine instead of Mido so long as he knows he is on the bench.

My signing would be Petersen of Blackburn.

Out Ghaly, Mido, Gardiner, Murphy, Malbranque. Should be enough to fund 1 stirker, 1 LF and 1 LMF.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Morten Gamst Pederson would be a fantastic signing to solve our problems on the left!!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

I really liked Puerta of seville. Wonder what their wage structure is. If Mido is gone, and probably should be, we need a fourth striker of some kind. Bent could offer options, as he could team up with Defoe, Keane, or Berbatov. I wouldn't sell Defoe before christmas, unless the money was silly. Christmas transfers are always priceier, and early season injuries could kibosh our season. If we go with the three strikers we have, and Berbatov gets a knock, we all know Jol has no confidence in Keane/defoe as a pairing.
    Bale is an unknown quantity at this level. It's a catch 22, cos if Utd want him they will get him, whereas if they don't want him, what does that say? I like Baines and both Reading full backs. I would love to see a player like Chivu of Roma come. Kaboul I know nothing about. Gardner and all of the full backs save Chimbonda are only squaddies.
    Midfield is the key. Would Llungberg be an option on the left? Reo Coker, Barton, Parker, Nolan, all available at a price. Parker would be my clear preference from that lot. I would have one good try at prising Gareth Barry from Villa. O' Neill might do some swopping for some of our lads. Pederson and Downing are unlikely to come. No scumbags please. Diouf, Barton, Dyer and Anton top of that list for me. Dyer is a decent talent, but he's a sicknote . we must have learned that fitness is essential.

It should be fun- history tells the best deals are often done early in the window.

One question for the keener watchers- what of all the kids bought in dervitte Taarabt et al- they can't prove themselves in the reserves. Surely the league cup should see them get a run. One of them could save 6-7 million if up to the job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Bent-Can play with either Berbs or keane and will give us more options/Flexibility. Plus he is a great goalscorer

Baines-One of the best left backs in the league this season. Has a great left foot, is a good crosser of the ball and is stronger defensively than LYP.

Parker-Exactly what we lack in midfield a combative, hard working leader. Would be a great signing.

Pederson-May not be as glamorous as the Robbens and Nani's of the world but he is a great crosser of the ball, tracks back well and is'nt afraid to get stuck in. Would make a massive impact on our team.

Kaboul-Never seen him play or heard of him for that matter but he is the French u21 captain , is rated highly in France and if we're willing to spunk 7mil on him he must have something about him.

Distin-A controversial one maybe, but the fact that City are staying up despite their inability to actually score a goal says a lot about him. He has been tremendous for them this season and would be great to have as back up

galinka wrote:
    Bent would do fine instead of Mido so long as he knows he is on the bench.

Think eventually Bent would break trough as first choice partner for berbs. Only Henry and Drogba have more goals than him over the last two seasons,31 goals in 67 games and 15 goals this season all in that Charlton side who got relegated? Imagine him with Berbs beside him and a decent midfield behind him. He will score for fun imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

There is no way Bent will move to Spurs as a 4th choice striker.

And why would we pay £10m to leave him sitting on the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Only back after a spell on the sidelines, ankle ligaments :mad:

Id love to see us sign Bent, however Jol would have his hands full keeping them all happy. I dont think 2 of them would fancy picking splinters for large chunks of the season, then again with so many games, 4 quality strikers could prove to be invaluable !!

This may sound strange but I would love to see us sign a kicker/scumbag/destroyer for the middle of the park. Too many times, our central players get kicked off the park, Id love to see us sign a player that all fans despise, a player in the mould of graham roberts etc...

Im suprised nobody has mentioned Nakamura from Celtic. Great left foot which is just what we need and somebody who can hit a dead ball without harming the seagulls :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Think Viduka would be a great signing as back up. Infinetly better than Mido at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Martin Laursen-Sevilla.Can play equally as well in midfield or defence....mainly midfield (Zokora is brave but erratic at times and has a woeful shot for a professional player...I'd give him one more season to prove himself).
    Laursen's time at Villa was decimated by injuries and has played really well in Spain-strong in the tackle,unselfish and an intelligent passer.(??£15 mill)
    I'd be happy with Bent as the fourth striker although I'd really like to see Jol use his Dutch connections and move for Klaas Jan Huntelaar-the centre-forward at Ajax.Could be another Berbatov-tall,two feet,great touch,poacher.
    LB and LM are the main areas of concern.Wasn't too impressed with Baines vs. ROI-no doubt a good free kick but seems to use the same feint all the time to beat his man.Pederson or N'Zogbia for the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I would love this:

In:
    Scott Parker
    Joey Barton
    Alan Smith
    Matt Taylor or MG Pederson
    Viduka or Anelka

Out:
    Tainio
    Mido
    Ghaly
    Defoe
    Gardner

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Hatch99 wrote:
    This may sound strange but I would love to see us sign a kicker/scumbag/destroyer for the middle of the park. Too many times, our central players get kicked off the park, Id love to see us sign a player that all fans despise, a player in the mould of graham roberts etc...

robbie savage.
    i hate the ****er. but he does it.

• Advertisement

robbie savage.

Really think we should be going for a better class of player than Savage. We're supposed to be pushing for Champions league football.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

The fact of the matter is that spurs are aiming for the top 4 next season. therefor the transfer policy of buying potential targets must be replaced by buying established class players that improve the squad. Buying Gareth Bale, Kabul or any other untested players in the premiership will lead to another season of blooding these players, this could put the goal for the season at risk (top 4). I believe Berbatov will stay next season, but he will definately leave if we dont get qualification to the CL next season. Our squad is very good, only a few players required in my opinion to challenge the top 4.

Key Purchases

In

Morten Gamst Pedersen - an exceptional crosser, great long range shooting and he is an established premiership player. natrul left footer and will add height to a pretty small team overall. has more defensive qualities than malbranque.

Leighton Baines - Although Young-Pyo Lee has improved vastly this season, he is not left footed and is suspectible to crosses. Benoit Assou-Ekotto was a disappointement this season,however im expecting better from him next season but Baines represents a player that will at least add consistancy to the team. Again a natrul left footer will help the overall balence of the team.

Mikael Arteta - This player i belive would be a key player in the spurs midfield. Although he would probably be £15+ he would add creativity to the midfield, as well as much missed leadership qualities. If he could not be aqquired then Barton for £5-£6 would be good. If his mouth/temper could be quitened he has definate leadership and creativity which spurs currently do not have.

Squad Players

Darren Bent -£8-£10 With the almost certain departure of mido the 4th striker slot could be filled by Bent. Pace,Heading ability,great 1st touch and very good finishing ability, he would be an excellent foil for Berbatov/Keane.

Distan - Because of the outlay on the Key purchases Distan on a free would be a cheap option. Very expierenced and much improved for City in the last 2 years,he would provide competition for King/Dawson
    Out

Mido - Poor fitness, injury prone and at times seems uninterested. Maybe City might be still interested in a player exchange for Barton. Getting £3-£4 would be good business.

Ghaly - Not on the basis of the blackburn game but because the player is so inconsistant. Annoyingly good at giving the ball away and attempting impossible passes.if £2 could be got this would be great.

Gardiner - TG has heart and height but not much else. loyal and always gives 100% is not enough to save him in my opinion. he has the worst 1st touch i have ever seen!£2 would be good business

Defoe - This one is contraversial but he never passes the ball! Always gets caught offside. I understand his frustration that he never gets played consistantly and if chelsea or Portsmouth are willing to give £10 million then with under 2 years left of his contract it would be astute to cash in.Obvouly a replacement would have to be purchased. Tevez would be a dream but unrealistic

Murphy - Rarely played and probably on 20k a week. With the emergance of Huddlestone could be surplus to requirements

Thats it!!!!!

theduffer wrote:
    Darren Bent -£8-£10 With the almost certain departure of mido the 4th striker slot could be filled by Bent. Pace,Heading ability,great 1st touch and very good finishing ability, he would be an excellent foil for Berbatov/Keane.

Darren Bent will not move to Spurs for a place on the bench, and I can think of better uses of £10m than buying a striker who will be 4th choice.

Other than that some good calls.

Darren Bent will not move to Spurs for a place on the bench, and I can think of better uses of £10m than buying a striker who will be 4th choice.

Other than that some good calls.

Think people are underestimating Bent big time tbh. Okay he is not gonna be starting first game of the season, that is something he must earn, but I think he will earn it. Like I said:

*Only Henry and Drogba have more goals than him over the last two seasons

* He has 31 goals in 67 games

* He scored 15 goals this season

Now if he can do that in a relegated Charlton side with Marcus Bent as his strike partner what makes people think he will be our fourth choice striker?

No way are we buying him as fourth choice striker or even back up for that matter. If we buy him it is to compete for a starting place.

robbie savage.

ohhhhhh!

no, i didnt mean we should sigb him!

just that type of player. his antics aside, he is an absolute heart and soul player, doesnt shirk on 50-50 balls, and he gives 110%.

perhaps i should have said a roy keane or viera :)

but regardless of the example, spurs need this sort of player in midfield. a destructive, passionate captain. if they can pass, then all the better! i wonder would john terry want to play in centre of the park for us? :)

Reading Evening Standard in London tonight -

Distin to Portsmouth - free but how much wages.

Hargreaves to Utd - 25 Euro

See Mirror has our 4 "targets" - looks close, except for Reo-Coker.

galinka wrote:
    Reading Evening Standard in London tonight -

Distin to Portsmouth - free but how much wages.

Hargreaves to Utd - 25 Euro

See Mirror has our 4 "targets" - looks close, except for Reo-Coker.

Who are our 4 targets galinka? Always thought NRC would be a decent signing, we could pick him up on the cheap now and at worst we have a decent squad player but potentially we have a very very good player. Plus he has a lot of qualities we are lacking at the mo.

Think Distin would be a great shout as fourth choice CB. Much prefer him to Rocha tbh, bit sorry we showed no interest.

i think the 4 rumoured targets as of right now are bale, baines, pederson and bent.

i am hoping that we sign them soon. i want to get a good run of friendlies and training going before the start of the season.

They have Reo-Coker rather than Baines.

It looks like this Kaboul is a done deal at £8M but some of this only kicks in if we qualify for the Champions League.

Pedersen seems to be a two way straight fight with us and Liverpool for wait for it £10M. We offered £5M in January - now that's inflation.Jeez!!

Still think he is the player we need - last player i felt that way about was Chimbonda after last season.

Go on MJ do the business quick!

I love this time of year - the BS is great.

Oh and Ghaly wants to stay now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd also be in favour of getting rid of Defoe - it's an opportunity to unload an average goal scorer for above average money (the usual inflated cost of being a named England star). Mido - out the door too. Then buy Bent as number 3 and bring someone up through the ranks from reserves etc for 4th (or buy at Christmas if necessary).

Reo Coker could be an interesting one...

• Advertisement

SSN reporting fee agreed with Saints for Gareth Bale.

No mention of personal terms, so not finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

SSN reporting fee agreed with Saints for Gareth Bale.

No mention of personal terms, so not finished yet.

Yep, and evidently Southampton have called SSN and said its not true ... ah the transfer games have begun

According to the beeb

Southampton full-back Gareth Bale will have a medical at Tottenham on Wednesday after the two clubs agreed a fee, reports BBC Radio Wales.
    Saints boss George Burley earlier denied reports a fee had been agreed between the two clubs.

But sources close to the 17-year-old expect him to sign within days.

Spurs had a bid of about £10m accepted by Saints in January, but Welsh international Bale rejected the chance to move to White Hart Lane.

The teenage left-back has only one year left on his contract and was also linked with moves to Arsenal and Manchester United.

But following Southampton's failure to gain promotion this season the prospect of first-team football in the Premiership at Tottenham looks to have been enough to change his mind.

Bale made his debut as a 16-year-old last year for Saints - becoming the second youngest to ever play for the club - and this season he has become a regular for Southampton and Wales.

He became the youngest Welsh international when he played against Trinidad & Tobago in May last year - setting up a late winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

what do we think of bale?looks like a done deal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Haven't seen that much of him-the Youtube stuff looks good as it always does.He was poor in a poor Welsh team against the Republic-seemed to rely on the same shimmy to beat his man.But-Hallelulah-he's left footed!!And his free-kicks are fantastic-a nice variation to have with the right-footed Jenas.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned him but the boy Nani from Portugal appears to be very high on Jols wish-list. I have only seen bits and pieces of him this season but most of the so-called experts rate him very highly. Could be another suprise star signing in the making ;)

Seems like we missed out on Nani at the last minute !!!

Also missed out on Parker

West Ham are believed to be close to sealing a £7m deal for Newcastle captain Scott Parker after fighting off late interest from Tottenham.
    Hammers chief executive Scott Duxbury held late-night talks with Parker's representatives following Spurs' move.

Parker is reportedly set to meet West Ham officials on Thursday after a fee was agreed with the Magpies.

The England midfielder, 26, played under Hammers boss Alan Curbishley when they were both at Charlton.

West Ham are in the market for a central midfielder, with skipper Nigel Reo-Coker set to move this summer.

606: DEBATE
    Is Parker a good signing?

Parker spent seven years with Curbishley at The Valley and made his England debut against Denmark in 2003 before completing a £10m move to Chelsea.

But with first-team opportunities limited at Stamford Bridge, he moved to St James' Park in a £6.5m deal in 2005 and was made skipper last summer.

However, reports suggested Parker struggled to settle in the north-east and was targeting a move south.

New Newcastle manager Allardyce is believed to be eyeing out-of-favour Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton as a potential replacement.

seems like the lad petrov is a bit of a crock !!

Long time Spurs target Martin Petrov has once again been troubled with a knee injury and tests performed have revealed cartilage damage to the right knee.

Martin Jol has been keen to bring the Bulgarian to White Hart Lane to fill his troublesome left- hand side position but may now be put off by Petrov's ongoing injury problems.

Petrov said, "It will be difficult to play in such a condition, I still feel the pain,"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Read on some Italian site in my mates house that Spurs are thinkin of bidding £3mil for Materazzi...

Advertisement